XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Audio Connectivity Module for 2008 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audio Connectivity Module for 2008 XKR

I have a 2008 Portfolio XKR and for some time have wanted to pursue options for connecting an Ipod or USB device to the sound system. In searching the forums, I could not find definitive information about exactly which ACM was correct, what the installation entailed, or what the ultimate functionality would be after installation. When I researched which module was appropriate, I found three different numbers referenced. In fact, when I called Corporate Jaguar Customer Service and two different Jaguar dealers, I got three different numbers. Finally, I decided that I would trust the answer I received from Corporate Jaguar Customer Service. The reason for this confidence was that they took the serial number of my car and researched the topic before calling me back three days later. The appropriate number for my car is part no: C2P16491. I have installed it and am delighted with the results. If you are interested in further information, I will attempt to answer the questions I raised above.

Which ACM? C2P16491 According to the informaion with the module this unit fits all new XK's from 2007.

How much did the ACM cost? $278 plus tax from my local Jag dealer

What does the installation entail? The module consist of a very complete kit which includes a module in a plastic case, USB connection port, RCA cable input jacks, connector for an IPOD, major wiring harness with multiple connectors directly compatible with the existing Jag harness, various connecting cables, and installaion brackets and hardware. I found the kit very professional with very clear instructions. To install the kit, the hardest part is carefully removing the dash and console trim pieces. The center trim around the sound system/GPS/Climate control must be removed and then the entire sound system/GPS/Climate control must be removed as a single unit. The center console trim must also be removed. The instructions are clear in showing how to perform these steps. The entire glove compartment unit must also be removed. Once you reach this step, the actual installation of the kit hardware is very straigtforward. The entire installation took me about 3 hours and much of that time was studying and planning my way forward.

Once the system is installed, YOU MUST TAKE IT TO A JAG DEALER AND THEY MUST PROGRAM THE SYSTEM TO RECOGNIZE THE NEW HARDWARE. This costs me $140.

Now the functionality: When the system is programed you will notice a new icon "Aux" on the screen in addition to the existing "AM/FM" and "CD". When "Aux" is chosen you now have the option of playing an Ipod from the center console compartment or plugging a USB flash drive into the USB port in the glove compartment. You can select between these devices by way of a switch on the USB port in the glove compartment. The only thing you see on the main screen is the "Aux" icon. Only the steering wheel controls of volume and program selection function and enable you to move from file to file and control volume. Using the Ipod allows to you view and make selections from the Ipod screen. When using a USB flash drive, you can only blindly advance to the next song using the steering wheel control. I admit the functionality is a bit limited but it certainly beats the alternative. Bottom line is, I found the ACM kit well made and easy to install and I am very happy to have the connectivity even if the music menus do not appear on the main screen. If anyone has other questions, I am happy to respond.

The following 4 users liked this post by xkjames:
bart_redline99 (03-04-2012), KBaker (02-07-2018), Macc (12-06-2018), TM08XKR (11-05-2021)
Old 11-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You just described my ACM install almost to a tee. I also installed the ACM myself only to find that the system did not automatically recognize it. A trip to the dealer fixed that.

Since I use my iPhone as my music player, I didn't like the idea of putting the connector in the glove compartment or center console. I bought a mount made just for the XK and installed a pass-thru dock. I think it worked out nicely, as I can see what is playing and swap playlists etc.

What part of Texas are you from?

Last edited by fstick09; 11-04-2010 at 11:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TM08XKR (11-05-2021)
Old 11-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Have2008 XKR Coupe also is it have a ipod interface.. please let me know,and where do i find the jack............. in the dark.

Last edited by harrymitch; 11-04-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:28 PM

If the ACM is installed you will have a USB/3.5mm connector in the glove box. You will also have the ipod/iphone connector and it will either be in the center console or the glove box with the other connector. It will depend on who did the installation.

The actual ACM control box will be on the underside of the dash on the passenger side. It will be under a padded cover attached by 3 or 4 plastic connectors that you squeeze and pull down.

I have had to reset mine once after it stopped responding to the steering wheel commands.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sir I Have The same car, but some how i got satellite radio ,I want a ipod set up please help...What did you Do to get a ipod hook up....

Last edited by harrymitch; 11-06-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:51 PM

Post # 1 should tell you everything you need to know about adding the ACM module to get iPod connectivity.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:51 PM

harrymitch,
Please refer in detail to my original posting: you must purchase the ACM (audio connectivity module) from Jaguar. It will need to be installed and then programed by the Jaguar dealer. xkjames

Old 04-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Instructions

I downloaded the instructions for the ACM install from Jaguar TOPlx. If you can't find it there. Send me a note and I will forward it to you.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Urgent answer please

Hi Guys,

I need an answer quick, as my car is at the dealer right now, having an ACM fitted so I can play MP3's from USB.
I have a 2008 XKR portfolio ed. It came with satellite radio.

The dealer already had ordered and received the ACM kit but he says the install will be about $1200 (about $750 parts, rest is labor) as he says it also needs a second module, and an extra antenna...

No-one here seems to have mentioned the need for extra modules or antennas, and the price XKJames said he paid above for the parts is $278 + tax. Does anyone even have any clue what the second module and antenna he says I need might be for, and whether I actually need it or not?

Thanks guys,

Neil

Last edited by JustNiz; 03-03-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 AM

If a 2008 install you should not need anything more than what XKJames outlined in post # 1.

I am not sure on full installation prices, but what you are quoting seems crazy. It sounds like your service advisor doesn't know what he is talking about.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
Hi Guys,

I need an answer quick, as my car is at the dealer right now, having an ACM fitted so I can play MP3's from USB.
I have a 2008 XKR portfolio ed. It came with satellite radio.

The dealer already had ordered and received the ACM kit but he says the install will be about $1200 (about $750 parts, rest is labor) as he says it also needs a second module, and an extra antenna...

No-one here seems to have mentioned the need for extra modules or antennas, and the price XKJames said he paid above for the parts is $278 + tax.

The need for an antenna just to add USB/Ipod/3.5 mm jack connectivity seems crazy, unless its doing that horrible transmit over FM thing (which I REALLY hope not because from experience with other FM transmitters, the audio quality sucks *****. Also I understand once the kit is installed and the car is reprogrammed, it gains an AUX input in the "source" list. I'm thinking its unlikely but I guess its possible that selecting the Aux input could just be tuning the FM tuner to a preset channel). If its just transmitting the audio over FM I certainly wont spend $1200 to get it.

Does anyone know for sure if C2P16491 is really just an FM transmitter, or does it use actual wiring to get the audio signal to the head unit? Looking at the install guide the only thing I can see plugged into the ACM other than leads for the USB, Aux and IPod inputs is what the guide calls the power harness, although the sketch shows it has a bundle of wires and 5 connectors which seems excessive just to get 12v.

Also, does anyone even have any clue what the second module and antenna he says I need might be for, and whether I actually need it or not?

Thanks guys,

Neil
I installed an ACM in my '07 XK. I purchased the ACM from Jaguar for about the same price as noted above. I had my dealer install it. The only charge was about $500 for labor and programming the radio to recognize the ACM. There were no addition parts required, everything needed was in the ACM kit. I suggest you do not proceed until your dealer can justify the other charges.

By the way, the ACM supports a flash drive, iPod and also provides RCA left and right inputs for a total of three different sources. There is definitely not an FM interface, the audio signal is direct, just like on your home stereo.

One additional point is important to know, you must switch the input selector between iPod and flash drive manually. Also if you use the RCA connection, you must disconnect the iPod and/or flash drive. If you don't, there will be a severe reduction in volume and possibly audio bleeding between the other devices.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Ipod adapter

I went a different route because of the expense and installed aftermarked amps. However, I can't imagine why you would need an antenna.

I would take the parts bought from the parts guy here on the board and have an audio shop do it and it will be much much cheaper.

I got quoted some outrageous price at one point too.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds like they're banging him for the sirrius/xm radio and the sat antenna.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Default ACM on 2008 XKR Portifolio

As I described in my original post, the ACM "module" is all that was required on my 2008 XKR Portifolio with satellite capable system (I believe the same sound system you have). No other modules or antenna were required and the the input is hardwired (not through FM) using the wiring harness provided with the ACM.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Neil,

Nothing is adding correctly up here. I plan on walking this path myself this summer but will install the module myself. If they try to charge me more than an hours labor to activate it, I'll take it to the next dealer.
I recomend you take a deep breath, pull your car, come home with (or without) the ACM, and let us help figure out why your dealer is nailing you to the wall. It seems they clearly haven't done this before.

My 2 cents.
Vince

Old 03-02-2012, 05:21 PM

OK I'm now happy.

After several calls/emails to the service guy sending him the ACM install guide and several internet links including this one, he did realise he and his pricing were mistaken.

He had assumed that the extra control module and the antenna that were also on the work order parts list were all to do with the ACM (so my cost) but actually they're a new door module + antenna to fix another issue, which is being fixed under warranty (so not my cost).

I had a problem where the car doors would lock any time the driver got out and shut the door with the fob still inside the car (both with and without the engine running). The manual says it shouldn't be possible to get locked out that way but my bad experience with that is a story for another time.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited by JustNiz; 03-02-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
OK I'm breathing a sigh of relief.

After several calls/emails to him citing all sorts of internet references, he's finally figured out he (and his pricing) were mistaken.

He had assumed that the extra control module and the antenna that were also on the work order parts list from their parts department were all to do with the ACM, but actually they're a new door module + antenna to fix another issue, which is being fixed under warranty (so not my cost). (The car doors kept locking even with the fob inside the car).

Thanks for all the help anyway guys!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like fstick09 I had my iPod plug come through the center console with lots of extra length so that I could create a convenient mount for the device. This is important because if you want full control of your iPod you have to do it on the iPod, the control features on the screen after programming are very limited and slow like everything else on the center screen.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Default Really Jaguar, this is the best you can do on a $100k+ car?

In my old car (2000 XKR) I installed a Motorola TK30 bluetooth adapter (which cost about $130), so that I could do the bluetooth phone thing. It also came with a USB interface so I had my entire music collection on a 16GB USB stick in the car. As well as make calls, I could even stream music on my phone over bluetooth to the car stereo speakers.

Yet streaming audio over bluetooth is apparently not supported by my new XKR. A $100k+ car with premium audio and bluetooth built in from the factory.

So the next step was to have the ACM kit installed on my new car on the basis that I could at least re-use my USB stick right?. USB being a feature most of even the crappiest rental cars I have gotten recently apparently have as standard these days. I wish I hadn't have wasted the $750 it cost me.

The ACM doesn't display a track list (or anything at all) on the car's display when playing music from USB (or from iPod/iPhone according to the ACM manual but apparently you can use the display on the device itself. I dont have any Apple stuff so cant confirm). The ACM just sequentially plays any music it finds on the USB device. Great if you only have like 3 songs. Totally useless if, like any normal person, you have more than that.

I have exactly 2369 songs on my USB drive. How do I find the track I want to play? The ACM manual says you can only step through files/folders sequentially using the next/prev track control. What a joke. With that many songs it would take forever to find anything. Such a method is unworkable so NOT even close to a viable solution.

I guess my only option left is to put my MP3s onto a bunch of CDs as the head unit doesn't support DVD disks. But the car unit only holds 6 CDs at once so it wont even come close to holding my entire collection. Even back in 2008 when my car was made I thought the days of having to keep stacks of CDs in the car were long gone, at least in premium cars.

I'm amazed Jaguar would dare to push out such a ridiculous solution, especially when even the cheapest cars (Ford Focusses, Hyundais etc) I've had as rentals usually come with USB support as standard that can display navigable lists of your files so you can directly chose what you want to play, without having to listen to at least the beginning of possibly thousands of other tracks first just to find it.

I was actually embarrassed for Jaguar when my friend brought his USB stick over from his Hyundai with music for us to listen to during a trip in my car. He totally cracked up at what I had to do to find tracks.

Last edited by JustNiz; 03-04-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dice electronics

Has anyone tried the dice electronics module? I am looking for alternatives for a 07 xk and this seems like a much less inexpensive option to the ACM. It does require an antenna hook up. Does jag use a standard antenna connector or will I need an adapter?
Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Audio Connectivity Module for 2008 XKR