XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Aftermarket Exhaust Crackle

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Aftermarket Exhaust Crackle

Personally, I like the crackle on overrun and I'm looking to get an aftermarket exhaust for my 2008 XKR.

The options are Milltek, Quicksliver, KKS, Larini and Mina (I've heard the Mina deletes the crackle on NA engines but what about the supercharged XKR?)

So, my question is which one if any actually gives more overrun crackle than the OEM exhaust?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

The Xkr-s exhaust has a good amount of crackle, but don't know if this system is available as an aftermarket part. The exhaust sound on this car is one of my favorite aspects of this car. I think it's one of the best oem systems I've heard.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Default Hmmm

thanks Octurbo for the suggestion. I hadn't even thought of going that route.

After a little research I read the XKR-S exhaust system did drop one of the two resonators on the standard system.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I always thought the crackling/popping/backfire was due to running rich due to unspent fuel. I get the burbling when deceleration on my SL and it's louder when I flutter the pedal. Louder during hot summer days. If I catch it right, I can make it backfire......sounds like a shotgun going off......it makes me smile and laugh everytime it does that. Love the burbling/backfire of the SL. Wish I can do that on the XKR. My buddy's viper is even louder....there's popping during deceleration and his backfire is even louder...not for everyone but I love it.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Default 8C

I think you're right Ghostrider, it is from running too rich... but it sounds so sweet!

You gotta hear the Alfa Romeo 8C.. Great gurgle sound right on the gear shifts: Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione LOVELY Sound!! - 1080p HD - YouTube

Old 03-06-2012, 03:08 PM

Nice vid Mike! The 8C sounds nice.

All it needs is some flames like this Gallardo from UR....

Lamborghini Shooting Flames (Twin Turbo Gallardo) - YouTube

Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

I gotta say I think the new XKR's sound pretty close to perfect. Being car nuts, we of course want MORE though...

I think that having the normal exhaust (stock) and switching out to a system with a louder exhaust when the car is in performance mode would be great fun.

Though I gotta say, for a Jag, I was surprised how loud and ruckus the sounds you can get from the exhaust when the settings are flipped and engine revved with enthusiasm. Shockingly retro burble, trombone blat when you floor it from low RPM as the torque kicks in, gloriously loud roar at over 4k, and yes, pops and snaps when grabbing a lower gear and decelerating. I'm in love every time.

Really, the dual nature exhaust was one of the biggest surprises and ongoing delights. Though I do find myself thinking that having the exhaust EVEN LOUDER and more unexpectedly raw when set in performance mode and high RPM would be that much more satisfying. Quiet as a kitten and loud as a lion (I believe the loudest of all land animals, btw) when called on.

I guess for now I'm so happy with the way it is stock (near perfection) that I'd be hard pressed to throw down several thou for a more melodious exhaust. Loosing the warranty on the factory system and parts, etc. just to get a more raw note when the baffles flip to 'angry mode' may not be in the cards for me.

Would love to do it, but not enough to act I guess... $ to be spent elsewhere: power/traction upgrades, stereo upgrades, appearance upgrades all probably bigger priorities.

Skeeter

Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 AM
Default Flipped

Hey Skeeter, thanks for sharing but you just flipped the thread topic on it's head when you say you'd look at stereo upgrades.

STEREO UPGRADES!?! This topic is about the 4 speakers mounted under the rear bumper baby...

Kidding aside, I do agree the stock even in my 4.2 XKR makes an awesome sound, so good in fact when I drive less than 30 minutes I don't even turn the radio on, I just want to hear the exhaust do it's thing.

I've already taken care of the power and traction upgrades and for appearance I've got the full 08 XKR-S kit and looking just like I want her.

I've already ordered the hi-flo cats which leads me to the exhaust.

Once that all said and done the cherry on top... ECU Tune

Old 03-08-2012, 12:53 PM

BTW Mike....if you'll look to see what the Milltek exhaust tips look like....here are the Millteks on my car. I don't think you can go wrong with Mina or any other exhausts either.
Name:  xkrwa.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  133.3 KB

Old 03-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Mike,

LOL... I hear you... My standard state is windows down (even if cold out), dyno mode, paddle shifting and just reveling in the exhaust snarls and snaps. Seriously cool, makes you drive faster, I suppose because the exhaust note gets so sweet above 4k rpm...

Sounds like you've done everything I want to do to my car... When I catch up to you, I'll look into exhaust. ECU is gradually creeping up to the top of my list. A bit nervous being the first of us to do it, but very VERY tempting given the gains and the whole XKR-S increase with only exhaust by way of mechanical changes...

What's the consensus on the best aftermarket exhaust for our cars? I guess the 2010+ are different, just an assumption. Do they make kits that retain stock silent volume under normal conditions and only get louder when the baffles open due to throttle input or setting to dyno mode? So just as quiet cruising @ 75, loud when romping on it or setting the car to dyno? Pricey? Prone to failure? I'd love to see what they cost and if they maintain the stealth silence that comes with the factory setup.

Thanks my man,

Skeeter

Old 03-09-2012, 06:21 AM
Default Decisions, Decisions

Ghostrider,
Thanks for the pic! Looks like the Milltek lines up perfectly to the rear edge of the bumper, I like that you can see a good amount of the tailpipe from the profile. I've noticed in another rear pic of your car that the bigger tailpipe diameter makes a big difference and fills in the diffuser perfectly.

Skeeter,
I would save the ECU tune for after any other mods so they can be factored into the tune making it more efficient. I'm curious how ETG factor in mods when they do a remote tune (your at home and they upload a tune to your ecu via internet through the OBD) with no live data to show the effects of mods that have been done?

For the 2010+ exhausts I've read the Quicksliver exhaust is the closest to the 2012 XKR-S. However I believe only Spires offers active valves on an aftermarket unit. Milltek is THE highest praised exhaust in Europe across all car makes but again everyone who has a Mina exhaust have reported they are very happy with them.

How's that for making it a hard decision %) Hence I'm basing my choice on overrun crackle

Last edited by Mike V; 03-09-2012 at 06:47 AM.