Anyone Added DSP or EQ to B&W System? - Page 2 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Notices
XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Anyone Added DSP or EQ to B&W System?

Old 10-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Thanked 1,169 Times in 891 Posts

I guess it's all in everyone's listening . While driving with the top down my system (FM) is low background noise. With the top up it is very good and in fact due to my years of playing in several garage bands I need to turn down the bass. I find the system clear and as good as other systems I've heard in other top of the line cars. This discussion is similar to those of the exhaust note. As to my PAE the noise level while driving is enjoyable and if you want more just hit the dynamic button and it makes for a great sounding system.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
There is another thread on here (sorry, no time to search right now) where Queen and Country experimented by putting a thin mylar (I believe) cover over the tweeter. It was hardly noticeable and reduced the tinniness (as reported by Q&C, I have not tried it)
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...gation-192487/

Post #161 is what I was referring to. Cheap to just try....

Good info in there from Cambo and Q&C. Happy reading.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:15 AM

+1.... I put a black wrap over the door tweeters as suggested in that thread and the sound improvement was significant! Additionally, black wrap makes them barely noticable as well.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:32 PM
Default New here, looking to make audio tweaks as well.

The 8.1 B&W system is great for what it is but I find the highs a bit much myself. I currently have a new Factory Sealed with Warranty subwoofer from Critical Mass, the UL12 5000Watt made for ultralight performance applications, I paid far below the $15k Retail, like 14k lower. Debating removing the useless backseats to accommodate a custom enclosure possibly with additional stereo deck back fed over Factory & encase the amp there as well. Any thoughts at all or input from those who have done this type of thing would be appreciated.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth187 View Post
The 8.1 B&W system is great for what it is but I find the highs a bit much myself. I currently have a new Factory Sealed with Warranty subwoofer from Critical Mass, the UL12 5000Watt made for ultralight performance applications, I paid far below the $15k Retail, like 14k lower. Debating removing the useless backseats to accommodate a custom enclosure possibly with additional stereo deck back fed over Factory & encase the amp there as well. Any thoughts at all or input from those who have done this type of thing would be appreciated.
You'll not be so...erm stealth...as they'll hear you coming from miles away!

Old 10-24-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth187 View Post
Do it!!!! and post pics once your done...

Old 10-24-2018, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Do you remember the white vans that sold 15k speakers for $500.... all day long....
Step in the wrong direction and off the cliff.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pwpacp View Post
+1.... I put a black wrap over the door tweeters as suggested in that thread and the sound improvement was significant! Additionally, black wrap makes them barely noticable as well.
An update.
Here is what went wrong and where the fault lies.
Had lunch with a friend who designs at Harman.
It was not Bowers nor Harman at fault. The designed by committee wildebeest was doomed from the onset.
Then, JLR opted not to go with 2 additional channels on the amp. (dont know why)
The 2 channels that would have been required if one wanted to add tweeters on the A pillars the right way, in phase alignment.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country View Post
Do you remember the white vans that sold 15k speakers for $500.... all day long....
Step in the wrong direction and off the cliff.
It was purchased from an authorized dealer with over 300k transactions in the green over 10yrs. I've got it posted for sale a few places but if it doesn't sell I'll build it into 1 of my vehicles, likely the Jag. PayPal moneyback guaranteed.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:21 AM

Interesting thread. I have some comments and questions.

I have a MY2008 XKR Convertible Portfolio Edition. It has the B&W Kit and an old ipod 30-pin connection kit.

I have found the speaker system to be the best I have ever heard in a car -- but susceptible to poor input sources - which includes the XM Radio, CD system and depending on the source material, even the ipod.

I also hate the onboard nav system. So, I built a LDAC Bluetooth receiver system using the simple circuit from here:
podemu - but instead of using their audio bluetooth circuit (XS3868), bought a ES100-24bit LDAC Bluetooth Receiver (see
EarStudio ES100 EarStudio ES100
) and use the audio ouput of that to feed the IPOD interface. The LDAC makes a HUGE difference over standard bluetooth and APTX and sounds way better than all other in car options IMO.

So, now, when I step in the car, I drop my Galaxy Note 9 into a wireless charging, vent holder with electric jaws (see
Vent Holder Vent Holder
). It automatically detects the HC-05 in the podEmu circuit above and launches Android Auto (with Waze, Amazon Music, Google Music, Deezer and more).

I have to say - the sound is phenomenal - and the ES100 also has an android DSP app to preprocess the audio before it gets to the car...and the in car controls work with the rig.

So - now my questions:
  1. Do I love the sound because my ears are old with probable high end in-ear, roll-off? or
  2. Do I love the sound because I am feeding it with a high quality input, with EQ applied b4 the car audio?
  3. The Big Question: Is the 2008 Portfolio edition audio system different from other models? I ask this, because I am looking to buy a 2015 XKR Convertible and would hate to go backwards on audio quality.
Cheers.

s.

Last edited by skavan; 10-26-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by skavan View Post

So - now my questions:
  1. Do I love the sound because my ears are old with probable high end in-ear, roll-off? or
  2. Do I love the sound because I am feeding it with a high quality input, with EQ applied b4 the car audio?
  3. The Big Question: Is the 2008 Portfolio edition audio system different from other models? I ask this, because I am looking to buy a 2015 XKR Convertible and would hate to go backwards on audio quality.
You like the sound because you have somewhat addressed the problem.
The DAC section on all these head units is antiquated and the resulting harshness is amplified with the revealing and misaligned tweeter.

Naturally you cannot fix the tweeter phase with a DSP, but you can reduce the high frequency effectiveness with the many things you described including going over bluetooth as it too truncates.
You can go up several notches by ditching the BT and going direct via cable, you are probably aware that a 192k or 356k DAC means nothing as BT steps it all back down to 44.
Try the LG V30, which has an MQA DAC, hardwired. Its the best sounding phone.

I would take the 2015XKR even if it could never have a stereo.