XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any suggestions for finding a Portfolio Ed. for parts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:43 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Any suggestions for finding a Portfolio Ed. for parts?

Here's what I'm thinking:

My '09 Portfolio Edition is in need of a driver's side front fender. There is a small dent/vertical paint gouge right above the wheel. Not my doing, I would never be that irresponsible. It was a "Dealer Option" that saved me a large chunk of money. I always figured I'd deal with it in time. I'm toying with the idea of whether or not it would be cheaper to replace the fender than to repair and repaint it. Also, since paint tends to fade, or at least change over time, a repaint typically requires surrounding metal to be sanded and new paint applied to create a "fade in" effect. I'm thinking that if I could find a replacement fender, the paint would be a perfect match, and I would not have to damage the surrounding portions of the car. Feel free to set me straight if this idea is not feasible...

I also might consider a new set of Aluminum power vents, although I could just have the current ones soda blasted and possibly recoated someday.

Now, I typically pride myself on my Google skills. I can usually find anything on these Interwebs through my clever use of keywords. However, finding an '09 Portfolio with an undamaged left front fender for sale is like tracking down a unicorn.

If any of you run across a listing--USA preferred--for such a situation, you would make me the happiest man in the world. Thanks in advance?

Old 10-29-2014, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I'm thinking it will be a hard thing to find but maybe you'll luck out. I would find the best body shop who deals with aluminum body work and have it repaired. If they have the latest paint match technology there should not be a difference in color. A lot of body shops either use photo or laser paint match systems so they match your present faded color. Get a quote and then try to cost out what a replacement fender would cost. My thoughts here.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by GritsNCornbread
Here's what I'm thinking:

My '09 Portfolio Edition is in need of a driver's side front fender. There is a small dent/vertical paint gouge right above the wheel. Not my doing, I would never be that irresponsible. It was a "Dealer Option" that saved me a large chunk of money. I always figured I'd deal with it in time. I'm toying with the idea of whether or not it would be cheaper to replace the fender than to repair and repaint it. Also, since paint tends to fade, or at least change over time, a repaint typically requires surrounding metal to be sanded and new paint applied to create a "fade in" effect. I'm thinking that if I could find a replacement fender, the paint would be a perfect match, and I would not have to damage the surrounding portions of the car. Feel free to set me straight if this idea is not feasible...

I also might consider a new set of Aluminum power vents, although I could just have the current ones soda blasted and possibly recoated someday.

Now, I typically pride myself on my Google skills. I can usually find anything on these Interwebs through my clever use of keywords. However, finding an '09 Portfolio with an undamaged left front fender for sale is like tracking down a unicorn.

If any of you run across a listing--USA preferred--for such a situation, you would make me the happiest man in the world. Thanks in advance?
Keep in mind that only 180 XKR Coupes were imported into the USA, so the fender will be hard to find in an undamaged state.

I am sure that the fender is the same as any other 2009 XK or XKR. Might be a different color but likely able to find.

I concur with Jagtoes.......find a good body shop. More and more cars are being made of aluminum and there are some major collison repair companies, like Caliber Collision. Since your close to the twin cities, I would think there has to be someone that knows how to repair aluminum well.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts
Old 10-30-2014, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Try this advertiser on this forum - http://www. britishrecyclers.com 916-858-0000. They sell used OEM Jaguar parts.

If finding a nice used Shadow Gray fender from an '09 XKR Portfolio is like looking for a needle in a haystack, then you'll be looking for a much smaller needle in a much bigger haystack for the milled aluminum power vent. That vent is unique to the Portfolio model and is much more expensive than the non-Portfolio vent.

I concur with others who recommended a new OEM fender and quality body/paint shop. Otherwise it could take years to find the used parts and years of lost enjoyment not driving your XKR in restored condition.

Have you considered making a claim against your insurance policy under the collision or comprehensive coverages?

Old 10-30-2014, 07:24 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh yeah, the power vents are impossible. I've only found a few examples so far, and none are any better than the ones I currently have. The dealerships don't even carry them, they have to be special ordered, and you have to take out a second mortgage to buy them.
jaguarpartscheap.com also sells them for 1339 each, but no idea if it is an in-stock item or not. Either way, I'll be revisiting the soda blasting idea.