XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Alpine Amp and Woofer Question Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 12:27 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Alpine Amp and Woofer Question Please

hi. i'm wanting to replace the crappy woofer in the alpine sub/amp combo in the passenger foot well. does anyone know what ohms the amp puts out, so i can chose the right speaker (if i can find one that even will fit). wondering if a 4 or 8 ohm speaker is needed. i don't have a meter to check, so was hoping someone would know before i have to buy one or borrow one. tnx.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by multistrada74
hi. i'm wanting to replace the crappy woofer in the alpine sub/amp combo in the passenger foot well. does anyone know what ohms the amp puts out, so i can chose the right speaker (if i can find one that even will fit). wondering if a 4 or 8 ohm speaker is needed. i don't have a meter to check, so was hoping someone would know before i have to buy one or borrow one. tnx.
You cannot measure a speaker with an impedance meter. Nor does it matter. There will be a mismatch when you change. Its not just the impedance (ohms) but also the efficiency (sensitivity) and your new amps driving power.

But I can give you some direction that an aftermarket driver will not be as sensitive as the one you are taking out.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
You cannot measure a speaker with an impedance meter. Nor does it matter. There will be a mismatch when you change. Its not just the impedance (ohms) but also the efficiency (sensitivity) and your new amps driving power.

But I can give you some direction that an aftermarket driver will not be as sensitive as the one you are taking out.
thank you for the reply. does your reply then mean that i will have little to no benefit with replacing the terrible stock alpine driver with an quality aftermarket one? i replaced all of the other 6 stock alpine speakers in the car and the difference is night and day.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

I cannot say if the driver you have now is better or not. Keep in mind that OEMs have a different criteria, it must be light and efficient. After Markets dont care if it is light, nor the amount of power you have to feed it. So yes they can easily be better, but at a cost.

What size driver do you have that you are replacing? I can recommend a good one.
Also where are you located and what car?

Old 05-17-2016, 01:32 PM

hi. im not concerned about the weight. the hard part is finding one that fits. the stock speaker from end to end is 6-3/4" with zero extra room involved (as it's in a recessed opening), with a just over 4" overall depth. definitely seems worth replacing with something quality

if it can fit. pics attached....

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Ok this can be improved upon, although its not entirely bogus.

BTW thats a 4ohm driver, it says so on the driver.

Measure the outside diameter with precision and I will help you out. Also verify that its an actual subwoofer. I dont think it is. It matters because we need to pick a driver that will cover the frequencies you are removing.

We make drivers.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:15 PM

Measure the outside diameter with precision and I will help you out. Also verify that its an actual subwoofer. I dont think it is. It matters because we need to pick a driver that will cover the frequencies you are removing.

We make drivers.
aaaahhhh, got it. thanks mate. i think it's more of just a mid-range speaker, and not a woofer. will do soon....

Old 05-17-2016, 03:33 PM

We make drivers.
do you know how many watts this amp pushes to this driver?

Old 05-17-2016, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

No but I suggest you keep it for convenience. Its not the weak link in the system.
The weakest link is the source- I will show you later how to improve that dramatically. I am working on a system for my fellow jag enthusiasts.

The driver I will suggest will be as efficient as the one you are taking out so you wont have a problem pushing it.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=Queen and Country;1463600]No but I suggest you keep it for convenience. Its not the weak link in the system.
The weakest link is the source- I will show you later how to improve that dramatically. I am working on a system for my fellow jag enthusiasts.

The driver I will suggest will be as efficient as the one you are taking out so you wont have a problem push

i definitely will be keeping it, i just wondered out of interest. as long as the driver is efficient, as you stated, it should be more than enough.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Does your car have a subwoofer?
Have you changed it yet?

Old 05-18-2016, 09:04 AM

Does your car have a subwoofer?
Have you changed it yet?
not a stand alone sub, just the factory mid-range and amp combo in the pics above. all i'm trying to accomplish here, is to replace that OE/alpine speaker with a much better aftermarket one. nothing else.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by multistrada74
not a stand alone sub, just the factory mid-range and amp combo in the pics above. all i'm trying to accomplish here, is to replace that OE/alpine speaker with a much better aftermarket one. nothing else.
I get that- but they are all connected- in a way.
If you have a sub (mine does between the driver and passenger rear) than the requirements for the mids are much less- they dont need to produce low frequencies the sub does.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:15 AM

got it. you are correct.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

That is a subwoofer, part of the Alpine premium audio Dolby ProLogic II option.

"Specifically designed and tuned for the new Jaguar XK, the heart of the system is a new digital amplifier that uses Dolby Pro Logic II technology to bring surround sound to stereo sources like a CD or FM radio. Complimenting the new amplifier is Alpine’s revolutionary DLP (dynamic linear phase) subwoofer. A radical departure from conventional designs, the DLP subwoofer is positioned in the passenger footwell, providing a better radiation of sound, more realistic front staging and accurately concentrated bass."

* 525 Watt Digital 5.1 amplifier, featuring Dolby Pro Logic II technology
* Four DDLinear mid-bass speakers
* Two soft dome tweeters
* One mid-bass speaker mounted in the dashboard
* One DLP subwoofer and enclosure mounted in the passenger footwell

Last edited by jahummer; 05-18-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Thx jahummer,
That explains everything.
My only question would be do we know if it also plays midrange? many subs can.
If someone knows it would be helpful, I can show a simple test to determine if not.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

What matters is what the crossover is set to from the DSP. A frequency test disc should work if these specs can't be found.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
What matters is what the crossover is set to from the DSP. A frequency test disc should work if these specs can't be found.
I doubt there is a crossover on it. There doesnt need to be, the driver itself is limited to what it can play. And being in the footwell will remove the high frequencies anyway.

What needs to be known is how high that driver is normally capable of playing. Most aftermarket subs do a terrible job of the high frequencies. Did I mention we make them.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

I doubt there is a crossover on it. There doesnt need to be, the driver itself is limited to what it can play. And being in the footwell will remove the high frequencies anyway.

What needs to be known is how high that driver is normally capable of playing. Most aftermarket subs do a terrible job of the high frequencies. Did I mention we make them.

Why do you think the MOST DSP lacks a crossover? Everything that I know about the design indicates the frequencies are properly filtered (I am searching for the documentation). You would not want low and mid frequencies going to the tweeters and the same the other way round. Alpine actually goes through a decent amount of engineering to produce digital amps, DSPs & drivers to provide the best end results. Their DDlinear drivers are incredibly efficient with very low distortion & extreme light weight.

And who is "we"? Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 05-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

Hi,
We are to alpine what Ferrari F1 is to GM.

I misread your post. You were speaking about the DSP. I was talking about a analog crossover. The driver itself acts like a crossover, particularly in the footwell. High frequencies are extremely directional.

Quick Reply: Alpine Amp and Woofer Question Please