XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Adaptive Headlight warning light

Old 11-14-2018, 09:31 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi all

one other thing I wanted to bring up here. Anyone here had experienced Adaptive Headlights Failure due to bad earth connection?

I have read some information that bad earth, which is apparently located in the wheel arches, could also be the culprit. Any such experience here?

thanks
ter

Old 11-14-2018, 09:43 AM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Can you post a link to the thread when you find it?

Thanks

Old 11-14-2018, 09:59 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

I would have guessed that he was referring to the thread linked in his sig.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...x-junk-178422/

The following users liked this post:
Ranchero50 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by christ
I would have guessed that he was referring to the thread linked in his sig.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...x-junk-178422/
thanks! Could not see it in mobile mode.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:28 PM

Hi all

I have bought an Autel Ap200 OBD scanner, which is quite mighty.

Amongst other I have found the following error codes that point to my problem with the swivel headlights (read above: intermittently left headlight pointing down, AFS warning light blinking).

Translation of green section above: circuit swivel motor, headlight left.

Translation of green section above: circuit low beam left

Any further insights with these codes?

br
ter

Old 07-07-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ter11
Hi all

I have bought an Autel Ap200 OBD scanner, which is quite mighty.

Amongst other I have found the following error codes that point to my problem with the swivel headlights (read above: intermittently left headlight pointing down, AFS warning light blinking).

Translation of green section above: circuit swivel motor, headlight left.

Translation of green section above: circuit low beam left

Any further insights with these codes?

br
ter
All,

After peaceful 4 month with AFS, sice about 3 weeks my XK (2011, 15k miles) is unfortunately naging me again intermittently, but almost every day at least once with the AFS failure blinking light and the left headlight then points down. Does anybody get such in AFS trouble at this low mileage?

Today I have dug into the workshop manual to look for the two codes I retrieved with my new OBD reader the other day:

B1D6401:
- Left Headlamp Swiveling Motor circuit - General Electrical Failure
- Internal Headlamp Motor Fault, Internal Headlamp Circuit Fault
- Turn the Headlamp Switch on, cycle the ignition state to start the engine, look for any errors in the Headlamp Beam movement (compare with other headlamp) and visually inspect the lamp for internal damage or dislocation (ball joints out). If no faults are evident refer to the electrical circuit diagrams and check for circuit fault between the Headlamp Power Module and the Headlamp Swiveling Motor. If no mechanical or circuit faults are evident suspect headlamp internal fault, replace as required. Refer to the new module/component installation note at the top
of the DTC Index

B1D0013:
- Front left low beam control circuit open load
- Circuit open
- Refer to the electrical circuit diagrams and test front leftlow beam control circuit for high resistance

If anybody has a tip for me how to proceed - keep it coming...
BR, ter

Last edited by Ter11; 07-08-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:37 PM
Cool

Hi all,

Today some more playing around with the OBD reader and my AFS failure. When I started the car this time I had the AFS failure light blinking right away. So I again had the reader scan for failure codes and as only permanent code found the above mentioned B1D6401 error code. I then deleted all codes, including this one, and now interesting what happened ...

On the first deletion attempt for error code B1D6401, I could hear acoustically and see from the headlight beams moving on the garage wall in front of me that during the code deletion procedure the headlights were going through full movement. My problem causing left headlight however did only some movements, a bit of mechanical noise and failed the full movements, so the error was back after 1 second.

On the second deletion attempt however the left headlight also moved fully through the movements and the error was deleted and Afs blinking light gone. Yes!

Then I went for a very short test drive with no more AFS warning. And I could see a headlight beam in front of me doing swivel movements. BUT it was only one beam and indeed when I got out of the car the right (!!!) headlight xenon burner was dark. Mind you, the right one, not the left one, which was causing afs trouble. No failure message in the dash at all, not afs not anything about failing bulb or similar.

Then I turned car off and locked. Then open and engine start: everything back to normal, both xenons working and Afs as well. No failure message in dash.

Then I had the car about 20 minutes locked. Then restart and Afs still ok. I also scaned for dtc failure codes via ODB and also here Afs now ok. Only interesting code I found was sporadic B1D0113 reading “Front right low beam control circuit open“ (translation). This I guess is the corresponding code to the one above mentioned in my other post (B1D0013) and I assume these are codes for some kind of loss of power in left or right headlight and the one printed in bold here above corresponds to my right xenon burner not working before. But, these two codes probably have nothing to do with Afs failure.

I keep u posted if any news. Any comments welcome.

BR
Ter

Last edited by Ter11; 07-09-2019 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:49 PM

Everybody,

unfortunately simply deleting error codes was not going to solve my AFS issue right away. The afs failure in my left headlight was back today morning, as always announced by the annoying amber blinking light.

So I came again tonight with the obd reader to delete the error code B1D6401. But this time I did so while standing in front of the car watching what the headlights do then they go through the movements during the code deletion procedure. So I found out that my left headlight does a pretty awful mechanical sound (milling, cog wheel crunching) when doing the reset movement to center/down position, while the right ok headlight does very much the same movement, but without this mechanical noise.

This leads me to believe that the problem must definitely be a mechanical one in the vicinity of the swivel motor of the left headlight. So I will need to open the headlight and see if I find something in there that I can attempt to fix. If I destroy the headlight in these attempts I will anyway need to get an expensive new one.

Br
ter

Last edited by Ter11; 07-10-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:23 PM
Received 695 Likes on 349 Posts

Take Ranchero's advice above. I had this problem a few days ago when I replaced my daytime lights with LEDs. Wires inside there were chafed beyond belief. Wish I had a pic.

Remove the headlamp unit and access the side beam and inner daytime bulb. You will see sheathing missing in those wires. You will see bare wire exposed for those bulbs. Cover them up and make sure they are not touching each other. Check the other wires inside the headlight unit as well and repair as needed.

I guarantee chaffed wires are causing the AFS light blinking like crazy.

Ter11 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by gkubrak
Take Ranchero's advice above. I had this problem a few days ago when I replaced my daytime lights with LEDs. Wires inside there were chafed beyond belief. Wish I had a pic.

Remove the headlamp unit and access the side beam and inner daytime bulb. You will see sheathing missing in those wires. You will see bare wire exposed for those bulbs. Cover them up and make sure they are not touching each other. Check the other wires inside the headlight unit as well and repair as needed.

I guarantee chaffed wires are causing the AFS light blinking like crazy.

Thanks. Will open the headlight and lets see what I find in there.

Br
ter

Old 07-13-2019, 12:07 PM

Got headlight out today. Wiring inside looks pretty ok to me. But I can now see that why the swivel mechanism is making noises. Because it seems to be jumping over threads of a barrel-type cog, when it hits the end of the swivel range. So my conclusion is that something with the stop blocker at the end of the swivel range is broken.

See yourself..

Video perspective. We are looking inside the headlight from the back. The metal square you can see on the left top side is the backside of the Xenon HID bulb. In the middle you see the golden colored barrel-type cog wheel.

Attached Thumbnails Adaptive Headlight warning light-ec99bcb7-82b7-48ad-af76-375063d05747.jpeg   Adaptive Headlight warning light-053f76a4-3d5f-4ed7-8a79-f53a4305c52c.jpeg   Adaptive Headlight warning light-eca3333c-7d24-461c-aa0a-c38eadb28461.jpeg  

Last edited by Ter11; 07-14-2019 at 03:35 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:27 PM

And here another video shot, this time the headlight is out again and we are looking at the same area, but much better visibility, because the Xenon HID bulb is out.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Yesterday, while driving, the flashing warning appeared on my dash, and at my next stop, I forgot to pound the lights before I took off, and the warning light was still flashing. At my next stop, I got out open handed slammed each headlight 3 times, locked and unlocked the doors, got back in and started her, no more flashing warning, lights functioning properly.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:17 AM

All

I have taken the entire left headlight apart as much as possible. I also had it connected to the car with open mechanics of the swivel device. It really seems that either the swivel motor itself or the controller for the side movement of the headlight are faulty. And unfortunately the lamp now moves even more strange than before. Same AFS fault still reported in dashboard and same Dtc code.

When connected, the motor moves quite erratic and slow. It gets hot after some minutes if I leave it spinning outside the mount. However I cannot find any visible dislocated cable or any other problem, that I could mend. I could also not open the motor more than as you can see on the pictures. As a hope of last resort I flushed the naked motor with WD40.

Right now I assume there is no way around a new headlight.

Br
ter

Last edited by Ter11; 07-18-2019 at 09:21 AM.
gkubrak (07-22-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 05:05 AM

On Monday I will be calling the Jag dealer to order a new headlight. Can anybody here confirm that the new OEM headlight comes complete ready to be used, or are there parts that need to be reused from the old headlight, such as the HID bulb or some of the other various light bulbs, ballast, power module, rubber grommets, anything else...?

If some needs to be reused, I’d consider to get a new HID bulb, maybe also other bulbs and one of the rubber grommets I lost.

Br
ter

Old 07-22-2019, 01:08 PM

In case anybody needs this info in the future:

The AFS headlight comes with absolutely everything included. Not only all bulbs but also the washer, ballast and the power module behind the headlight. Plug n play...

The only stuff you need from the old one: 3 mounting screews and the connector tube for the washer.

Cost: approx. 2080.- Swiss Francs. (incl. tax)

I have exchanged the left headlight. After one ignition cycle the AFS warning was gone and stays gone. Let’s hope this is the final (expensive) solution to my AFS issue.

Br
ter

guy (06-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2019, 02:16 PM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

What do the adaptive headlights actually do? I see mine go up and down when I start the car, but otherwise I do not notice them moving. Do they only go up and down, or do they swivel side to side? I do see a cornering light switch on when turning, but never notice the headlights doing anything. Maybe I just haven't paid close enough attention.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,148 Likes on 3,084 Posts

Originally Posted by 110reef
What do the adaptive headlights actually do? I see mine go up and down when I start the car, but otherwise I do not notice them moving. Do they only go up and down, or do they swivel side to side? I do see a cornering light switch on when turning, but never notice the headlights doing anything. Maybe I just haven't paid close enough attention.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:37 AM
Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Adaptive headlight fail - ground connection

Originally Posted by BlueXKR-S
Can you post a link to the thread when you find it?

Thanks
My experience:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...1/#post1856146

This affects only Right Hand Side headlight, but once the fault was flagged up, both headlights misbehaved.
I think my earth point had been "repaired" before.

Good luck.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make that SIX as I got the same warning this morning and I have a 2011 USA XKR

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adaptive Headlight warning light