XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Any concerns with 2009 XK convertable versus newer? General things to watch for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any concerns with 2009 XK convertable versus newer? General things to watch for?

Hello. I'm a new member. My wife is thinking about a XK and I'm doing some research. I've been a long standing member on elisetalk (now lotus talk), and it look's like you have a great community here as well.

My question are:
1) Is there anything we should be aware for with 2009 convertable versus other years? Any big fixes? Any major upgrades or significant improvements? changes to the warranty?
2) Any general things to watch out for with these cars? Thinks you should check to see if they are worn out or signs of abuse? Common failures or things people try to cover up?

thanks in advance!
PDQ

Old 02-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

I own a 2009 Jaguar XKR with is the Supercharged version of the XK.

It is a convertible and I have had no reported problems of any kind.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

If you can afford the differential, go with a 2010 or later. Why? 5.0 liter engine as opposed to a 4.2 liter and hp increase that goes with it. Tighter construction, more choices as to driving style - 2010's and later have winter, and dynamic options which were not available on 2008 xks.

In addition, If you follow some of the threads in this forum you will find that there were several problems with the earlier xks that seem to have been ameliorated with the vehicles built after the 2009 model year.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Aircon drain getting blocked and leaking into the passenger footwell is the main thing that crops up again & again. I'm not sure what percentage of cars actually suffer from it, but it gets discussed regularly.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
If you can afford the differential, go with a 2010 or later. Why? 5.0 liter engine as opposed to a 4.2 liter and hp increase that goes with it. Tighter construction, more choices as to driving style - 2010's and later have winter, and dynamic options which were not available on 2008 xks.

In addition, If you follow some of the threads in this forum you will find that there were several problems with the earlier xks that seem to have been ameliorated with the vehicles built after the 2009 model year.
There are two things that people rarely talk about when comparing the 5.0 to the 4.2:

1. Electronic limited slip differential
2. Sport mode on the transmission that will only shift when you use the paddles (the 4.2 will still kick down when you floor it and upshift when you hit redline--very annoying)

These are probably the two most important upgrades when it comes to driver enjoyment.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
1. Electronic limited slip differential
The e-diff is only fitted on the 5.0 XKR, not the 5.0 XK

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
The e-diff is only fitted on the 5.0 XKR, not the 5.0 XK
I did not know that. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2014, 10:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

I have a 2008 black xk conv I bought in 2011 with 23k miles now up to 41k and have had no problems worth mentioning. Love the car. I wish I had a 2010 for the extra HP but you could probably save a few bucks with a 2009 if that's an issue.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:21 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg

Ralph has owned many Jaguars and offers good advise. If you can afford the 2010-on you will not regret it. Everything is updated and upgraded in the 2010-on models. Shop nation wide and be patient and you will be rewarded.

ralphwg (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Obviously, if a 2010 or newer is in your grasp, do consider it... However, do not be put off by a older XK, as you will find them fantastic cars, with impeccable reliability and build quality.
The first generation (07-09) ran a "tried and true" power train. The 4.2L has been around and proven for over a decade and a half, (something the 5.0L cannot yet claim) so faults there are far and few except for a general wish for slightly more power.
The AC drain tube is a known problem, as it plugs and leaks water onto the passenger footwell. A Service bulletin was released to address the problem, so check that that service has been done as it is costly to remove the dash to properly address the fix.

Onboard entertainment is sub-par on both first and second generations (something Jag should never have released in the first place, and failed to update even on the 2010 and newer... (Cheap KIAs have better maps and bluetooth) BTW you cannot update the audio in either generation as much of the cars systems are integrated to it...

Back seat in either gen is for groceries only...

Be aware that no real aftermarket parts or upgrades exist for the car, so what you buy is what you will own....

All in all, despite the weak infotainment, XK is a great car to drive and own. Amazingly reliable, stunning to look at and a buying decision few regret.

BOL,
Vince

The following 2 users liked this post by CleverName:
beasleee (05-31-2023), bobdr1 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Obviously, if a 2010 or newer is in your grasp, do consider it... However, do not be put off by a older XK, as you will find them fantastic cars, with impeccable reliability and build quality.
The first generation (07-09) ran a "tried and true" power train. The 4.2L has been around and proven for over a decade and a half, (something the 5.0L cannot yet claim) so faults there are far and few except for a general wish for slightly more power.
My indy shop has an '04 XJR with 170K miles and the original engine and transmission in it. Car is well taken care of with routine service. Just goes to show how robust the 4.2L is....

Then again, they an XF with 60K they are doing an engine swap on, but I think something happened to the engine from a prior service (not my shop) and they are swapping for a used engine... Around 6K for the whole job with engine.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I would not go below a 2010. 2010 had changes from the 2009. The 2010,2011,2012s all pretty much same. There are good buys out there for 2010 and up just keep looking and be very careful of the vehicles history tract it down you will not be sorry you did. South Florida and Naples, Ft. Meyers areas are good locations for pre owned they sit in a garage and used on sunny days or just in the winter and are dealer kept as to service etc.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
The AC drain tube is a known problem, as it plugs and leaks water onto the passenger footwell. A Service bulletin was released to address the problem, so check that that service has been done as it is costly to remove the dash to properly address the fix.
Yes - for the public record, I had this problem in my 2007 XK about a year ago (like 3 months after the extended warranty expired) and the cost to repair was $821.57 - $11.57 for a new drain tuibe and $810 in labor (5.5 hours).

Old 02-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by beh2010
I would not go below a 2010. 2010 had changes from the 2009.
Sorry but I do tire of these type comments, as they add no context to the OP's original question about a 2009 XK.
You seem to imply that those of us in first generation cars made a bad buying decision, and I can assure you we did not.... My '07 XK is a flawless and amazing car. I reached as far as my finances would allow (which fell far short of a second gen), yet remain proud to own such a wonderful car.

Liking a second gen XK is no reason to bash the first.
Both are great cars.

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 02-23-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Corrected mistype
The following 2 users liked this post by CleverName:
bobdr1 (02-24-2014), carlprs (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 02:13 PM

CleverName, I am NOT bashing just giving an opinion. The question was concerning 2009's or other years. While the first gen's are good if buying now why not go up in years for a newer model if that is what one wants to do. If your looking for something older fine there are very good xk's out there. It all has to do with what the buyer wants that's all.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by beh2010
CleverName, I am NOT bashing just giving an opinion. The question was concerning 2009's or other years. While the first gen's are good if buying now why not go up in years for a newer model if that is what one wants to do. If your looking for something older fine there are very good xk's out there. It all has to do with what the buyer wants that's all.
When a new member like the OP asks the sort of question he did, one can assume he has seen a particular car that interests him, and he's starting to do some initial research. It is entirely possible that he has no idea of changes over newer years other than LED lights and such because the car basically appears identical otherwise to the uninitiated. Most would assume that there was not significant changes because they are normally introduced with full redesigns. This is not the case with the XK, and as Clevername points out the 2010 MY and newer is essentially a different generation.

While all generations are gorgeous cars, there are many considerations, and some will be more important to some buyers than others. I personally think if a buyer's budget allows for the newer generation that it offers the best value and performance. Depreciation has slashed even 2010 prices, and you can still find some with factory warranty, which would be extremely important to many. Let the warranty fix things that the previous owner may have just put up with.

On-going maintenance should be about the same across all model years, but demand and resale value of the 2010 and newer I predict will be much higher because overall it's a better car in every way...and that's just the way it is with probably most cars. Once you're out of warranty and footing the bills yourself it just makes sense to invest where you're likely to get the best return. Jaguar's image is being recrafted towards performance, and the newer XK, and R versions particularly, reflect the new brand's image and values.

Now none of that should be interpreted as anything other than things that a prospective buyer might like to be aware of, and may want to consider. There are many threads and posts that outline the extensive upgrades done for the 2010 MY if the original poster is interested.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce H.:
Ngarara (02-23-2014), ralphwg (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

I have not had any reported problems with A/C drain issues on my 2009 XKR. In fact up until today there has been no issues what-so-ever. The car runs flawlessly.

We sure don't want to place any unnecessary emotional of mental burdens on someone who might be considering a 2009 or under.

It is easy to take many of these posts as problems that are appearent on all models 2009 and under, when that is not the case.

I am thrilled with my 2009 and see no problems with the horse power that my 4.2L Supercharged engine provides. Keep in mind that we have speed limits within the USA which most are well under 60 miles per hour when NOT driving on interstate or highways. With the bulk of daily driving somewhat local the 5.0L sounds great to have, but in most cases is really not necessary.

If you have the need for speed, buy a car that you can put on a track for fun, and beat the living hell out of it. These beautiful XK/XKR's are best on a nice cruise somewhere.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks!

All the feedback has been awesome and I really appreciate both sides of the 2009 coin you have shared. It is _exactly_ what I was looking for. Obviously cost is an issue for or she'd be looking at a 2012 or new :-)

That said it sounds like there were significant non cosmetic changes between 09-10. As much as it kills me to say this, my wife has zero concern for HP or cornering - she'd probably take a 4 cyl, if it were available :-).
It sounds like we'll keep looking for both 09's and 10's until and keep in mind the delta between two when looking price.

On last question, is there a way to visually look for the change to the AC drain, or do you just have to rely on service records.

Thanks again!!!

PDQ

Old 02-24-2014, 08:08 AM

I do not think there is a quick way to check that. I would suggest once you find a vehicle, take down the vin number and contact Jaguar direct or if its at a Jaguar dealer have them print it out. I believe there were tech reports put out on this very issue. Jaguar USA is very helpful.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PDeMaio
As much as it kills me to say this, my wife has zero concern for HP or cornering - she'd probably take a 4 cyl, if it were available :-).
Fair enough - not everyone wants one for how it goes; how it looks and feels is pretty important too.

For someone who is not a 'spirited' driver, a benefit of the 5.0 model is that it has Winter mode, which makes the car more drivable in slippery winter conditions, something that I expect you see from time to time in Seattle. If your wife will never drive the car in snow or ice, then that's not a significant factor.

bobdr1 (02-24-2014)

Quick Reply: Any concerns with 2009 XK convertable versus newer? General things to watch for?