XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5.0 Reliability- Depreciation, is it psychological??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Life is too short for a Roadmaster. Too many better things, screw the sheep, let them fleeced by that junk twice.
Speed too little of compensation for all the rest that is wrong.

The following users liked this post:
pwpacp (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
The Caprice, Roadmaster and Fleetwood all are becoming collector cars because they were end of an era. I absolutely would rock a modded one of those wagons. It's like a V8 sectional couch.
I am sucker for any wagon as well.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Yes depreciation is so irrelevant in the scheme of things.
For instance that Buick Roadmaster listed as the most reliable car.
Who the *** is even going to be caught dead in one.
Its 'Disapreciated' faster than depreciated.

1996 model!!
That RWD V8 LT1 behemoth is a hidden gem and is ultimate sleeper. You could probably get to 350-400HP with just bolt-on parts on under $2500 budget (cam swap, intake, exhaust). If you go all nuts and go for boost, even with junkyard diesel turbo, sky is the limit on what you can hit, especially if you don't care for it to last, as your all-in total is less than what I pay for a new set of tires on my F-type.

I wouldn't rag on this car, as it makes you look foolish in the eyes of people who know American muscle.

Here is good article so you can educate yourself: https://www.drivingline.com/articles...master-estate/

Last edited by SinF; 01-08-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Cee Jay (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
That RWD V8 LT1 behemoth is a hidden gem and is ultimate sleeper. You could probably get to 350-400HP with just bolt-on parts on under $2500 budget (cam swap, intake, exhaust). If you go all nuts and go for boost, even with junkyard diesel turbo, sky is the limit on what you can hit, especially if you don't care for it to last, as your all-in total is less than what I pay for a new set of tires on my F-type.

I wouldn't rag on this car, as it makes you look foolish in the eyes of people who know American muscle.
There's something to be said for a big old American muscle car with tons of room, mediocre handling, but lots of scoot, especially since these things even now are very cheap. You can fix them with a hammer, channel lock pliers and a crescent wrench on a fast food workers budget.

The fun part about modding cheaper cars is that you don't have huge repair bills when you break it while beating on it.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
I want to look foolish in the eyes of anyone who thinks that cartoon in worth power.
They would also think I am foolish to put the same effort in a Jag mk2.

The concept/definition of a sleeper is a hilarious one. Not unlike the woodgrain on the side.
Something that was considered no big deal when it was new- has been allowed to rot and now hotter than ever.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

I want to look foolish in the eyes of anyone who thinks that cartoon in worth power.
They would also think I am foolish to put the same effort in a Jag mk2.

The concept/definition of a sleeper is a hilarious one. Not unlike the woodgrain on the side.
Something that was considered no big deal when it was new- has been allowed to rot and now hotter than ever.
I think youre just getting off on making your thread 20 pages long.

Last edited by Brewtech; 01-08-2019 at 02:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brewtech:
Cee Jay (01-08-2019), SinF (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,155 Likes on 3,088 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewtech

I think you're just getting off on making your thread 20 pages long.
That's why he usually posts three or four times in a row with one "thought".
I've had him on "Ignore" for some months now, and only see what he writes when it get quoted.
Now I'm not pissed every time I read the Forum. Feels good, man.

AVMiii (01-10-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

If no one posted it sure would be peaceful on the forum. >_>

Then why would there be a reason to show up? <_<

Cee Jay (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Its winter here in the northern hemisphere so I have nothing else pressing to do.....if not entertained here, just don't log in.

Cee Jay (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

Its definitely entertaining. I love the banter, the ideas, the worries, the drama of being in a conversation. But there comes a moment when the coversation goes into broken record mode. So we gotta shake up the platform a bit. Get the music going again. Sometimes acquaintances have to help each other, by simply calling each other out. I just love it love it love it!

The following 2 users liked this post by Brewtech:
Cee Jay (01-08-2019), pwpacp (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

I thought its a very pertinent question: Why put energy into a Roadmaster when there are so many better examples of design and only one life.
It was definitely food for jovial discussion. And maybe even an answer if the concept of reliability is emotional.

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Now I'm not pissed every time I read the Forum. Feels good, man.
Prozac will let you read any forum without getting pissed.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 01-08-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

Recalling Roadmaster stories brings tears to my eyes...

My father's last car in life was a 1996 Buick Roadmaster. It had over 150,000 miles on it when he passed. He purchased it in 1998 with 11,000 miles on it for a great price. No one wanted the huge monstrosity so the dealer sold it cheap. As far as I remember, all that was ever done to the car, besides oil changes, was a brake job, new shocks and tires and an A/C recharge. I don't think the plugs were ever changed. (We put in Ranchero lift shocks in the back to help when he towed a trailer. It accelerated quickly for such a big car, but it was a real turd on the corners. Didn't matter to my dad because it was his freeway cruiser. My brother inherited it and used it as his race car tow vehicle until it had about 200,000 miles on it. He recycled it in 2010 when the transmission was starting to go and it was burning too much oil.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:01 AM
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

this is an interesting, if rambling thread.

i just sold my 2012 XF in preparation for buying something new and am thinking about the reliability and depreciation issues. i had planned on a 2014 or 2015 XKR, unless i could find a great deal on a new F Type R, but i'm waffling. i loved my XF, but the depreciation hit was big and i did have to replace the water pump about 6 months after the warranty expired, funny how that worked....$1300.

so i find myself researching a Lexus LC500 or the new Genesis G70...

Old 01-20-2019, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

If you're worried about reliability and depreciation, why are you looking at a Lexus LC500 and Genesis G70? Don't worry, be happy. Buy a Prius.

Depreciation comes with the territory when you buy any new luxury car. And reliability decreases as horsepower and bells and whistles increase. You can minimize these expenses by buying the oldest model Certified Pre Owned vehicle with the longest remaining warranty, and consider buying an Extended Service Contract for after the CPO warranty expires.

If you are a business owner or key executive, get a company luxury car and thank your employer for taking the hit for depreciation and repairs.

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-20-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I'd go for LC500 in a heart beat. Oddly, we dropped of our XE at the Jag dealer yesterday for tire replacements and my wife & I were just past the dealership when she turned her head real quick at a car (which she never does) and it was LC500.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by uclabrruin1989
this is an interesting, if rambling thread.

i just sold my 2012 XF in preparation for buying something new and am thinking about the reliability and depreciation issues. i had planned on a 2014 or 2015 XKR, unless i could find a great deal on a new F Type R, but i'm waffling. i loved my XF, but the depreciation hit was big and i did have to replace the water pump about 6 months after the warranty expired, funny how that worked....$1300.

so i find myself researching a Lexus LC500 or the new Genesis G70...
I sympathize with the depreciation hit on the XF, which is particularly hard and unfair. Its probably due to same reason that Ford got out of making sedans altogether.
Here is one thing that will save you some grief on the next round. Even steep depreciating cars have a point on the curve where they plateau. Or most of the 'unfair' depreciation is taken out of it.

My prediction is that the LC500 will depreciate hard. Sadly because it is a nice car. But it was not well received for reasons I dont understand.
The Ftype is huge hit. So years down the road when you go to sell it, there will be someone lusting for it.
Forget the G70, life is too short to blend in with the maximas and camrys.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:33 PM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick Wong
In your original thread where you discussed whether you should trade your 370Z for the Jag, or not, do you recall that I told you: 1) do not buy the Jaguar if you are going to be upset with a four-digit dealer repair bill; 2) check with your local dealer if you are worried about what the cost of an oil change is going to be; 3) do your due diligence to make sure the proposed trade is fair, and 4) your current method of buying a new Japanese vehicle and trading every three years seemed to work well for you since you basically need the reliability of a simple household appliance.

You apparently ignored all of that advice and traded the 370Z for the Jaguar. Now you have buyer's remorse.

There is a saying that the two happiest days that a yacht (or Jaguar) owner experiences, are the day that s/he buys the item, and the day s/he sells that same item. It sounds like this saying is applicable to you since you are not going to give the Jaguar a chance to see what ownership of that car is like.

I realize this sentiment is shared by a large proportion of forum members. Personally I do not understand why you would buy an XK, especially a newer one, take a huge annual depreciation hit, and not even get enjoyment out of driving the car. If you consider the XK to be part of your auto museum collection, then OK. Otherwise, you are just keeping the XK in pristine condition for its next owner who will pay much less than you did, when you are ready to sell.
My car is bought to be driven as often as possible. My mileage is lower than the norm because I’m fortunate enough to be self employed and work from home, plus day to day work requires an estate car for storage space.

The XK-R though is used for business meetings and any excuse I can think of to climb in it.

i bought it to enjoy driving it and I do.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

I am not sure I would be comfortable with a used LC500 down the road.

Cost of ownership of a used luxury sports coupe is not linear with the price the sports coupe depreciates to.

In the case of the Jaguar I look at the risks and say yes. I have the advantage of looking back at the history.

With the Lexus that is an unknown.

Given that Jaguar did not release a new 2+2 after the last XK, the LC500 is the closest to a replacement on the market.

I would consider it against a Porsche 911; and that says a lot.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

But it was not well received for reasons I dont understand.
Similar to the Edsel I suppose.

Someone comes up with a meme related to the car; and a certain set of people share over and over.

They made a car that evokes motion while it is still. Amazing. I love the attention to detail in the grill cover, the way the size of the netting warps with the size of the grill.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,155 Likes on 3,088 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren

Given that Jaguar did not release a new 2+2 after the last XK, the LC500 is the closest to a replacement on the market.

I would consider it against a Porsche 911; and that says a lot.
Uh, there is a MUCH better choice than the LC500...

pwpacp (01-20-2019)

Quick Reply: 5.0 Reliability- Depreciation, is it psychological??