XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

380mm Brakes and tired of dust

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 380mm Brakes and tired of dust

All-I am new but this is my second Jag as I previously had a 2007 XK convert and it was a blast. Sold it and went on to probably five cars since then but ALWAYS lusted after the XKR175. Well, finally the stars aligned and it is even better than I built it up to be. Just had hernia surgery and would waddle to the garage and open the door and PERMA SMILE. Then waddle back to bed and cry since I couldn't drive her. So, trying to keep it as stock as possible but did get the Kasugas chromed and it looks AWESOME.... except for the brake dust. So, if anyone can recommend a great front and rear ceramic low dust but still good performance pad set, that would be awesome. I have used EBC's in the past with good luck but not married to them. On a side note, my Jag dealer thinks he can get the front and rear R stock covers for the calipers. If he can, I will clear coat them and they should be perfect. So, please if anyone can assist with pads and sku's and where to buy, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance-Steve

Attached Thumbnails 380mm Brakes and tired of dust-p1000164.jpg  
Old 02-11-2015, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Since the wheels are newly chromed, I highly suggest that you wash the wheels with a detergent like Dawn. Dry throughly, then use a "cleaning polish", and coat the chrome wheels with a "protective wheel coating".

I use this product on all of my sports car wheels and brake dust just slides off with a water hose.

This 4 oz spray bottle will do many wheels and you can repeat the process about every 6 months or so.

Check this out....

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating

This should help.

Best to you and enjoy the new ride. The XKR is awesome.

Last edited by richzak; 02-11-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

I only use Akebono ceramic pads on my 2005 STR. No dusting at all and they are still good after 70K miles!

Old 02-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Akebonos most certainly will work for your rears. Not sure about the fronts though. Try Centric Posi Quiet which I have in my fronts which work fine. No dust, no noise, stops great.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:45 PM

Guys I appreciate the feedback and would like to know a vendor to purchase these suggested brands. My fear is I will have it up on the lift and realize I have the wrong size pads. I called a place yesterday and he was confused between a xk and xkr and told me they were the same size brakes. Did not inspire any confidence.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:55 AM
Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

I installed Akebonos on my XK last year and have had no dust problem since. I had to go to different websites to find front and rears, (one was TireRack) but once I had the part numbers my installer had no problem getting them.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:46 PM
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Besides EBC you are pretty much stuck with semi metalic pads. I've been looking for ceramic for my car since I bought it and while I have seen some eBay brands that I wouldn't trust say there are ceramic, the later XKR's don't have any ceramic options from centric or akebono.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:05 PM

Rains
I am still eligible for front and rear brakes under the free maintenance plan and was hoping to let the dealer bleed the brake lines and put on new discs and install ceramics all around( that I provided). I did not realize that there is really nothing out there that will fit... I do not want semi-metallic pads please there has to be something that will fit from someone...

Anyone solved this problem?

Also, you are in OKC-if you make it down to big D, let me know. Would love to see another 175. I just got mine recently and have started to delve into it. I was even able to get the factory caliper covers with the metallic R on them and will clear coat them several times before I install them.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:17 PM

EBC's are it for ceramics. Its not like they aren't top quality, just that I know centric ceramics are excellent and not near as pricey.

You should have responded sooner. Drove to Dallas yesterday to pick up a watch and just got back. Definitly could have met up. When I wrote the comment earlier I was bored waiting on my wife sitting in Nordstroms at the galleria.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:58 AM

Darn, I was just puttering in the garage yesterday so that would have been perfect. I could have sent my wife with your wife to shop and we could talk cars.
So, are you saying that Centric makes ceramic pads for our car? If so, would you know the sku number for the front and rears and where to get them? Also, I plan on color sanding the 175 as soon as the weather breaks which will make it look and feel like glass. I have done that with all my cars and typically takes about thirty hours total but to me...well worth it. The paint is in fine shape to start with but I have detailed cars (mostly my own) for thirty years or so. I have garage full of polishes and waxes and must say, Chemical Guys new black series of polishes along with their optical grade V line series just makes our paint color POP!! So, catch me on a weekend that I am free and we can really make your paint look amazing.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by old_dawg
I installed Akebonos on my XK last year and have had no dust problem since. I had to go to different websites to find front and rears, (one was TireRack) but once I had the part numbers my installer had no problem getting them.
I would like to install ceramics on my 08 xkr , do you have the parts no. for for both front & rear & where to purchase. Thanks. Bernie

Old 02-16-2015, 11:51 AM

Nope there is no centric ceramic pad for the later XKR's. I was just saying that EBC's are much more expensive compared to centric for the same vehicle. A full set of EBC's for my wife's car would have cost around $250 where as the centrics I put on her car were $72. Before anyone starts saying you get what you pay for, let me say I know several race teams that trust their lives to StopTech/Centric brakes.