XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anybody Use These Caliper Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Anybody Use These Caliper Covers?

Pretty cool idea and very easy to install. I have a a email in to see if there is a charge for the word "Jaguar" on them or just blank so we could add our own words with stick on letters.
Check it out-no affiliation with them of course.
MGP Caliper Covers

Old 10-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

New to me, but looks cool. And if it really helps reducing brake dust, I'd welcome that too. Would be interested to hear about experiences as well.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

They must trap the brake dust inside, I dread to think the damage it would to to the original callipers.
It only takes me 10 mins to clean each calliper with a good brush. My car's an 07 and they still look like new!

Old 10-29-2012, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

For all the posts we have seen related to brake dust polluted wheels I don't recall anyone ever extolling caliper covers as a solution.

The caliper cover people say they have the solution but I've not seen any reports from actual users of the products. Any experience out there?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had some on a BMW Z4 from the same company. I paid extra to get no name and no fake rivets. Easy to install cleans up the look of the calipers if you have basic ones. As far as brake dust it does help but it is hard to tell because I switched brake pads to ceramic ones at around the asme time. It turned out to be about $50 per wheel.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default problems with MGP Caliper Covers and 2007 XK

Hi to all, I purchased the MGP Caliper covers about 3 weeks ago from CarId.com.
They made a mistake with the order number but corrected it and they were supposed to ship out in 3 days. Well I received an email saying he items were backordered and I ended up waiting an additional week.
They arrived and I scheduled my Jag shop to install them the following day.
Well, the shop refused to install them saying they don't fit properly.
I calld the tech support number and spoke to a few people then I was transferred to the owner. It seems if you have recently had new brake pads installed the design of the covers has to be altered. The owner promised he would overnight the kit to complete the modification. After three days I called and was told the parts didn't go out on time but I would receive them in a few days.
I had to use my dremmel to modify the brackets on the covers. I also had to use fender washers to complete the modification.
I do NOT reccommend the covers to any Jag owner who does to have some mechanical or design experience as it took me a while to figure out how to make them fit right.
I also purchased the red wheel caps to match the red caliper covers. I have yet to take the car for a spin as its been raining for several days. The owners name at MGP is Mike. Sometimes he so available but most of the time he is not.
Hope this info helps.

The following users liked this post:
Joseph Davis (01-22-2022)
Old 12-16-2012, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the the update and sorry for the troubles. After all the hassle tho...does it look good on your car?
How about a couple shots?
Thanks

Just kidding, but love to see them on your car. Bet it looks great.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Red Caliper Covers on a black 2007 Jag Convertable

Hi there,
The covers look really great. I have the Sena wheels and the red covers give it a cool look. I also purchase the red Jaguar wheel caps so it even looks better.
I will post some photos soon. The caris in the garage and it's been raining for two days straight now. If you would like to know what mods I had to do. Let me know and I will document them with pictures.
Fred

Old 12-17-2012, 10:52 AM

Yes that would be great! I still plan on getting them.
Thanks

Old 12-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

these caliper covers are nothing more than pieces of plastic boy racers buy to make it look like they have a big brake set. they dont add any additional stopping power or reduce the dust

Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
these caliper covers are nothing more than pieces of plastic boy racers buy to make it look like they have a big brake set. they dont add any additional stopping power or reduce the dust
Neither does just painting them red....it's just a alternative to the ughly stock brakes. They do reduce heat a bit according to the website. They act as heat sinks.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I was told that the covers might actually increase heat (but reduce brake dust) and that they could possibly void brake caliper warranties if there is a problem.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Toppntch
It seems if you have recently had new brake pads installed the design of the covers has to be altered. The owner promised he would overnight the kit to complete the modification. After three days I called and was told the parts didn't go out on time but I would receive them in a few days.

I had to use my dremmel to modify the brackets on the covers. I also had to use fender washers to complete the modification.
Sounds like a really bad idea.

Everyone gets new brake pads at some point. What did they think people were going to do? Scrounge up used pads for a brake job?

Old 12-20-2012, 04:54 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm still not convinced by these, reminds me of new car manufactures putting a plastic cover over a lovely V8 engine. I'd rather see the metal underneath.

Brake callipers are a beautiful feat of engineering. It's why many paint them red, yellow or what colour to chose to show them off. They are built, designed and tested to last the life of the car, they don't need covers to protect them or wheels from brake dust.
Use the correct brake pads that won't kick off too much dust.

Importantly, buy a brush and bucket and clean them....as many others do each week. My car is nearly 6 years old, callipers and wheels still look new..as when I bought the car.

Last edited by johnnnnnnyy; 12-20-2012 at 06:48 AM.