XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 11:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, but difficult to use. Have been thinking of a way to use a hand drill to turn the cable. Would like to try attaching an endoscope to see the tool working on the duckbill.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rick67ca:
DannyJ (06-30-2019), robtroxel (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 10:03 PM
Received 375 Likes on 248 Posts
Default My turn!

Originally Posted by Rick67ca
Yes, but difficult to use. Have been thinking of a way to use a hand drill to turn the cable. Would like to try attaching an endoscope to see the tool working on the duckbill.
Could you send it to me cause yesterday my wife gave a scream saying her feet got wet, I closed all vents and set fan to full blast and got the water out for now.
I have an endoscope which I used to find the duckbill but couldn't see it, I'm afraid it's up into the hole. I have ordered a new endoscope with higher resolution and more LEDs so hopefully I can see some more with it when it arrives.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by peterv8
Could you send it to me cause yesterday my wife gave a scream saying her feet got wet, I closed all vents and set fan to full blast and got the water out for now.
I have an endoscope which I used to find the duckbill but couldn't see it, I'm afraid it's up into the hole. I have ordered a new endoscope with higher resolution and more LEDs so hopefully I can see some more with it when it arrives.
I am not ready to loan it out. It currently seems to tear up the duckbill which is good. However, I am going to figure out a way to put a small cutting disk on the end so it will cut it off rather than tear it up. Connecting a hand drill to the end of the cable worked very well. I am also going to try to connect an endoscope to the tool so I can see it work. Regarding the endoscope, the one I have does not give a clear picture. The range of focus is not correct. I am looking for one that has a .5” to 1.5” range of focus and that works for this application.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:36 AM

I am not ready to loan it out. It currently seems to tear up the duckbill which is good. However, I am going to figure out a way to put a small cutting disk on the end so it will cut it off rather than tear it up. Connecting a hand drill to the end of the cable worked very well. I am also going to try to connect an endoscope to the tool so I can see it work. Regarding the endoscope, the one I have does not give a clear picture. The range of focus is not correct. I am looking for one that has a .5” to 1.5” range of focus and that works for this application.
I was just kidding as I live in Sweden.:-)
I'll see what I do, do you have some measurements of you tool if I try to make something similar?

Old 07-02-2019, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by peterv8
I was just kidding as I live in Sweden.:-)
I'll see what I do, do you have some measurements of you tool if I try to make something similar?
OK - please see the pictures

Old 07-02-2019, 02:10 PM
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

[font][font][QUOTE = Rick67ca; 2093146] OK - por favor vea las fotos [/ QUOTE][/font][/font]
A question. If I remove the air filter from the room and throw water, would the water have to come out of the duckbill or would it come out somewhere else?

Old 07-02-2019, 02:14 PM

OK - please see the pictures
Sorry, missed that!

Old 07-02-2019, 02:24 PM

[font][font]Lo que quiero hacer es verificar que mi pato esté en buenas condiciones. [/font][font]Pensé en poner agua en el área del filtro de aire en la habitación para ver si el agua salía del pico de pato. [/font][font]El agua saldría del pato pivo o saldría de otro lugar aunque el pico del pato esté en buenas condiciones?[/font][/font]

Old 07-02-2019, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jomiltom
Lo que quiero hacer es verificar que mi pato esté en buenas condiciones. Pensé en poner agua en el área del filtro de aire en la habitación para ver si el agua salía del pico de pato. El agua saldría del pato pivo o saldría de otro lugar aunque el pico del pato esté en buenas condiciones?
The best way to tell is to look for water under the car after the air conditioner has been used.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:02 PM

That I know, what I need to know is if putting water in the area of ​​the filter the water would come out of the duckbill.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:21 PM

That I know, what I need to know is if putting water in the area of ​​the filter the water would come out of the duckbill.
I would not do that. The hvac blower draws air from there. You may get water on electrical components in there and cause problems.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:27 PM

[font][font][CITA = Rick67ca; 2093254] No haría eso. [/font][font]El soplador de aire acondicionado extrae aire de allí. [/font][font]Puede obtener agua en los componentes eléctricos y causar problemas. [/ QUOTE][/font][/font]
Thank you

Old 07-02-2019, 08:19 PM

[CITA = Rick67ca; 2093254] No haría eso. El soplador de aire acondicionado extrae aire de allí. Puede obtener agua en los componentes eléctricos y causar problemas. [/ QUOTE]
Thank you
Good luck, hope your AC is working great.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:47 AM
Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi i've repair my drain duck on my XKR 2007.
See my tuto (sorry is in french !!) -> Drain Duck

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (11-13-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 10:00 AM
Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

Just noticed water in the passenger side footwell. Thanks for the documentation -- looks like I'll need it!

Old 11-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for posting this.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C drain duck bill finger fix

Originally Posted by F15DOC
For what its worth, my XK started doing this. And I mean it was pouring into the footwell. So much much water that every time I turned a corner or accelerated water would just pour out. Condensation on my windows inside... not good, it was going to lead to mold or worse.
I tried the turn on full fan speed and close vents trick, it worked once... then not again.
My fix was easy if temporary.
Listen, I think most of you can reach the rubber duckbill with with your fingertip.
Start by removing the 4 screws and oil cap that hold the engine cover in place.
Replace the oil cap just because...
Crawl up on the engine onto your knees on the passenger side.
Reach back with your hand on top of the Transfer Case and you will feel a little metal hole going up, maybe 3-4 inches. If you angle your hand a bit you can easily get your middle finger up in that hole, just remember high school and you will figure it out.
The tip of your finger can feel the rubber, as soon as I touched it, water came flowing out over my finger, much like high school...
I simply squeezed and flicked the duck bill and all the water drained out... (ok I wont repeat the high school thing again, but this would have been appropriate here too).
Anyway, now no more leak inside the cabin.
I may put a tad of silicone on my fingertip and rub that on the duckbill to help prevent it from plugging again.
This literally took me 5 minutes after contemplating the big fix and manufacturing a razor tool... for the past 2 months!
This is easy, sure it may happen again, but for 5 minutes, who cares.
In fact, now that I have done it, I could probably start to finish it in less that 3 minutes.
We will see if the silicone trick helps.
When you climb up on the engine are your feet facing the front of the car?

Old 01-01-2020, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Yes

Old 01-01-2020, 04:56 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by big mike
When you climb up on the engine are your feet facing the front of the car?
Since you are able to easily access the duckbill with your finger, I strongly suggest you look back through these threads and see how one member was able to to attach an exacto knife blade to his finger and then slice the sucker off (duckbill, not his finger . I made the hand held tool because climbing on the engine was not an option for me. You were lucky this time in that the amount of water did not either short out your fan motor or equally expensive, short your control module. About $300 for each, unless you rebuild your control module like one member did. I was able to save my fan motor by dismantling and using WD-40, compressed air & time to allow it to dry out. It’s been 3 years since I sliced it and no problems since. Good Luck.

Old 01-01-2020, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duck bill damage

Originally Posted by Stu72
Since you are able to easily access the duckbill with your finger, I strongly suggest you look back through these threads and see how one member was able to to attach an exacto knife blade to his finger and then slice the sucker off (duckbill, not his finger . I made the hand held tool because climbing on the engine was not an option for me. You were lucky this time in that the amount of water did not either short out your fan motor or equally expensive, short your control module. About $300 for each, unless you rebuild your control module like one member did. I was able to save my fan motor by dismantling and using WD-40, compressed air & time to allow it to dry out. It’s been 3 years since I sliced it and no problems since. Good Luck.
Now having to replace fan motor and module at the Jaguar agency due to water damage from backup.

Quick Reply: A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution