XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alcon Caliper rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 06:40 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Alcon Caliper rebuild

Just want to share some insight on a few things. My ‘08 XKR Portfolio was in need of new pads. 70k on car when I removed calipers to install new pads the pistons were pretty corroded. As you may know you don’t want to tear the seals shoving those pistons back with possibility of creating seal leakage.

I removed all 4 calipers for rebuild. BUT I DID A STUPID THING, I THINK, BY NOT BLEEDING AND FLUSHING THE SYSTEM 1st with new fluid BEFORE REMOVAL. Now rhat old fluid has to pass thru all the newly rebuilt calipers.

I am having ALCON USA rebuild them as the parts would need to come thru them anyway. Well it seems as though the UK factory is backed up with supplying pistons for these calipers and it will be going on 3 months and still no calipers.

Just thought I’d share the piece of putting new fluid thru old calipers first before removal. It just creeps me out why I hadn’t Thought of that prior.

The following 2 users liked this post by ‘Oleguy:
Panthro (12-12-2018), Stuart S (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Since the car is sitting there with no calipers, can you plug/cap the lines, and then flush them, one by one, adding new fluid to the reservoir as you go?

Old 11-29-2018, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Subscribed.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:48 AM

I think that I would need to have 4 blocks manufactured with bleeders just to accept the banjo bolts and washers. Good idea but I don’t think it is worth the $$ or effort.

Once I receive the new ones and run them 6 months I just rebleed the system again.

It it just makes good maint sense/practices to have bleed that old fluid out of lines PRIOR to removing them. Hind sight 20/20

Old 11-29-2018, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 3,089 Posts

To cap off banjos, all one needs is one small bolt/nut and a couple fiber washers (or two steel washers with rubber washers between). Tighten the bolt just a bit on the looser side and you have an Automatic Bleeder, as it allows old fluid out under pressure but prevents air from entering.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:43 AM
Received 695 Likes on 349 Posts

How much $ does Alcon want to rebuild them? Do you have pics of what they looked like when you removed them?

I'm waiting on Rotors to come in ... been backlogged at the supplier for weeks now.

Guess everyone does their brake jobs at the same time!! haha

Old 11-29-2018, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
To cap off banjos, all one needs is one small bolt/nut and a couple fiber washers (or two steel washers with rubber washers between). Tighten the bolt just a bit on the looser side and you have an Automatic Bleeder, as it allows old fluid out under pressure but prevents air from entering.
I’ll have to see if I can rig something up. Could be a bit messy but I’m waiting anyhow. Thx for the thought.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by gkubrak
How much $ does Alcon want to rebuild them? Do you have pics of what they looked like when you removed them?

I'm waiting on Rotors to come in ... been backlogged at the supplier for weeks now.

Guess everyone does their brake jobs at the same time!! haha
I was sent a text with pics but deleted it. The pistons were shot. Really shot. The car lived on the east coast shore for 5-6 years. I knew it would needed brakes eventually as they were about 40-50% last insp in Jan.
But I didn’t expect to have rebuild calipers.

They cost of rebuild is subject to how many pistons are needed. But you send them a set (2-fronts or 2-rears) and 95$ per set (that includes shipment back) They then let you know what you need to rebuild.
They pressure test them. I needed everything, seals pistons etc. 2200 for all 4 a lot cheaper than 4300 for one front. I’ve been delayed due to piston availability.
https://alconkits.com/

The following 2 users liked this post by ‘Oleguy:
gkubrak (11-30-2018), Panthro (12-12-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 03:21 AM
Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ‘Oleguy
I think that I would need to have 4 blocks manufactured with bleeders just to accept the banjo bolts and washers. Good idea but I don’t think it is worth the $$ or effort.
You just need to clamp the three flexible hoses your not bleeding, clamps are just a few bucks on ebay.

The hoses should be clamped off anyway as brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water) which will cause internal corrosion of the brake pipes.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by JonWat
You just need to clamp the three flexible hoses your not bleeding, clamps are just a few bucks on ebay.

The hoses should be clamped off anyway as brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water) which will cause internal corrosion of the brake pipes.

I need to change the entire system over to new fluid. The hygroscopic effect is what had one of the front calipers lazy on one side of the pads. Brake fluid should be changed out periodically on every vehicle let alone a high performance vehicle. The past owner was very lax about required periodic maint. Luckily this has been the last item on the maint list but has been the highest cost. With new Porterfield pads, rotors, complete fluid change out and caliper work @3K. But they’ll be right.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:18 AM
Default Update

So... here it is Christmas and I still don’t have the calibers back. The factory sent the wrong pistons so I’ve been told. After a few messages, phone calls, email they are putting my calibers on the priority list with a goal of a Jan 3rd 2019 return which will allow me 10 days to install prior to heading South for winter snows escape...hopefully.
Funny how you can’t get to speak directly to the CEO of Alcon USA directly to hear his response.

Merry Christmas!

Old 01-16-2019, 07:00 PM
Default Finally...

The calipers arrived yesterday the 15th and installed the freshly rebuilt calipers and pads with 4 new rotors.

i do have to give mention here Chris of AlconKits.com was communicating with me thru the piston issue process. His shop is an independent shop of Alcon USA out of NC it seems he wasn’t getting full support from office as I finally called the U.K. myself and spoke directly to the senior factory sales rep. I informed him of the situation and asked for time to investigate. I one hour I received an email from Alcon in U.K. with a delivery tracking number. I sent it to Chris. He had been waiting for this info from the upper Mngmnt. I had it with a phone call in one hour. Chris did a turnaround on my calipers the day they arrived and expressed them back to me. They looked good, not repainted as thought they may had, been part of rebuild but I had never asked.
A summer project.

Now to get rid of the parking brake fault. Any help would be appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (03-19-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 08:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking XKR ! I also have the 2008 XKR Portfolio in Celestial black with 40k miles. Redid my brakes and went with the bright red and I also changed out the 6 piston decal for the Jaguar Decal. Look really sharp behind my chrome wheels. Great car, Enjoy !

Old 03-12-2019, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Uprrtimeman
Great looking XKR ! I also have the 2008 XKR Portfolio in Celestial black with 40k miles. Redid my brakes and went with the bright red and I also changed out the 6 piston decal for the Jaguar Decal. Look really sharp behind my chrome wheels. Great car, Enjoy !
Thanks. Yea I really like driving this machine. I saw the Alcon caliper prints and in the material list the paint code was RLA3003 Ruby Red. My paint just arrived today out of Tx. I asked Alcon USA how come they didn’t repaint during a rebuild. They said it would increase the price an addition 750+ as they are actually powder coated.
Once it warms up here in Pa I’ll pull them again and repaint using spray.can. The /R lettering I’ll do again in the white first then mask it and cut edges with an xacto knife to shoot the red. I’ll post after completed.

Next will be how to stop the diff leaking down thru the splines...it’s not the housing seal. Nothing on the floor just a spraying on the underside.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (03-19-2019)