XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bowers and Wilkins- Please tell me this isn't as good as it gets

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bowers and Wilkins- Please tell me this isn't as good as it gets

As new (2010) XKR owner, I’m genuinely hoping the factory “Bowers and Wilkins” audio system is somehow broken or in need of repair. Now to my discredit, I should have checked the sound system before buying. Suppose I was so busy with the wow factor of the XKR it never occurred to me to “test drive” what was reported to be this incredible Bowers and Wilkins system. Guess I assumed it would be comparable to other high end manufactures systems. Possibly a BIG mistake.

Now that I’m on the Jag forums it looks like I’m not the only one with issues or complaints, but haven’t found an answer to my specific questions.
So here’s my questions for the group:
1) This is supposed to be a 525watt system, yet sounds like my clock radio next to my bed. Seriously, very little volume control
and certainly no power outside of a stock radio in a corolla.
It is possible to just have a loose connection or maybe a blown amplifier fuse? It’s not that the volume control doesn’t work, but at “max”power you can still have a normal conversation with your passenger. A 525watt system should make your ears bleed.
2) Horrible FM radio reception. So bad I can’t even pick up one of the city’s most powerful local stations. Again, could it be a loose
connection? Is this something easy to rectify?
3) MP3 player connection. Is it possible to run an MP3 player outside using an IPOD? (Think I saw a post on this but figured I’d throw
this question in while I was at it).

Thanks all. Happy to be on-board.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

My B&W sound system (2009 XKR) is totally awesome, and no problems what so ever. Even with the top down, the sound is awesome.

FM reception is excellent.

I have loaded a micro USB into the docking station with many folders/albums and it is awesome sound.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Same here as in its wonderful! I have a '13 but I can't say I've ever turned on the radio.. I always use XM, CD, Iphone or thumbdrive.

Last edited by MaximA; 04-01-2014 at 08:08 AM. Reason: 3 hrs of sleep and can't type
Old 04-01-2014, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the replies. So based on what you're saying, it sounds like i very much have an issue. The only question is what?

Old 04-01-2014, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by rsw1
As new (2010) XKR owner, I’m genuinely hoping the factory “Bowers and Wilkins” audio system is somehow broken or in need of repair. Now to my discredit, I should have checked the sound system before buying. Suppose I was so busy with the wow factor of the XKR it never occurred to me to “test drive” what was reported to be this incredible Bowers and Wilkins system. Guess I assumed it would be comparable to other high end manufactures systems. Possibly a BIG mistake.

Now that I’m on the Jag forums it looks like I’m not the only one with issues or complaints, but haven’t found an answer to my specific questions.
So here’s my questions for the group:
1) This is supposed to be a 525watt system, yet sounds like my clock radio next to my bed. Seriously, very little volume control
and certainly no power outside of a stock radio in a corolla.
It is possible to just have a loose connection or maybe a blown amplifier fuse? It’s not that the volume control doesn’t work, but at “max”power you can still have a normal conversation with your passenger. A 525watt system should make your ears bleed.
2) Horrible FM radio reception. So bad I can’t even pick up one of the city’s most powerful local stations. Again, could it be a loose
connection? Is this something easy to rectify?
3) MP3 player connection. Is it possible to run an MP3 player outside using an IPOD? (Think I saw a post on this but figured I’d throw
this question in while I was at it).

Thanks all. Happy to be on-board.
Pretty interesting note as during my search for 2012's or newer I saw 2 cars that when looking at the Carfax had the radio's replaced due to problems. Now this is only based on looking at maybe 25-30 cars but finding 2 with this problem seems to say something. I also test drove a 2011 and during the review the sound system was in my opinion great.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

It may be your settings. You should have treble, bass, subwoofer, 2 channel, dolby pro logic and another I can't remember. You can also move the spatial orientation of the speakers around the cabin. I have mine set deadcenter but slightly in front of the occupants.

Have you have found these controls?

Old 04-01-2014, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Anyone here with a Topix subscription that can see if he has a bulletin?

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
Anyone here with a Topix subscription that can see if he has a bulletin?
Yes anyone know if there is JTB for the stereo in 2010 or older cars??

I have found the system is great with high end digital "dance" music like Crystal Method and Daft Punk...however...80s hair bands just plane sound crappy. ?????

SO...when I am in my Jag... I am a rolling DISCO MACHINE BABY!!!!

Loth

The following 2 users liked this post by Lothar52:
Jffcurt (04-01-2014), MaximA (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

I have noted that my FM stereo reception is great, especially if its a HD station like a major FM station in my local area....can't help you there...something MUST be wrong.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by MaximA
It may be your settings. You should have treble, bass, subwoofer, 2 channel, dolby pro logic and another I can't remember. You can also move the spatial orientation of the speakers around the cabin. I have mine set deadcenter but slightly in front of the occupants.

Have you have found these controls?
Yes, I found the bass/treble controls. Don't recall seeing the dolby controls. I'll check again this evening. I take it it's under the same drop-down screen?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

I had shitty sound in mine too, until one day I was out with my son and he made comment on the poor sound quality. While I was driving, he made some adjustments, told me how dense I was for not having the radio set up properly and ever since, the sound has been awesome.

He's probably right about the dense part.

MaximA (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

There is a setting button when you are in the radio menu and its a few levels deep. I can't remember the details as i set mine once and have been very happy with it. My cars in the shop so I can;t run out and look, if anyone has some more info that would be great.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Hopefully this will help...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...results-64072/

Originally Posted by rsw1
Yes, I found the bass/treble controls. Don't recall seeing the dolby controls. I'll check again this evening. I take it it's under the same drop-down screen?

MaximA (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
I had shitty sound in mine too, until one day I was out with my son and he made comment on the poor sound quality. While I was driving, he made some adjustments, told me how dense I was for not having the radio set up properly and ever since, the sound has been awesome.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Great reference link, Bruce. Thanks for posting!

Rich

Old 04-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you Bruce, my settings are pretty close but I use all for the DSP.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd

Right, I suspect that once I get the dolby turned on (or maybe off) it'll make all the difference. Even my Yamaha home theater amp sounds horrible with the Dolby off.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

I run mine on '3ch' - can't see any point in trying to fake surround sound from a stereo source, and I seem to recall that using the Dolby setting made it all kinda 'thin'. But I do like the punch that the sub adds. Timelords/KLF's 'Doctoring the Tardis' came on today, and that nearly made the windows rattle.

"Ex-ter-minate, ex-ter-minate!"

pabanker (04-06-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

The B & W system isnt very good IMO. I had it in my first XF, and with the XKR and it isnt a patch on the volvo systems I am used to. In fact I've been driving my missus' v40T5 CC which is new and shiny, the same music (playing Groove Armada) sounds awesome in that, acceptable in the XKR. Better than a normal car, but not as good as I am used to. Any big beat techno, eg Fluke/death in vegas/basshunter sounds OK in the XKR, but not brilliant. That said I understand that the B & W system is great for jazz. I've never met anyone under 70 who listens to jazz, but I suppose that they would be very happy with it.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

It's definitely worth playing about with the settings. I've got mine the way I like it, at least at reasonable volume. It gets a little thinner when turned down. And my taste certainly isn't jazz (industrial/goth/metal/electronica).

Quick Reply: Bowers and Wilkins- Please tell me this isn't as good as it gets