Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Battery Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 10:43 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Battery Swap

Hi all

My XK is now approx. 7 years old. It has an OEM battery installed, but I don’t know if it is still the first or if it was replaced by the former owner at some point in time.

However I drove the car for 200 miles and the next day, after turning the stereo on for 5 Minutes without engine running, the system advised that the stereo will shutdown in 3 minutes due to low voltage.
I then measured the voltage at the battery, still without running the engine. Result: 12.2 V.
Does that mean I should start looking for a replacement battery soon?

If replacement advised: has anybody tried to swap the main battery while another car battery is hooked up with jump start cables to the positive/negative terminals on the left side of the boot - i.e. to avoid power loss and deleting of all memories and settings? Any reason this is not a good idea?

BR
Ter

Old 05-01-2018, 10:49 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Ter11
Hi all

My XK is now approx. 7 years old. It has an OEM battery installed, but I don’t know if it is still the first or if it was replaced by the former owner at some point in time.

However I drove the car for 200 miles and the next day, after turning the stereo on for 5 Minutes without engine running, the system advised that the stereo will shutdown in 3 minutes due to low voltage.
I then measured the voltage at the battery, still without running the engine. Result: 12.2 V.
Does that mean I should start looking for a replacement battery soon?

VERY SOON, like yesterday :-)

If replacement advised: has anybody tried to swap the main battery while another car battery is hooked up with jump start cables to the positive/negative terminals on the left side of the boot - i.e. to avoid power loss and deleting of all memories and settings? Any reason this is not a good idea?

BR
Ter
That is how I do it, I use my spare Lawn Tractor Battery exactly as you describe.

Cheers,

Dave

Old 05-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

For what its worth, I have disconnected my battery a couple times and have never lost any memory settings... Not sure the procedure of using cables and alternate battery to keep a power source is necessary.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Me, I don't bother with a 'memory holder' as the only thing lost on a battery change is the Window Settings, which take literally fifteen seconds to reset. Everything else is still intact, such as all Nav stuff, all Audio stuff, Seat memories, oh heck, I think EVERYTHING stays EXCEPT for the Windows.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:52 PM

One or the other way I will be looking into a replacement battery to put in within the next weeks. The original battery is 12v 90Ah and I will probably use 100Ah as replacement.

Can anyone confirm that the measurements to fit are 353 x 175 x 190 mm?

Regards!
ter

Old 05-01-2018, 06:35 PM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Well depending on your state inspection and how many miles you use it ,you might loose the OBD readiness status and then have to drive it all over the place ...

Old 05-05-2018, 09:37 AM

I have today swapped the battery. The measurements above fit (100Ah Varta battery) but the OEM Jag battery (90 Ah) that I got out was a tiny little bit lower that this Varta, approx. 1cm. Otherwise ident measurements. They both fit flawlessly.

I btw used my motorcycle connected with jump cables to the +- terminals in the trunk to avoid power and memory loss. It worked without any problems.

Regards!
ter

Old 05-05-2018, 10:56 AM

Here pictures of the Jag OEM battery that came out:

Last edited by Ter11; 05-05-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:03 AM

The Jag OEM battery depicted above looks like a standard wet no-maintenance lead 12V battery to me. Nothing fancy like AGM or similar. Also the replacement battery I used is a OEM-quality standard lead battery by manufacturer Varta/Johnson Controls.

Did Jaguar in 2011 or later ever put from factory AGM batteries in its cars, with the specific charging technology in place and with replacement batteries also in need to be AGM spec?

Regards
ter

Old 05-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I always fully charge new batteries before installation. My experience is that the charge on new batteries degrades as it sits on the shelf in the store. Not sure what benefits, if any, result from this, but my new batteries have operated seamlessly.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:56 AM

Always a good idea to give the new battery a full charge before it goes to work. Exactly what I did overnight before today.

BR
ter

Old 05-06-2018, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

[left

Did Jaguar in 2011 or later ever put from factory AGM batteries in its cars, with the specific charging technology in place and with replacement batteries also in need to be AGM spec?

]
Yes, Jaguar did and does fit AGM batteries to its current cars (no pun intended). My F-Type has its original AGM battery.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Yes, Jaguar did and does fit AGM batteries to its current cars (no pun intended). My F-Type has its original AGM battery.
I was told by a service tech that Jaguar started using AGM batteries when they started with their start/stop technology. First as a secondary battery used specifically for the stop/start feature then as the primary battery. They also changed the alternator/ECM profile to accommodate the AGM . He never recalled seeing an X150 delivered with an AGM . Don't know if this was true but that's his story.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Yes they put them in XJ and others too, BUT I have been looking and looking but I cannot find a 5.0L XK (2010-up) that has an AGM Battery installed in the US, either originally or as a replacement. I tried with a Bosch AGM and couldn't make it fit due to extra module on the Neg Terminal(see pic), the cover would not go back on properly. I am going to measure some other AGM brands today and try again. I was paying that close attention at the time, but I could have sworn the Bosch AGM was 7.75" tall, I am going to go remeasure one of those today also.

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by 10XKR; 05-07-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:27 PM

Dear Dave,

one question: even if you find an AGM battery that fits in the XK, would it not be necessary to adapt the charging technology a little bit to make sure the load voltage is correct for AGM? I understand that AGM requires a different loading voltage than traditional wet batteries. But I am no expert...

BR,
​​​​​​​ter

Old 05-14-2018, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Dear Dave,

one question: even if you find an AGM battery that fits in the XK, would it not be necessary to adapt the charging technology a little bit to make sure the load voltage is correct for AGM? I understand that AGM requires a different loading voltage than traditional wet batteries. But I am no expert...

BR,
​​​​​​​ter
The service bulletin says re-place AGM with AGM and Flooded with Flooded. Unfortunately none of us could figure out when exactly they switched to XK to AGM. There was a vin number mentioned in the bulletin (sorry, I can't access it right now but it's in another thread somewhere...) but others have said their vin is in the AGM range but they have flooded and vice-versa. There are a few threads on this. Others changed from flooded to AGM and had no problems (CeeJay maybe??) Might be worth a call to a dealer to see if you are concerned.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:28 AM

Hi all

for future reference I would like to link to the following thread here on the forum which provides most up to date information AND a link to Jaguar‘a TSB on the subject of AGM batteries in XKs and how to identify them:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-182442/page2/

BR
ter

Old 05-20-2018, 08:50 AM

Some more details on the JLR OEM battery to be discussed:

When you read the TSB on how to identify Jaguar OEM batteries as AGM or not-AGM (see here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...2&postcount=19) it seems pretty clear, that the following battery is a traditional wet non-AGM battery:

HOWEVER - there is one point of doubt that I have
in this regard, whether this really is a traditional
non-AGM flooded batterie. See my next post... (technical issue)

Last edited by Ter11; 05-20-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Hi all

for future reference I would like to link to the following thread here on the forum which provides most up to date information AND a link to Jaguar‘a TSB on the subject of AGM batteries in XKs and how to identify them:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-182442/page2/

BR
ter
As mentioned I had talked to now 2 different Jaguar dealer service managers and both told me that the X150 series cars were never delivered with an AGM battery. They knew of the TSB and also said it was a blanket statement to cover the later model cars with the Start/Stop feature. I can see this discussion going in the same direction of best oil , best brakes , best rotors , best antifreeze and so on. LOL

Old 05-20-2018, 08:59 AM

...look at this vented (!) AGM(!) from Varta (detail eg.
Amazon Amazon
)

It looks almost exactly like the OEM one.
And Varta‘s flooded batteries look different - such as the
100Ah one 100Ah one
that I have installed replacing the black OEM depicted above.

Br
ter

Last edited by Ter11; 05-20-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Battery Swap