Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto Boot Up Cell Phone

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts
Default Auto Boot Up Cell Phone

This was posted under the General Forums but realized it probably this group that might respond best to the lack of gauges issue.

I'm hoping someone here knows of a USB power port that acts like a USB cell phone wall charger, ie auto cycles the phone power when charging? That would allow the phone to automatically start when the ignition is on.

I've installed a bluetooth OBDlink-LX in my 12 XK that powers on/off with the ignition thus won't drain the battery. Additionally, I've rooted an unused Droid Razr Maxx with an app that auto launches the Torque app and one that shuts the phone down when the ignition is turned off. All fits well in the car and works fine and could be permanently mounted except that the phone has to be powered on maunually.

There are a million different types of car plugs out there but I've seen none that gives detail on how they might power a cell phone like a wall charger does. If anyone knows of a smart USB port plug like that I'd be greatful to hear of it.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

This is just a power on feature. I'm not sure I'm tracking your ask. I wired this to the glovebox lighter wiring (behind the glove box), it sends 5 volts to the USB port. I would imagine from that you would use a USB A to USB mini or micro cable, but is reads like you've already done that:

Amazon Amazon

Your issue is that you need the phone to turn on when power is fed to it. That has to be solved by programming the phone. I presume you want something like this:

Last edited by Sean W; 04-27-2018 at 11:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
Cee Jay (04-27-2018), pwpacp (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,155 Likes on 3,088 Posts

OK, that's all cool and handy sometimes. One would think that you'd still have to turn the device OFF manually.

The following users liked this post:
pwpacp (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

I think with phones >2014, they have a built in scheduler so you can schedule the phone to turn off. But unless you're a creature of habit, yes you'd have to shut it down yourself on some occasions. The sleep feature would also minimize phone battery drain while waiting for the scheduler to shut the phone down.

pwpacp (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by pwpacp
Additionally, I've rooted an unused Droid Razr Maxx with an app that auto launches the Torque app and one that shuts the phone down when the ignition is turned off.
Where are you planning on permanently fitting the Razr?

I also wonder, why are you using another, dedicated phone for that? I too have an OBD2 reader wired so it is only powered when the car is, and as the phone detects it, Tasker fires up Torque. I have my phone on a small round magnetic phone holder on the vent. I know the that's not the prettiest location for a phone, but then it's a very convenient one, especially as I also use the phone as a navigator.

pwpacp (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

@Sean W, Cee Jay, and Aonsaithya: Thanks for your replys.

I'm using the cigar lighter outlet in the ashtray which is a switched receptical. Since it is an old unused phone I wanted to leave it leaning in place (landscape) over the ashtray and had hoped to make a bezel to keep it permanently in position there for a finished look. That is where it sits now connected with an extremely short USB cable that tucks away neatly. Other than being required to turn the phone on manually it all works fully automatic. That is after the car starts & phone is turned on it connects to the OBDII and launches the Torque app. When the ignition is turned off I have an app that shuts the phone down....I had to root the device for that to work.

I have tested the phone using a USB wall charger that automatically boots the phone on when it is plugged into power. That is the feature I'm trying to replicate with an automotive USB plug but have been unable to ID anything on the market that can emulate a USB wall charger.

I know it may be possible to modify the phone's system program to sense when power is applied to it's micro USB port but I'm not geek enough to try that.
I found some instructions on the web for it but they don't include script or detail usable for my Motorola Razr Maxx. And then again, I truely lack the confidence to take that on. Hence, my call for help hoping someone may have already solved this puzzle.

Cee Jay (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I have tested the phone using a USB wall charger that automatically boots the phone on when it is plugged into power. That is the feature I'm trying to replicate with an automotive USB plug but have been unable to ID anything on the market that can emulate a USB wall charger.
So this is a 'special' USB wall charger that is able to send some sort of command to the phone, after powering it up?
What is the brand and model number of that charger?
Worst case, get an inverter that is powered by the lighter plug, and have it drive the USB charger.

Trending Topics

Old 04-27-2018, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

It's a Motorola wall charger but have been able to substitute another brand that did the same. I tried an inverter with the charger and it worked like a charm, but have to admit I was hoping there might be something integrated into a car charge port that would do the same thing. Worst case, I suppose, I might be able to dissassemble the inverter combine everything into a box and hard wire it under the instrument panel but that is extreme.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

You want Tasker app:

Here's the instructions to power on:

Old 04-27-2018, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

Sean W, thank you so much, I'm going to download the app and get started on it. It sounds like this will be the answer I'm looking for!

Old 04-27-2018, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

Sean W, thank you so much, I'm going to download the app and get started on it. It sounds like this will be the answer I'm looking for!
Your welcome. Hope it works. Tasker requires a bit of patience to learn imo. It can do a lot but it isn't always easy. Think learning excel:-) So you can set it up to start the phone, launch Torque, change brightness given the time of day, shut down, etc.. but you already have everything else set up so the step by step should fit well. Let us know how you get on.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

So Tasker can't power the phone on from an off state then plugged into an in-car charger. It would seem the only way to accomplish that task will be to modify the system code to make it think it is connected to a computer port. I'm thinking I might pick up a used Samsung phone sometime later to attempt a system code modification. There are a few DIY instructions on the web that appear to work for what I want.

My thanks to everyone for contributing on this for me. Though for now, I'll just have to tolerate the labor of pushing the power button......I know George Jetson would sympathize.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

What about simply leaving the phone on? Set up Tasker to switch on low power mode & airplane mode so it turns off all the radios and such when charging stops, and then turn on everything necessary when power starts flowing again? It ought to survive several days like that. I reckon you'd also get a much faster startup vs. booting up every time.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

I have it set that way but, unfortuately, didn't drive fequently enough that it would still die within a couple days....the battery is probably iffy due to age.