XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

5.0 Reliability- Depreciation, is it psychological??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Zahmed1094
I keep reading this thread and wavering like crazy. You make the very points I am dealing with. Some say to expect $$$ repairs and maintenance, others say they have had no problems. I think that if I have to pay $3-$5k plus the Jaguar for a Japanese coupe (2016-2017), maybe I should keep it aside and use it in case of a breakdown but then again, it may not be enough dollars. If I kept it for a while, put on more miles, the car is worth less in trade, I dont know what I am going to do. As I said earlier, I have gotten in the car, started driving to a dealership to make a deal and then turned around thinking its such a god car.
youre pussyfooting. Gotta grab those cojones, throw em over your shoulder and charge!!!! Live life. We all worry about maintenance or a breakdown but you shouldn'tcause yourself so much mental anguish. If it makes you feel better, Hyundai uses your transmission, Ford and Lincoln used your V8. The rest also belongs to other inexpensive vehicles. Only cool thing is... it shares the same platform as an AM DB8. Hard to beat that with reliability worries.

Last edited by Brewtech; 12-21-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
I think an important distinction that may be missed in my posts; when I speak of a perception of Jaguar unreliability
It was not missed at all, it is the core of the discussion- the false perception that is reality.

Thats what we are flushing out, how much of the reliability is imagined. Pretty interesting though that LR4 owners dont seem to have the same monsters- and their cars are lasting 150k++

Yeah F1 burning oil as a means of fuel is pretty clever.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:37 AM
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Zahmed1094
I keep reading this thread and wavering like crazy. You make the very points I am dealing with. Some say to expect $$$ repairs and maintenance, others say they have had no problems. I think that if I have to pay $3-$5k plus the Jaguar for a Japanese coupe (2016-2017), maybe I should keep it aside and use it in case of a breakdown but then again, it may not be enough dollars. If I kept it for a while, put on more miles, the car is worth less in trade, I dont know what I am going to do. As I said earlier, I have gotten in the car, started driving to a dealership to make a deal and then turned around thinking its such a god car.
In your original thread where you discussed whether you should trade your 370Z for the Jag, or not, do you recall that I told you: 1) do not buy the Jaguar if you are going to be upset with a four-digit dealer repair bill; 2) check with your local dealer if you are worried about what the cost of an oil change is going to be; 3) do your due diligence to make sure the proposed trade is fair, and 4) your current method of buying a new Japanese vehicle and trading every three years seemed to work well for you since you basically need the reliability of a simple household appliance.

You apparently ignored all of that advice and traded the 370Z for the Jaguar. Now you have buyer's remorse.

There is a saying that the two happiest days that a yacht (or Jaguar) owner experiences, are the day that s/he buys the item, and the day s/he sells that same item. It sounds like this saying is applicable to you since you are not going to give the Jaguar a chance to see what ownership of that car is like.

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
... Yes the idea is not to put the wear and tear on your beauty.
I realize this sentiment is shared by a large proportion of forum members. Personally I do not understand why you would buy an XK, especially a newer one, take a huge annual depreciation hit, and not even get enjoyment out of driving the car. If you consider the XK to be part of your auto museum collection, then OK. Otherwise, you are just keeping the XK in pristine condition for its next owner who will pay much less than you did, when you are ready to sell.

Last edited by Patrick Wong; 12-21-2018 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Simon Tan (01-14-2019)
Old 12-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Patrick Wong
In your original thread where you discussed whether you should trade your 370Z for the Jag, or not, do you recall that I told you: 1) do not buy the Jaguar if you are going to be upset with a four-digit dealer repair bill; 2) check with your local dealer if you are worried about what the cost of an oil change is going to be; 3) do your due diligence to make sure the proposed trade is fair, and 4) your current method of buying a new Japanese vehicle and trading every three years seemed to work well for you since you basically need the reliability of a simple household appliance.

You apparently ignored all of that advice and traded the 370Z for the Jaguar. Now you have buyer's remorse.

There is a saying that the two happiest days that a yacht (or Jaguar) owner experiences, are the day that s/he buys the item, and the day s/he sells that same item. It sounds like this saying is applicable to you since you are not going to give the Jaguar a chance to see what ownership of that car is like.
I agree he should now sell it- he can probably get $18k right here.
The reason being there can be no upshot since he has worked himself to this perception.
And the car is not going to get better.

I would like to take a poll.
Has any 4.2 owner here had to spend $10k in repairs?

Old 12-21-2018, 10:53 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

10,000$US on repairs? Rubbish.

The following 3 users liked this post by NBCat:
80sRule (12-21-2018), Queen and Country (12-21-2018), ralphwg (12-22-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Asside from anything accident related, not in my garage!

Queen and Country (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Hahahaha, my much older X100 and X308 with the very similar 4.0L engines haven't cost that over 8 and 4 years respectively. The X150 4.2L should be MORE than capable of running on a reasonable budget.

With any new car, you have for the most part, the best reliability that car is likely to ever have; but you have the invisible aspect of depreciation that you take the hit for when you sell, and the longer you hold it, the more you risk having both this downside of a new car and the downside of a used car. With a used car, you will have to work with preventative maintenance and reactive maintenance to ensure continued service, and you pay as you go; but you pay less in overall depreciation. You take a hit, where you take it and how much you take need to be taken into consideration. Even if you DIY like I do, you take a time and effort hit rather than a financial one.

There is no free lunch. Jaguar, Nissan, Ferrari, Corvette, etc. NO FREE LUNCH.

The following 3 users liked this post by 80sRule:
pwpacp (12-21-2018), Queen and Country (12-21-2018), ralphwg (12-22-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

I realize this sentiment is shared by a large proportion of forum members. Personally I do not understand why you would buy an XK, especially a newer one, take a huge annual depreciation hit, and not even get enjoyment out of driving the car. If you consider the XK to be part of your auto museum collection, then OK. Otherwise, you are just keeping the XK in pristine condition for its next owner who will pay much less than you did, when you are ready to sell.
I bought the XKR as a daily driver to put gazillions of miles on it. Commuting to business meetings.
Then I got awestruck by its quality and fell in love. To me its a Rolls Royce.
And I was right. I have been able to enjoy that feeling for years on end, and have that for each and every time i want to feel special. (so zero depreciation)
For driving across mundane highways, through middle of the country I have the SUV witch has its own charms. And gets beat to death. Its even saved my life on more than one occasion.
Are there some drives where I have wished I had the Jag..
While driving the Oregon coastline in my then 5 year old Chevy. I wished that I had the Jaguar- till I blew a fuel pump. 3 days and $1800 later I was on the road. can you imagine that situation with an exotic.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Zahmed, I do a lot of cross country driving in my American suv.
Jaguar is made for it, But even finding tires in some towns will cause you delays.
Any 10 year old car on a long trip with someone in your position is not a good idea.

Do you remember the old Camel cigarette adds where he builds a raft to get his Jeep across the water.
That's how resourceful you have to be. That's why they advised rental cars. Yes the idea is not to put the wear and tear on your beauty.
I had a current year rental Nissan break down on me in Oklahoma City, pretty much dead center of the country east-west for my trip.

We were put in a nicer rental car, and on our way.

Rental cars are perhaps the opposite of warranty's in that you can know if you will be using it or not. In my case two drivers alternating shifts cross country can put 5,000+ miles to get a race day and back.

It also lets me own a 2+2, great for what I enjoy; but then have some other vehicle of a size to carry helmets, racing suites, normal luggage, and have room to sleep in on the go.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

I spend the night in Danbury CT, there to see Wall St guy in his summer mansion. So I am thinking its upmarket place.
Go to my rental car in the morning at the good hotel and the driver side window is is smashed.
Can you imagine how long it would have taken to get that window in a Jag. Not to mention forever living with glass chards.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:19 PM

...the driver side window is is smashed.
Can you imagine how long it would have taken to get that window in a Jag. Not to mention forever living with glass chards.
I don't know about the door sliding glass - however I had occasion to replace the right rear quarter fixed glass on my 07 coupe in early 2017 soon after buying the car, because the glass just shattered while the car was sitting in the driveway (perhaps due to high summer temps here in southern AZ.) Anyway, I contacted a local auto glass shop, and they got the correct Pilkington glass the next day. I thought that was pretty good considering my location in the southwest US.

The best part was learning my auto insurance covers all glass breakage without imposing a deductible.

ralphwg (12-22-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

The best part was learning my auto insurance covers all glass breakage without imposing a deductible.
It took me almost two years find a windshield for my '85 Alfa GTV6. Insurance would not pay for a used one and I finally was able to have a new windshield shipped from Russia.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I've "only" got an STR (so it's a 4.2 SC but not an XK) but my repairs over 8+ years are less than that in total.

Depreciation over those years may be about that. So, cheap motoring, really

Queen and Country (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 03:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, a trade is out of the question now. I went to a car dealer, looked over a 2016 Honda Accord coupe with 25k miles they had listed for $23k. I parked my car next to it and had already changed my mind about trading my 2007 KK when the sales guy comes over with his manager, offers me $15k for mine (with 29k miles on it) and wants an $8k difference. I say politely that I will sell my car privately and maybe return. I am in my car, backing out when the sales guy runs up and says that they will offer me $20k, that my car is "very clean" and he has persuaded the manager to accept a $2k difference. I say that I am hungry, will think about it and left.

I then went to check out a 2015 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Ultimate with 28k miles listed for $2399. The sales manager came out, looked at my car, pulled up a 2008 KX in red/bronze on his phone, said he sold it just a couple of weeks ago for $24000, that he could give me $19k for mine because, after all, they are in the business for profit and he could probably sell my car for $21k. I was not tempted, but in any case, the Genesis Coupe had just come into that dealership, supposedly had not been "detailed" and it reeked of cigarette smoke.

By the time I drove home, I was so happy with the Jaguar feeling that some mentioned that I am now committed to keeping it. So, no more waffling and posts about this topic from me.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

Welcome to the machine my son! Pink Floyd Shall be your guide.

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine
What did you dream?
It's alright we told you what to dream
You dreamed of a big star
He played a mean guitar
He always ate in the Steak Bar
He loved to drive in his Jaguar
So welcome to the machine

Roger Waters

Zahmed1094 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
I've "only" got an STR (so it's a 4.2 SC but not an XK) but my repairs over 8+ years are less than that in total.

Depreciation over those years may be about that. So, cheap motoring, really
Funny thing I was just reading a post on my Lexus form and one of the guys got a dealer quote to replace the head gasket on his 2008 ES350. . The price was $7000 .

Etypephil (12-23-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 04:26 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Funny thing I was just reading a post on my Lexus form and one of the guys got a dealer quote to replace the head gasket on his 2008 ES350. . The price was $7000 .
But to the public, that's okay if it's a Toyota. If that were a Jaguar, it would conjure up 'see, I told you Jaguars are unreliable' comments.

The following 6 users liked this post by NBCat:
Cee Jay (12-21-2018), Etypephil (12-23-2018), jackra_1 (12-21-2018), pwpacp (12-21-2018), Queen and Country (12-21-2018), sov211 (12-21-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-21-2018, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
That person instead, should buy a used engine and have that installed.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Dare I say it- there is undeniably a bit of fair-game anglophobia in all of this. Perhaps even orchestrated by the competition.
Just as there was once against brilliant Japanese craftsmanship that folks called trinkets.
Fiats were called Fix It Again Tony. While those great cars built the rest of the world
The 'typical lousy British engineering' comment in print no less, put a point on it.

So far the facts do not add up to the criticism.
One person said they had to replace their rubbish transmission- made by ZF in Germany.
Who has been unable to make a MT that handles torque.
Ricardo of UK makes the trans for the monstrous torque of the Veyron

Old 12-21-2018, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
10,000$US on repairs? Rubbish.
The cost of repairs on my 2007 XK during the 6 years of ownership was exactly ZERO, not a single penny spent in repairs. And I let it go only to exercise (or should I say exorcise) my inner hooligan in a (fabulous) F-Type - but the XK is still in the family and still has not needed a single repair (and it is used daily).
So unreliable, these Jaguars - at least, that is what I keep hearing (almost entirely from people who have never even driven one).

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Cee Jay (12-22-2018), NBCat (12-21-2018)

Quick Reply: 5.0 Reliability- Depreciation, is it psychological??