XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5 hours later

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 5 hours later

Cunning plan was just to give car a quick wash. Quick wash turned into a full detail and has taken me the best part of 4 hours;
Wash and dry
Clay bar
Cutting compound
Polish
Carnouba wax (tempted to give her a second coat!)

The upside is that she is looking fantastic, the down side is that when you pay that close attention to the bodywork you notice all the little blemishes! Tomorrow I have the soft top roof to condition. I have Chips Away coming to look at a couple of minor dings!

Attached Thumbnails 5 hours later-wax3.jpg   5 hours later-wax2.jpg   5 hours later-wax1.jpg  
Old 05-02-2015, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Nice finish - wish I had the time/energy/patience...

Old 05-02-2015, 10:05 PM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice work. I think it's worth the effort. I am detailing mine tomorrow. Wife and kids out of town so now is the chance!

Old 05-03-2015, 02:18 AM

Thanks, I seemed to have been relieved of taxiing duties for the afternoon and I had been continuous walkingly past the box of detailing goodies I bought way back in January. It was more or less perfect weather for it, a bit overcast, so I bit the bullet and got on with it. Well wort the effort at the end of the day! I think I may look at a polidher/detailing machine for next time though!

Old 05-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

I just spent that much time on my '09 Venza with only 30K miles. Got into the engine bay too!

Old 05-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I find it relaxing to wash and detail my car. I enjoy it. I have to admit that I had never used a clay bar before a couple of weeks ago, and I'm shocked! I had an area on my coupe's roof that was rough like overspray, although it was not visible to the naked eye. I had bought a Meguiar's Clay bar kit maybe 6 months ago, and it sat in my garage. I first used a scratch remover, then a cleaner wax, followed by a finish wax about three weeks ago. Even after doing this, the area was still as rough as before (albeit with 3 coats of was on it). I decided to try the clay bar for the first time. I admit I was nervous. I sprayed the detailer lubricant supplied in the kit, and then gently (barely touching the metal) "dragged" the lump of clay that I had kneaded a bit to soften across the area with just a single pass. To my utter disbelief, the area was as smoothe as a baby's bottom after that single pass. I'm a believer now, it's magic!!

Old 05-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Yes, I used them a couple of times and am always delighted by the outcome.
I use a detailing spray and keep it wet.
Those clays are magic!

Old 05-03-2015, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Nice work JP ....looking good, just in time for the upcoming meet too!!

A little tyre shine on those tyres and some inside the wheel wells to show off those lovely alloys too.

Just used cutting compound on Connors X type and did my XJ the other day too....( man she's a big car )
Need to get them both topped off with Poorboys Blackhole and then some Nattys blue paste wax to seal the shine. Looking forward to the end results just not the hours I have to put in....lol

Old 05-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

My experience was similar to tberg's. I had my car a year before I clayed it, I had polished it a few times and it always had a rough patch around the front quarter panel, like overspray. Anyway it came up like magic. And noticeable too, I get more looks and comments when it is just polished.

The following users liked this post:
tberg (05-03-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 07:13 AM

Normal service just returned to arms, shoulders and back after the detailing!! Seriously considering a polisher, the only drawback is the potential return of the swirls that I have just spent hours getting rid off! Car is also going into dealer for service and MOT next week and I will probably advise them not to wash the car as I dare say they will dry it with a chamois and re-introduce the swirls! Is this being to "fussy"???

Old 05-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Not being too fussy at all. I went through the same thing with mine a few weeks ago. Cut and buffed the swirls out and then sealed her up. I'm super cautious with drying with the wrong material as those swirls took me half a day to get out with a proper buffer. Not to mention the time it took me to clean all the wax that was introduced to the rubber that wasn't covered by tape.

Great job and I highly recommend a good quality buffer to save on some of the shoulder pain.

Regards,
D. Fricke

Old 05-04-2015, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaggy Pat
Normal service just returned to arms, shoulders and back after the detailing!! Seriously considering a polisher, the only drawback is the potential return of the swirls that I have just spent hours getting rid off! Car is also going into dealer for service and MOT next week and I will probably advise them not to wash the car as I dare say they will dry it with a chamois and re-introduce the swirls! Is this being to "fussy"???
JP - Do as did in my Audi days.
Make sure to tell the service advisor "DO NOT WASH" my car and insists he puts it in bold on the service sheet.
Additionally - Have 2 A4 sheets and add "DO NOT WASH" in big bold letters, one for the drivers seat and one for the passengers seat, so there can be no confusion.

It's not OTT in the slightest, just a simple request that they do not provide this service.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:45 PM

Sounds like a plan, thanks Jim.
Thats the roof now hoovered! Cleaned and conditioned! Had to wash the car again just in case the roof cleaners got on the paintwork! Does t detains ling lark ever end!! Must admit it is worth it now it's done!

Old 05-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

I know JP....

Over the past week or so, I've had my wheels off and cleaned inside n out, hubs painted stock silver and calipers painted gloss black.
Now changed my mind and ordered Ferarri Rosso Red and awaiting delivery, wheels off again, probably touch up the hubs whilst I'm there and a couple of coats at least of Red on the calipers.
The red centre caps should be a nice touch when they arrive too.

Over the weekend I've claybarred the entire car ( she's a big sucker, washed and dried and then a cutting compound on the paint to reduce / minimise the swirls.
A few hours today with some Poorboys Blackhole really made the paintwork SHINE.

More to follow...

Old 05-05-2015, 11:48 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

That is a wonderful way to spend a weekend morning!