XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Back into Jag Ownership!

Old 12-03-2018, 05:12 AM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Like these
Very cool!

My car is the poor mans Aston....

Last edited by 09XFSuper; 12-03-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Just curious , are you concerned with the usual noise that the poly bushings emit.
No noise if done right.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Brewtech
Wait! you used poly bushings? Do you mind going into detail? Im thinking about going that route but very little info on the results with poly bushings.
Do it, you will not regret if you like a sportier more precise driving feel. If you would rather not feel the road and just want to float over it then don’t.

Bottom line ‘drivers’ need the poly bushings!

Old 12-03-2018, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Signs of waterpump failure are predominantly loss of fluid and pink stains on the underside of the car from the coolant burning off.

I had mine serviced last week and indy advised mine was absolutely fine atm.

In Polybushes I had them fitted all around on my x100 with new shocks and 2005 lowered springs back in 2009. People (On the forum) advised that the ride would be intolerable...it wasn't and transformed the car. However that was on 18" alloys so there was increased comfort to start.

The positives were didn't have a busy fail again and it transformed cornering The 150 is far sharper to start with, so will be interested in hearing your views
Thanks! Any noise associated with a failing pump?

Thoughts on the thermostat housing issue, is that applicable to the 4.2 SC motor?

Old 12-03-2018, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,885 Likes on 1,279 Posts

IIRC, the thermostat housing on the XKR is metal, unlike the XK plastic one.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
IIRC, the thermostat housing on the XKR is metal, unlike the XK plastic one.
Ah, thank you very much and wonderful to know that!

Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

There can be a severe rattle coming from the water pump almost sounding like the supercharger is failing. That was the signal from mine that prompted replacement as we were looking for the source of the rattling sound. I put powerflex poly bushings on my X100, and there most certainly is a "moaning" noise that can be quite annoying that comes with doing so.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
There can be a severe rattle coming from the water pump almost sounding like the supercharger is failing. That was the signal from mine that prompted replacement as we were looking for the source of the rattling sound. I put powerflex poly bushings on my X100, and there most certainly is a "moaning" noise that can be quite annoying that comes with doing so.
My car has a very light rattle/ticking noise at idle, will look into the pump.

As far as noise from poly bushings I have done at least 10 cars of varying types and never had an issue. 5 of my cars currrently have all poly bushings. I have about 2500 miles on the XKR since the job was completed. Driven in heat, humidity and rain and no wierd suspension sounds whatsoever, nothing. I can’t speak to your X100 but my X150 has responded to poly bushings wonderfully. They have certainly made the car a better drivers car with no apparent trade off.

I can think of no reason why a properly installed poly bush would create a moaning sound. Strange.

Last edited by 09XFSuper; 12-03-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by 09XFSuper

My car has a very light rattle/ticking noise at idle, will look into the pump.

As far as noise from poly bushings I have done at least 10 cars of varying types and never had an issue. 5 of my cars currrently have all poly bushings. I have about 2500 miles on the XKR since the job was completed. Driven in heat, humidity and rain and no wierd suspension sounds whatsoever, nothing. I can’t speak to your X100 but my X150 has responded to poly bushings wonderfully. They have certainly made the car a better drivers car with no apparent trade off.

I can think of no reason why a properly installed poly bush would create a moaning sound. Strange.
From my experience they usually squeak and not moan. This usually starts after the grease in the bushings get washed away. From a handling aspect poly is firmer and gives you more of a road feel. Could be the exhaust note is covering it. I made a sacrifice buying the R vs the XK regarding ride quality but the ride is acceptable by compensating with a softer tire compound.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
From my experience they usually squeak and not moan. This usually starts after the grease in the bushings get washed away. From a handling aspect poly is firmer and gives you more of a road feel. Could be the exhaust note is covering it. I made a sacrifice buying the R vs the XK regarding ride quality but the ride is acceptable by compensating with a softer tire compound.
Yes, traditionally folks say poly bushings can squeak. I have not had such issues. Perhaps the modern poly bushing grease is better? That stuff is almost impossible to wash off your hands, I use my solvent tank to clean my hands and tools of that stuff!

I only grease the inner openings of the bushing into which the metal sleeve slides. The bushings have grooves in there to retain grease, I always fill in there real well and then slide the metal sleeve thru. I never grease the outer portion of the bushing that will be in contact with the control arm, always press them in dry.

I believe the bushing should rotate on the metal sleeve and not rotate in the control arm. I know people make the mistake of greasing the outer portion of the bushing before pressing it into the control arm and end up with noise issues. I believe that mistake is the source of most of the noise issues as that large surface is not supposed to rotate in the control arm and it is much easier to wash grease away and have it get dirty in that location. Just hypothesizing here but I have never had squeaky poly bushings on any of my cars.

The XKR is amazing to drive since the suspension refurbish, it was ok before but truly great now.

The following 2 users liked this post by 09XFSuper:
mosesbotbol (12-04-2018), Panthro (02-10-2019)