A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 03:27 PM
Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Ha,ha,ha! Go for it SLazz!

Old 03-04-2019, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Does the car require a cigarette afterwards.

I dont care about how you relive the car, show us how you keep that engine bay looking so good.

Well done mate, garage and all.
Cigarillo, tequila and a Sol for me. She's just happy to sit and watch!
Spent most weekends for about a year just detailing the engine bay. Clean, clean and clean again!

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Andy, congrats for having one of the nicest and cleanest garage floors I've seen. (If you don't look at that piece of white trash (tissue paper?) across from the front tire.) Is it porcelain tile? And your car cover is perfect.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:24 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

GR8BRIT so many thanks for posting this! I'm hopefully just a few weeks away from getting the car out of winter storage (wishful thinking) and very much looking forward to getting this resolved (so I can then fix my ac blower motor that likely crapped out from water backup due to this confounded duckbill). God, this beats the hell outta having the dash pulled apart or trying to drop the transmission to get at the thing. You rock. I need to buy you a case of beer or something. Will post pix and report back as soon as I get to it... and will be sure to have a Marlboro for both of us on hand when done ;-). BTW killer tattoo and, as others have mentioned, what a garage - wow. Also, we have the exact same car 2009 XKR Portfolio (though mine isn't nearly as clean as yours!).

IowaPopPop (08-12-2021)
Old 03-05-2019, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Andy cool write up !!

Just a quick question is the duckbill offset to one side or directly in the middle of the transmission tunnel

Old 03-05-2019, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Andy, congrats for having one of the nicest and cleanest garage floors I've seen. (If you don't look at that piece of white trash (tissue paper?) across from the front tire.) Is it porcelain tile? And your car cover is perfect.
Actually, Goose ****! Long story but we have a male Goose who is besotted by a Jaguar

Stuart S (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Andy cool write up !!

Just a quick question is the duckbill offset to one side or directly in the middle of the transmission tunnel
Directly in the center of the tunnel. You will need to feel around for it but you will know when you touch it.
Cheers
Andy

Old 03-05-2019, 03:39 AM

Hey Digband,

Absolute pleasure, I hope it works out for you. If your arm gets too badly scratched you can always cover up with a cool half sleeve tattoo!

My A/C fan motor also stopped running. From what I could tell, it was not necessarily water getting into the motor but the bottom bearing getting wet and "gunking" up with crap causing the motor to work harder causing a component on the small control board to overheat and blow. I had a friend replace the blown component with an appropriate value thermal switch which cost ZAR36.00 (about $2.50). Labour cost was a few shots of tequila and a couple of beers!

If the Duck Bill was to become blocked again the thermal switch would just cut power to the blower to protect it, then a 10 minute clean would be all that's needed to resolve the issue and off you go again. You will find the control board bolted into the air duct close to the blower unit towards the center of the car. It's very easy to unplug and remove. Most electronics guy's would be able to identify the blown component and sort it out for you at a fraction of the cost of a new control board from the "*******s".

Small note: I have specifically not cut my Duck Bill as I know many have done as it is supposed to stop insects getting into the vehicle and slowly consuming it from the inside out. I live in Africa and know the sort of damage even a small colony of ants can do.

Finally, nice Portfolio you have there. Only three Portfolio Coupe's and three convertibles were imported to South Africa and I am reliably informed that my Coupe is the only one left and a chap down the road from me has the only Convertible left in the country. His car has only 21k miles and a maroon top (looks very nice) he does not really look after it and I have been trying to buy it from him for a while now, but is asking too much for it. Would love to have the matching his and hers set in the garage!

Anyway, good luck and let me know how you get on.

Regards

Andy
P.S. Where in upstate New York?

The following 2 users liked this post by GR8BR1T:
digband (03-05-2019), IowaPopPop (08-12-2021)
Old 03-05-2019, 07:26 PM

Andy,

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise to me that this issue caused exact replication of the same problems... thanks for the tip on the blower motor - add a few more cases of beer and a bottle of scotch to the IOU list. My pal who does all his own work on his 1970 XKE, Aston and Porsche is going to be helping me with the repairs so hopefully a look at your posts and a few tequila shots will also help me get this worked out, too. I'm in Syracuse, NY - way upstate, from the city anyway. Last year we had a break in the weather in late Feb early Mar and I got the car out of storage, only to have Apr be one of the snowiest on record here - hoping that was an anomaly! I don't have any real concern about insects here, so may go ahead and chop that duckbill right off.

I bet that maroon top looks sweet - keep working on him, maybe he'll come down on the price - the matching pair would be awesome!

Cheers,
Mike

Old 03-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Originally Posted by GR8BR1T
pour some silicone lubricant into the palm of your hand and just tease the end with your middle finger. Keep on repeating.
Does the car require a cigarette afterwards..
BAHAHAHAHAHAAH! I physically gut laughed at this. Ahhh. Good stuff, both of you guys....
back to work....

Queen and Country (03-06-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Give it the finger.

Thanks to GR8BR1T I have fingered the heck out of the duckbill as per his instructions and it works. After the lubing, I shut all the vents, turned the air conditioner to its lowest level, turned the blower on high and waited...... After a few minutes I turned the blower off and bingo! I saw a small puddle of water on the floor just under the firewall. First time I have ever been delighted to see a car pee. Thanks again to GR8BR1T. You just saved me a lot of hassle and some serous cash!

BTW, GR8BRIT's instructions should be a sticky.

Last edited by SLazz; 03-12-2019 at 05:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SLazz:
GR8BR1T (03-13-2019), IowaPopPop (08-12-2021)
Old 03-13-2019, 06:03 AM

Glad to be of help Steve!

@Digband - I doubt you will be able to get in this way with something sharp to cut the duck bill. I thought about that too, but rather than make a shitty job of cutting it I'd rather spend 10 minutes every six-months or so cleaning it.

Cheers guy's,

Old 03-18-2019, 01:28 PM

@Digband - I doubt you will be able to get in this way with something sharp to cut the duck bill. I thought about that too, but rather than make a shitty job of cutting it I'd rather spend 10 minutes every six-months or so cleaning it.
Cheers guy's,
Noted on that point Andy, and agreed if it's as easy as you indicate, I'll just plan to do it periodically. Also agree with Slazz this should be a sticky. I thought the Spring weather was going to break here as we had a 55F degree day last week, but this weekend we got a few inches of snow... that said, even if we get any more snow I don't think my driveway will need plowing and the town stops all road salting and plowing April 1, so I think I'm going to pull the cat from storage this coming weekend and get 'er done - will report.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by LosRubios
Your blower motor is probably fine. The damage is more likely to the blower motor resistor as the water causes a short that blows the thermal fuse inside the resistor. You can interchange the Jaguar version (Part C2Z6538) with the Land Rover version (BMR31677) - just search Ebay Motors, they are about $15-20. Depending on your proficiency with a soldering iron, you can also repair the resistor by replacing the thermal fuse (EYP-2BN109) for about $5. The resistor is attached by two short philips screws and is in the same plastic molding that holds the blower motor. It can be accessed once you remove the felt pad under the dash on the passenger side footwell.
LosRubios - thanks for this advice - I ordered the thermal fuse but also just ordered the whole resistor BMR31677 from ebay - I pulled mine out (thanks again for the tips on how to get to it and the part number) and to be honest I can't tell if the fuses are bad (see photo below) - I would expect to see broken solder points or blackened fuse, but I don't see either, so I have no idea if or which fuse needs replacing, so I'll probably send the fuse back - I figure a $17 troubleshooting measure for the whole resistor just to be safe is worth it. If it ain't the resistor or the fuse, I guess I'm back to a bad blower motor conclusion...

Cheers guy's,
GR8BR1T - Got the car out of storage this last week and am glad to report back that your instructions were spot on - I was able to successfully get my arm in there and lube up the duckbill (albeit with some scratches and an uncomfortable squeeze in). I unsuccessfully tried to cut that bugger off by taping a small exacto blade to my finger as some other folks on the forum have done - gave up after a few tries and now wholeheartedly agree with your "do it every 6 months" approach. I know this question sounds just plain wrong, but, just curious what lubricant do you use?

IowaPopPop (08-12-2021)
Old 03-30-2019, 02:48 PM

I used WD-40 Silicon Spray. It's grease free.

IowaPopPop (08-12-2021)
Old 03-30-2019, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by digband
Interesting photo, thanks for posting.
Now I see why you can reach and lube your duckbill, it sticks out of that hole!
On my ‘07, the sucker is up inside the hole and runs 90 degrees to yours. Yours must be the newer design.

IowaPopPop (08-12-2021)
Old 03-30-2019, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Interesting photo, thanks for posting.
Now I see why you can reach and lube your duckbill, it sticks out of that hole!
On my ‘07, the sucker is up inside the hole and runs 90 degrees to yours. Yours must be the newer design.
KJ what do you mean it runs 90° from the newer design .

Has anyone got a exploded view of the location for the 07 model

Old 03-30-2019, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
KJ what do you mean it runs 90° from the newer design .

Has anyone got a exploded view of the location for the 07 model
His duckbill points downward out of the hole, towards the top of the transmission.
Mine was up in the hole, pointing toward the front of the car, parallel to the transmission.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member

Ok I totally get it now still need to finger my one out !

Old 03-31-2019, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
His duckbill points downward out of the hole, towards the top of the transmission.
Mine was up in the hole, pointing toward the front of the car, parallel to the transmission.
The duckbill on my 07' also points parallel to the transmission. I massaged the duckbill but couldn't open the end up. That didn't stop me from lubing that baby up. I think if the duckbill is soft and pliable then the problem is solved anyway. After I massaged the duckbill for a few minutes and ran the air conditioner water flowed out and down to the floor.

As a precaution, I'll turn the air conditioner full blast on its coldest setting and close the vents perhaps once or twice a month. That should take care of the issue.

Last edited by SLazz; 03-31-2019 at 02:58 PM.
IowaPopPop (08-12-2021)

Quick Reply: A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution