XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone try to change these yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Jeez, Mike, why so grouchy? It's important to know that certain mods can cause warranty/compliance issues in geographies other than the one the OP lives in. Jag owners from all over the world read this forum; things that may be fine in the US could cause grief for people elsewhere.

Big Red: they look good. I share your reservation about going for white LED turn signals; as you say, it's not what people are used to looking for. Over here, we used to get US imports with the flashing red tail lamps as turn signals, and that confused people (to the point of causing accidents). You should be able to get amber LEDs which will still look white when not lit, thus getting rid of the 'fried egg' look.
Thanks for the Response Ngarara. I can purchase the Amber LED turn signals but for some reason I'm just wanting the White ones still. Not sure yet but hopefully soon I can figure out what to pick. Anyone have White LED turn signals?

Old 07-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Here ya go, white light led turn signals:
2 Pcs T15 Cree Q5 W5W Car Auto White SMD LED Side Turn Signal Light Lamp Bulbs - Led Household Light Bulbs - Amazon.com 2 Pcs T15 Cree Q5 W5W Car Auto White SMD LED Side Turn Signal Light Lamp Bulbs - Led Household Light Bulbs - Amazon.com

but this thread still makes me grouchy (still love ya Ngarara)... spreading and supporting misinformation does that to me. I do like riding my high horse though, I see things more clearly up here. (I do have those same bulbs 8bit, and that was a useful post) but again stating and supporting things as fact that are not, pushes my buttons. Especially when its delivered as a point blank statement of fact.

White turn signals: probably a illegal

In hopes to set the argument straight and most importantly support those who would like to change out their W5W bulbs: Aftermarket HID headlights with upwards of 2000 lumens are what is illegal in most countries (not LED parking lights with at the most 200 lumens), but keep believing whatever you want, if you don't care about fact or the difference between the different types of bulbs, who am I to point it out to you. Enjoy your spoon feeding.

Always remember one important thing, when its time to top off your oil, it goes in the 710 cap under your hood.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:40 PM

Oops, I think you need this size, 3157, for the head unit turn signals
Amazon.com: Cutequeen trading 2PCS 3157 3528 68SMD 68-SMD White LED Bulbs Turn Signal Corner Lamp Side Marker Reverse Back Up Light: Automotive Amazon.com: Cutequeen trading 2PCS 3157 3528 68SMD 68-SMD White LED Bulbs Turn Signal Corner Lamp Side Marker Reverse Back Up Light: Automotive

The others I listed would work in the side turn markers.

I agree with 8bit and Ngarara though, the silver coated ones look great and function as you would expect.

Last edited by Mike V; 07-17-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

off topic mike v see you say you have milltek cats listed as on your car. One of my cats is gone , original item, so was going to replace and put 2 new ones on. The previous owner had a performance rear box fitted and left one center muffler. I live in Ireland so wud have to buy outside my country. Exhaust has a good noise at present but has dulled a bit since cat failure, think it has effected it. Are your cats expensive and whats the difference in them and stock, trying to get the best price possible.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

Mike, mcdutch was absolutely correct saying that aftermarket LED bulbs are illegal in some European countries - that is a fact, plain and simple. You made a point in one of your posts that threads about mods should be informative - to some of us, being told that a mod may bring you foul of the law in your home country is worth knowing. As Ngarara says it may well be perfectly fine where you live but it isn't necessarily everywhere - some of us live in countries where there are tighter regulations on car modifications. Nobody said don't do it or suggested the OP was wrong to, just a legal point that may be of use to some.

The following 2 users liked this post by 8bit:
mcdutch (07-18-2014), Mike V (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mike V
Oops, I think you need this size, 3157, for the head unit turn signals Amazon.com: Cutequeen trading 2PCS 3157 3528 68SMD 68-SMD White LED Bulbs Turn Signal Corner Lamp Side Marker Reverse Back Up Light: Automotive

The others I listed would work in the side turn markers.

I agree with 8bit and Ngarara though, the silver coated ones look great and function as you would expect.

Yes size 3157 seems right, I just looked my self. But the only problem is that the connector is a plastic kind that looks different from the original bulb which is a metal or aluminum cylinder connector.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by powerhouse
off topic mike v see you say you have milltek cats listed as on your car. One of my cats is gone , original item, so was going to replace and put 2 new ones on. The previous owner had a performance rear box fitted and left one center muffler. I live in Ireland so wud have to buy outside my country. Exhaust has a good noise at present but has dulled a bit since cat failure, think it has effected it. Are your cats expensive and whats the difference in them and stock, trying to get the best price possible.
Unfortunately the Milltek were expensive. That being said the sound is amazing, my buddy who has a mustang with Borla exhaust is jealous. I'd also say it moved the power band up a bit i.e. more top end power and a little less low end torque which isn't really a bad thing considering how hard these cars are to launch w/ out spinning.

Here's a before and after:

Old 07-26-2014, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by bigreda357
Yes size 3157 seems right, I just looked my self. But the only problem is that the connector is a plastic kind that looks different from the original bulb which is a metal or aluminum cylinder connector.
My front turn signals are the plastic push in type, the rear turn signals were the metal cylinder twist in kind. Plus the Jaguar owners manual had them wrong... have you pulled them out to check? (I know its a pain, I think I've removed my headlight units 20 times at least when I was perfecting the bulbs I wanted.)

Old 07-27-2014, 01:13 AM

My front turn signals are the plastic push in type, the rear turn signals were the metal cylinder twist in kind. Plus the Jaguar owners manual had them wrong... have you pulled them out to check? (I know its a pain, I think I've removed my headlight units 20 times at least when I was perfecting the bulbs I wanted.)
I'm pretty sure I pulled out the rear one and saw that it was the metal cylinder type. I don't remember if I checked the front one to. I just checked the owners manual and it actually shows a plastic style for the front turn signals, so now I'm wondering if the rear turn signals would be different bulbs?
Now that I'm thinking of it I might not get the white LED Turn Signals but go for some Amber LED Turn signals.
But when I changed the Side turn signal lights In front of the doors with 5smd White LED's they looked so beautiful! But I changed them back to the Original bulbs since I did not have any White Turn Signals for the front and rear of the car. Decisions decisions :/.

Btw your Exhaust sounds so Amazing!!! Is it a full exhaust system just the back half? And do you have the link to that exhaust you have? Once I herd it, I seriously fell in love!

Old 07-27-2014, 01:46 AM

Btw your Exhaust sounds so Amazing!!! Is it a full exhaust system just the back half? And do you have the link to that exhaust you have? Once I herd it, I seriously fell in love!
Thanks, its only the Cats, cats back is all stock (with fuse 19 removed). They are the Milltek hi flo cats. I got them from Eurotoys LTD. The downside is they cost about the same as a cats back exhaust system and I would like bigger diameter tailpipes to fill the diffuser more.

PS I did go OCD when I tried to sort out my bulbs as well %-)

Old 07-28-2014, 07:52 AM
Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you for the Compliments. I used a #194 LED with 5 SMD.
Amazon.com: Jtech 10x 194 168 2825 T10 5-SMD White LED Car Lights Bulb: Automotive

But just yesterday I changed the Outer side lights with some 20 SMD LED lights for a even better and brighter look!
Amazon.com: Jtech 10x T10 20-SMD 1210 White LED Car Lights Bulb 194 168 2825 W5W: Automotive

I bought the 20-SDM as soon as I got to the picture, I liked it so much. After reading on it is not the right bulb? But you say it still works? For the $20 I wanted to check it out myself.
Jim
Jim

Old 07-28-2014, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by LstFord
I bought the 20-SDM as soon as I got to the picture, I liked it so much. After reading on it is not the right bulb? But you say it still works? For the $20 I wanted to check it out myself.
Jim
Jim

The 5smd and 20smd lights work perfectly for the cars headlight side lights as you can see from my picture, I have 20smd on the outer side and the 5smd on the inner-side.
If you use my links they will be the correct lights. Btw they also work for the cars 4 rear side lights. And the cars interior floor lights (on top of your feet when u drive).

Me and Mike were talking about the Turn Signal lights that are a different bulb with around 68smd LEDs on each bulb. I told him I was not sue of the fit of those different ones since I haven't changed them yet.
Sorry for the confusion. Any more questions just ask I'll be glad to help.

The following users liked this post:
LstFord (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

I think I've figured out the turn indicators, at least for the 5.0 cars:

The turn signal indicator lamp uses a PY21W bayonet orange colored bulb in Rest Of World (ROW) markets. A S8W 27/7W wedge bulb is used in NAS markets.
I can't seem to find the North American S8W bulb, but here's one for the rest of us (there are others with the PY21W fitting):

2x Canbus Error free 7507 PY21W COB high power led Amber Yellow BMW | eBay

They look white/silver when not lit. As already discussed, they might not be legal everywhere.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:23 PM

Thanks, its only the Cats, cats back is all stock (with fuse 19 removed). They are the Milltek hi flo cats. I got them from Eurotoys LTD. The downside is they cost about the same as a cats back exhaust system and I would like bigger diameter tailpipes to fill the diffuser more.

PS I did go OCD when I tried to sort out my bulbs as well %-)
Nice! Why did you go with the hi flow cats and not the full exhaust?
I don't know much about exhausts or cats so I don't really know the differences sadley.
If you were to get a new exhaust would it already have new cats as we'll or same cats but just new exhaust?