XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2015 last model year for current XK/R...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default 2015 last model year for current XK/R...

I was in for my 45K service on my XKR this morning. I spoke to the sales manager and a sales guy I know. They are after me to get an F Type R coupe.

So they say 2015 is the last year for the current XK. As we already knew, it will be redesigned into a 4 door GT, and they told me it would also receive a new body design that's different from the current look. They said that the car is 2 to 3 years out, so there may be one or to model years where XK's will not be available in any form. The sales manager says the XK has not been selling...very slow. He only has one 2014 on the lot, a vert. He says he will not be ordering any more XK's (with exception of customer requests which he has not received in some time) until the new model comes out. He mentioned that many will not buy new XK's because of the huge depreciation after the 1st year. I asked why the huge depreciation and he said it is because of the age of the platform and the technology in the car - he said it was old technology. I was somewhat taken aback by that but I know these guys know what they are talking about. This dealership is outstanding.

As a side note, my sales guy says the F Type R I want will be $103,750 and that includes *everything*. The F Type R will only have two options - the proximity warning system is one...I can't remember the other - but they were both minor options. *Everything* else will be standard equip on the F Type R. They get their first coupes in April. Interestingly they do not have any pre-orders yet for the coupe.

I personally love my XKR. I will have it for along time God willing. Always sad to see the end of a great generation of cars like ours. The leaked pics of the next gen XK are not even close to the look of the new one or so claimed.

Long live the XK/R!

Old 01-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Four door? Am I hearing you right?!

Old 01-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

I was told 2 doors 4 seats.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by DaimlerMK2
I was told 2 doors 4 seats.
Same here, similarly scaled to the Gran Turismo.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

"They said that the car is 2 to 3 years out."

I'm getting anxious and the F type Coupe R is looking better. There was someone on the F Type section who just traded his XKR for a F Type and said he had no regrets.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

F-Type R or R-S sounds like it might be the way to go if there is no XK. They may be turning the XK in to an A7, CLs, 6 series Gran Coupe.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:01 PM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Yet another reason for someone sitting on the fence to get the latest iteration XK/R ('12 and up) and then keep it pristine for years. When everyone else catches on that this was the last GT lover's Jag, you will be sitting on a rare gem indeed.

I have this future dream where my grown children now own the car and remember fondly going for top-down rides as kids with their Dad. There is definitely a high Emotional Quotient associated with this car.

Hmmm. Maybe it's Planned Nostalgia... Is that even a term?

I call Patent!

Old 01-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I too was told by my friendly salesman that there most likely will be a few years without any XK replacement.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

I guess they really feel they can't have the XK and F-Type competing with each other.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I think that's kind of sad. The F-type is a gorgeous car, but I love my XKR. They're 2 different animals. A 4-door XK???Doesn't sound "right" to me. Even if I was to decide to go with an F-type, I plan on keeping my XKR until cars fly.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
I was in for my 45K service on my XKR this morning. I spoke to the sales manager and a sales guy I know. They are after me to get an F Type R coupe.

So they say 2015 is the last year for the current XK. As we already knew, it will be redesigned into a 4 door GT, and they told me it would also receive a new body design that's different from the current look. They said that the car is 2 to 3 years out, so there may be one or to model years where XK's will not be available in any form. The sales manager says the XK has not been selling...very slow. He only has one 2014 on the lot, a vert. He says he will not be ordering any more XK's (with exception of customer requests which he has not received in some time) until the new model comes out. He mentioned that many will not buy new XK's because of the huge depreciation after the 1st year. I asked why the huge depreciation and he said it is because of the age of the platform and the technology in the car - he said it was old technology. I was somewhat taken aback by that but I know these guys know what they are talking about. This dealership is outstanding.

As a side note, my sales guy says the F Type R I want will be $103,750 and that includes *everything*. The F Type R will only have two options - the proximity warning system is one...I can't remember the other - but they were both minor options. *Everything* else will be standard equip on the F Type R. They get their first coupes in April. Interestingly they do not have any pre-orders yet for the coupe.

I personally love my XKR. I will have it for along time God willing. Always sad to see the end of a great generation of cars like ours. The leaked pics of the next gen XK are not even close to the look of the new one or so claimed.

Long live the XK/R!
Did he happen to know or indicate when the 2015 will be announced or when Jaguar will stop the build of the XK platform . It will be interesting to see if this will cause more depreciation to the existing XK market or will it have the opposite effect.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

I just went to the DC Auto Show. They had a red F-Type R Coupe there. They also had an XK convertible there.

I have to admit, the XK looks very dated next to its brothers and sisters. I can understand why it's not selling and why they're discontinuing it in 2015.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:10 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I just went to the Houston Auto Show and they had a dark gray metallic F-Type R coupe with black/ivory duotone seats and it was very stunning. The bad news is that it is totally impracticle vs. my '13 XKR coupe. Even though the specs say that the area under the hatch is about 11 cu. ft. just like the XKR, in reality they are not even comparable--not sure how they did their measurements. The F-Type area is very narrow and shallow and if you opt for the spare tire it takes up most of that space per the Jaguar guy I talked to at the show. It does not have run-flat tires and they give you a tire repair kit in lieu of a spare tire--no way. There is no room behind the seats, not even a small shelf, to put a briefcase or small packages. This is definitely a weekend toy not to be used as a daily driver or to even chance taking on a trip since you could not put in a spare tire and carry any luggage to speak of. I was considering this as a replacement for my XKR in August but have nixed that idea.

The Jaguar guy also confirmed that 2015 is the last year for the current XK. He also said that the redesigned XK will probably not arrive until 2017--it will still be a 2-door but with a truly usable back seat and will have the family resemblance of the XJ, XF, and F-Type. It will compete with the other top of the line 2-door coupes like the BMW 645, MB CL550, and Maserati GT. Now that Jaguar has a true sports car in the F-Type they feel they need a larger 2-door coupe that can actually carry 4 passengers.

Now, the Aston Martin Vantage S V8 coupe is a whole different story! Lots of usable space under the hatch and a sizable shelf behind the seats. And wow, what a looker! But then you're talking $150K vs. $104K for the F-Type R, both well equipped.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I could be very interested in the Coupe, regardless of the lack of luggage space. Heck, if I need to carry luggage, I take a different car. I have a huge XJL and, guess what; when I need to pick up a couple of people at the airport, there is NOT enough luggage space in that big car. Fine with me, take an other car on those rare occasions.

Let's face it; most people daily drive by themselves so, placing a small bag over on the passenger footwell or seat is fine with me.

I feel very confident that I want the Coupe as I have already saved some configurations on the Jaguar website. One thing that will steer me in a different direction is if Jaguar keeps-on ignoring me regarding my issues with the XJL ride. Repeatedly not returning my calls for 3 months now is getting very old, frustrating and surely will anger me enough to break with my string of Jaguar purchases. Since I have not made any unreasonable demands, you'd think Jaguar would at least try to keep a long time repeat customer happy.

Albert

Old 01-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

The F-Type would have to be a 3rd car for me to be viable. The XKR is currently my wife's car and she does often have someone in the front seat for work and would have to put anything she was carrying in the hatch which is not very convenient, especially if you needed to get to it while driving--she really likes being able to use the "back seat" of the XKR. And forget about going to the grocery store, cleaners, or mall for a major shop. Since my 3rd car garage bay is full of motorcycles and tools, a car like this will have to wait. Too bad--I was hopeful that we would like it because it is very visually appealing and I'm sure the R model is a beast.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:35 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

well it is an old car.. look at the interior and or the gadgets inside.. Mercedes has night vision on their models, massage chairs and much more.. the screen in the XK is not the best resolution wise, nor touch wise.. I think an upgrade was inevitable.. and what to do best than do it completely instead of just adding some more HP's in the bonnet.. I know we had the XK, XK-R then the XKRS and now the XKRS GT.. its all about boosting the engine, the exterior parts, but nothing really innovative

The F type is a new machine, its nice, but its too small for me.. I barely fit in the car, not mentioning my luggage.. or the groceries.

Its sad to see a model go, but can we really be heartbroken? I'm not, while the model will be discontinued, it will be the time to make your car a classic! look at the e-type's value now compared to the original price. as many XK's head to the shredder, your car will ultimately increase in value (after plummeting to near 0)..

and if a good replacement comes along.. who knows.. by the looks of the new XS, maybe the new XK has something in store for all of us.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

I have a hard time believing that they will completely abandon this sideview silhouette:

Stretched it some for more useable rear seat - sure, four doors - please not.

Attached Thumbnails 2015 last model year for current XK/R...-2013-jaguar-xk-red-side-view.jpg  
Old 01-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
I have a hard time believing that they will completely abandon this sideview silhouette:

Stretched it some for more useable rear seat - sure, four doors - please not.
Gorgeous, it is but, yes, dated it also is. I had the same or similar feelings of sorrow to trade my '05 and see the previous generations of XKs replaced by the present one. One could argue that the pre-'06 gen. body lines were even more sensuous than the newer model but, by gosh, dated it was in every other aspects. The upgrades of the new gen were much welcome, at least by me.

The new F-type R coupe will be a welcome addition to those who want a real, dedicated sports car experience. Those will not miss storage room in the car. Sorry for the comparison but, tons of people drive and enjoy those tiny Miatas and don't concern themselves with storage place. If only Jaguar would have delivered a relatively low weight car, in line with its dedicated sports car image. However, as a fair compensation we are offered so much power that cancel any lingering doubts regarding the weight.

Albert

Old 01-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Life is all about change. Everything changes.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

No decry of the XK ceasing for me. What does concern me is what's going to replace it. I am sure it'll hit all the buttons for technology and performance, but it's design that has me nervous. Jag needs the big bonnet and slender silhouette. Maybe they want to step out of Aston's profile on the next one? XK has been an Aston copy cat to some degree. It should diverge to point of not being a British looking car. I have faith in Jaguar getting it right.

Quick Reply: 2015 last model year for current XK/R...