XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Brrraaaakkkeeee duuussttt!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Brrraaaakkkeeee duuussttt!!!!

I'm loving my new XKR! But why didn't you guys warn me about the brake dust this thing gives off! I'll be you were all snickering thinking - "he wants to put aftermarket wheels on it; wait till he sees the brake dust" ;-)

Good-googley-woo it beats the Porsche's and BMW's.

Washed it yesterday and figured I'd take the wife out on a date tonight. Went to check on the beast and the front wheels ain't so pretty anymore. Do you guys do replacement pads like the old EBC's or what?

Last edited by Evoking; 04-06-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Evoking,

Welcome to the club... Fair warning was given though

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...st-hell-66277/

Give it a read. Incredibly good info in there.

Skeeter

Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I got one of the mods to help me start a petition to Jaguar about this across the XK range, some signed on but many did not and some even gave me some $hit about it manly the xk8 crowd...There's strength in numbers...I tried.

My dealer tried early on to get me some low dust pads from Red something or other but they were told the pads for the XKR were on back order and they may not produce them anymore due to lack of demand...

Here's the link for our group...for those that hadn't signed on lets revive this.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...etition-68868/

Last edited by RJC; 04-06-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

When they designed the xkr-s they must have this in mind. The rims are dark grey and you can not see any break dust!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:50 AM

We definitely need to re-open that petition. It is absurd that a GT gives off more brake dust than full on track weapons like Z06, 911, M3. Jag already has the older crowd. Clearly with the XF and new XK they are seeking to capture a younger audience as well. People who would normally buy 911, 3, 5 or 6 series etc - in fact I'm a perfect example of a new win for Jag. Well to please folks my age and even younger they will want to fix this or get a rep for being ultra high brake dust.

Younger crowd is more **** about keeping their car clean as they're always going to meets and looking to show off!

Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My rear pads were at the point of replacement, so I bought Akebono aftermarket ceramic pads and asked the dealer installed them, which they did. A big difference in dust.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:50 PM

I have Akebono on the M3 and there is no brake dust either. I was under the impression there were no real aftermarket options. We should be covered then.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

It seems my '10 really dusts very little. I've mused why that might be, and some others the opposite, and wonder if it may have anything to do with me having done a track event with mine. The pads would have gotten much hotter than under normal use, and perhaps that changes the pad properties enough to reduce dusting...just a thought. I've driven mine a few hundred miles now (highway and stop and go) since the last wash, and the wheels are only ever so slightly dirtier than the rest of the car.

Bruce

Old 04-07-2012, 06:36 PM
RJC

I wonder if maybe they have had a different pad for your year or maybe the previous owner replaced them?

Old 04-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Brake dust is just the cost of *driving* with open wheels and good brakes. Of course, if the car is a trailer queen, then ....

Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RJC
I wonder if maybe they have had a different pad for your year or maybe the previous owner replaced them?
It was a Jaguar exec car for one summer before I got it so they wouldn't be after-market pads, but you might want to inquire if the 2010 is a different part number than yours.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 PM
RJC

Jaguar exec probably got tired of the black filth on his rims and had special jaguar executive low dust pads put in...lol

I will see if there's a different part number for 10, or maybe there are other 10 drivers that can chime in.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have black rims and I still clean them about twice a week. It just bothers me knowing its there!

Old 04-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bart_redline99
My rear pads were at the point of replacement, so I bought Akebono aftermarket ceramic pads and asked the dealer installed them, which they did. A big difference in dust.
+1 for the Akebonos. I have silver wheels which used to turn almost black just a few drives after a wash, but now stay clean between washes, and now the brakes are completely silent too. I expected the Akebonos to hurt braking performance, but they're very good, actually. I wouldn't auto cross with them, but spirited driving is OK.

Also, waxing your wheels will prevent brake dust buildup!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Naw, the stock pads on my 10 dust pretty well. Much more than the ceramics on my Z. I just haven't cared enough to replace them yet. But with as much dust as they're generating, I'll be surprised if they last very long anyway.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Snapped some pictures of my dirty car for you guys to compare my wheel brake dusting after tracking the car to your own. Maybe getting the pads hot has reduced the amount of dusting compared to brakes that have very few miles on them, or been used rather lightly. Pads have 10k miles on them. Car has maybe around 300 miles of mixed use on it since uncovering it from winter storage 3 weeks ago, and the car is quite dirty, although the silver hides it well. From a few feet away you're not particularly conscious of brake dust on the wheels, and the front wheels don't have the typical obvious black grimy look that you can spot from any distance, nor are they noticably dirtier than the rears after performing 70-80% of the braking load.

The brake dust looks quite normal compared to other cars I've had. Two current sports cars have 5 wide-spoke wheels and the narrow space between them on the rim gets heavy deposits while the spokes stay clean. The XKR wheels are so open that they seem to get pad material uniformly deposited over them. The more open spaces there are on the wheel the more brake dust is going to get out onto the visible areas. It also makes sense that the better the airflow is directed to cool the brakes the more the dust will be expelled through the wheels.

I just don't see a problem with the amount of brake dust on this car any more than on any other I've had, but I will say that the wheels are definitely a lot more difficult to clean because of all the tricky spots that a cleaning brush can't easily get to.

Name:  IMG_3866.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  62.0 KB

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 04-08-2012 at 04:36 PM.