XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 07:47 PM
Dan
Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

I may be able to remove the plastic trim where the wipers mount as well. I've been diligent about closing the vents and blowing out the water which I have to do every time I drive the car now.

I'll post an update when I get around to messing with it again.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:20 PM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Would a flex extension work?

Hey guys,

I just got a 2007 XK. I love it..but sure enough I am noticing water in the passenger footwell.

I see in my cars records that the drain hose was replaced in 2010. Unfortunately, I think it was replaced with the same duckbill part.

I appreciate your time uploading all those instructions. I am going to attempt it this week. I am not wanting to spend $800+ on this..but obviously in hot humid Florida, I need the AC to drain properly.

Would something like this work??

Enkay 115-C Flex Shaft with 1/4-Inch Chuck, Carded - Heavey Duty Flexible Shaft Drill - Amazon.com Enkay 115-C Flex Shaft with 1/4-Inch Chuck, Carded - Heavey Duty Flexible Shaft Drill - Amazon.com

98cm Spring Coated Pin Type Dremel Rotary Tool Grinder Flexible Shaft - - Amazon.com 98cm Spring Coated Pin Type Dremel Rotary Tool Grinder Flexible Shaft - - Amazon.com
<<< this one is even thinner...attach to my dremel and chew that puppy apart??

Using a small drill bit/ sanding attachement to open or chew away the duckbill? I would think the flex would be similar to the camera and its ability to get to the duckbill.

I have also thought about cutting into the funnel from inside the car...pushing a small tube in there to force the bill open..and then JB welding the plastic into the funnel to seal it off... thoughts?

My 3rd Jag. Did the factory tour a couple of years ago...Jag fan forever! (I just don't like wet feet) lol.

Thanks again,

Joe

Attached Thumbnails A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution-img_3514.jpg   A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution-img_3518.jpg  

Last edited by S-Typer; 03-26-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

This issue seems to crop up from time to time with several posts on this. As you say I have also thought about cutting into the funnel from inside the car and resealing, if it happens to mine, mine had it fixed before i bought it , but it probably was the same replacement part, but no one has decided to give it a go, it;s easy to reseal a hole in the plastic and seems to be easier to do.
As you say S-Typer .

Old 03-26-2016, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

[quote=S-Typer]Hey guys,

I just got a 2007 XK. I love it..but sure enough I am noticing water in the passenger footwell.

I see in my cars records that the drain hose was replaced in 2010. Unfortunately, I think it was replaced with the same duckbill part.

I appreciate your time uploading all those instructions. I am going to attempt it this week. I am not wanting to spend $800+ on this..but obviously in hot humid Florida, I need the AC to drain properly.

Would something like this work??

Enkay 115-C Flex Shaft with 1/4-Inch Chuck, Carded - Heavey Duty Flexible Shaft Drill - Amazon.com Enkay 115-C Flex Shaft with 1/4-Inch Chuck, Carded - Heavey Duty Flexible Shaft Drill - Amazon.com

98cm Spring Coated Pin Type Dremel Rotary Tool Grinder Flexible Shaft - - Amazon.com 98cm Spring Coated Pin Type Dremel Rotary Tool Grinder Flexible Shaft - - Amazon.com

I'll keep you guys posted as I will try and get mine on the hoist this week and see how much the gearbox will need to be released (dropped) in order to gain access to the duck bill this might be our best option

Ps loving joe's colour combo the yellow callipers really suit your paintwork

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 03-26-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the compliments on the color of the calipers. I went back and fourth for a while on what color to use. These are actually MGP caliper covers..in a Ford "Yellow Blaze" paint. It matches the color of the jaguar ceramic calipers pretty close.

I have rethought about how I am going to address this drain issue. I will cut a piece out of the funnel and snake down a flexible bit extension and sand out the duckbill from the inside (down in the funnel). I will then seal up my hole in the funnel.

This sounds pretty easy...although I know its tight in there!

Joe

Old 03-28-2016, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by S-Typer
Thanks for the compliments on the color of the calipers. I went back and fourth for a while on what color to use. These are actually MGP caliper covers..in a Ford "Yellow Blaze" paint. It matches the color of the jaguar ceramic calipers pretty close.

I have rethought about how I am going to address this drain issue. I will cut a piece out of the funnel and snake down a flexible bit extension and sand out the duckbill from the inside (down in the funnel). I will then seal up my hole in the funnel.

This sounds pretty easy...although I know its tight in there!

Joe
Hope it works out for you, don't forget to video the procedure and pics.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:26 PM

Hey guys..wanted to update everyone (It's humid now in most of the country /

The evap case funnel (inside the car) where it drains on the outside is actually a plastic shell..with insulation..which contains the hard plastic/ rubber hose. Good luck getting in that way.

I had flexi camera.. flexi dremel bit. Not gonna happen.

I patched the up the small hole with foam and epoxy (hole looked way bigger on that lcd camera screen..wasn't that big).

I took off the engine cover (the deco one..takes 2 min). Sure enough with my long fingers and skinny hands. I could touch the duckbill with the tip of my finger. I reached back on the driver side..palm in the air.. and index finger could get just inside of the bill (lets keep in clean...but yes..thought the same thing).

I put silicone spray on the tip of my finger..and went it. The silicone will keep it from sticking (its a 60k , 07 car from VA beach. I live in FL..AC will keep a steady stream going through it)

Long story short..all draining great now. Anyone with a NA 4.2 XK can get this done. With a flexi cam and an hour you could bend something in there to do the same thing. It is not far in at all! Saved me $850..

Any other recommendations from keeping plastic from sticking together? I had CRC Silicone on the shelf.

I left the engine cover off just in case..but its draining great. I thought of 100 ways to cut the duckbill (another member here mentioned a knife on a stick and it worked great..I'm not patient enough). We are always humid..so I use AC every day..And yes the Jag evaps a bunch.

Just FYI..I'm going to post on the fan blower situation shortly.

Joe

Last edited by S-Typer; 05-20-2016 at 11:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by S-Typer:
ferraripete (08-22-2016), kj07xk (07-26-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by S-Typer
Hey guys..wanted to update everyone (It's humid now in most of the country /

The evap case funnel (inside the car) where it drains on the outside is actually a plastic shell..with insulation..which contains the hard plastic/ rubber hose. Good luck getting in that way.

I had flexi camera.. flexi dremel bit. Not gonna happen.

I patched the up the small hole with foam and epoxy (hole looked way bigger on that lcd camera screen..wasn't that big).

I took off the engine cover (the deco one..takes 2 min). Sure enough with my long fingers and skinny hands. I could touch the duckbill with the tip of my finger. I reached back on the driver side..palm in the air.. and index finger could get just inside of the bill (lets keep in clean...but yes..thought the same thing).

I put silicone spray on the tip of my finger..and went it. The silicone will keep it from sticking (its a 60k , 07 car from VA beach. I live in FL..AC will keep a steady stream going through it)

Long story short..all draining great now. Anyone with a NA 4.2 XK can get this done. With a flexi cam and an hour you could bend something in there to do the same thing. It is not far in at all! Saved me $850..

Any other recommendations from keeping plastic from sticking together? I had CRC Silicone on the shelf.

I left the engine cover off just in case..but its draining great. I thought of 100 ways to cut the duckbill (another member here mentioned a knife on a stick and it worked great..I'm not patient enough). We are always humid..so I use AC every day..And yes the Jag evaps a bunch.

Just FYI..I'm going to post on the fan blower situation shortly.

Joe
Can you take a pick or point out with a picture where exactly you had you palm to touch the bill end.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Can you take a pick or point out with a picture where exactly you had you palm to touch the bill end.

Yep, I'll grab a picture this weekend. I noticed it draining a little slower after the car sits for 2 weeks or so. It's definitely something that need constant attention.

However, it was still draining..which is great.

I am going to try 3M Teflon spray on a latex glove (with a small tube...lol I'll take pics of that homemade contraption) this weekend. A little bit of that stuff..sprayed into bill..it should not stick together anymore.

Joe

Old 05-29-2016, 03:28 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I tried the proctology approach you described. I felt a hole about 1" diameter in about 4-5" from firewall and about 1" to the driver's right of center and got my finger in about 1/2". Couldn't feel the duck bill. Weird. I thought the duck bill extended to the surface of the floor pan. Interested to see your picture.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:15 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know I have not had anymore issues with AC draining
I wasn't able to fully cut the duckbill half off but was able to slice it a bit
honestly it's been draining so well I haven't bothered to try

I could not reach duckbill with my hand, so no Idea how you did that

One suggestion maybe a coat hanger or piece of bent wire to reach

Jehart, the duckbill is up inside the hole about 1", there is a picture on the first page I made showing location

Good luck guys

Old 07-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

THANK YOU DPez XK8! I am the original owner of my 07 convertible, and I joined this forum years ago to find an answer to this. Of course it did not start until the car was out of warrantee. Using your example, the third tool I made did the trick. I used 1/2 inch wide steel stock I had on hand that I fashioned to 8.5 inches to the right angle bend I pounded using my bench vise. That bend was 3/4 inch, which I drilled a small hole in the middle. That was for the small nail I used to secure an xacto knife blade. I put the knife on the inside flat of the bend, put the nail through so the head was against the blade, snipped off the end of the nail, leaving enough to pound it down on my vice, like a rivet. next I used two part epoxy to keep it from moving and add strength. The overall length from the back of the steel bend to the tip of the blade was just shy of 2". Following the rest of your advice with the camera, I eventually "Tore that sucker a new one". The biggest part of all this is PATIENCE & PERSISTENCE. Lastly, when you first see water dripping into the passenger side, definitely do the closed vent, high fan trick to get the water to drain. Put the temp as high as you can after you get it to drain, and open your vents and let the hot air dry out your blower fan. If you don't, that fan will seize, and short the climate module. Both about $300.
Good news with the blower fan, I stripped down the old one, and through the access window, sprayed WD 40 as I rotated the fan axel. Holding it so the fluid and gunk could flow out the access window. Next I blasted compressed air into that port to chase out all I could. I let it dry out for some time, and when this problem nailed my current blower motor, the old one worked like a charm.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stu72:
Chris77 (09-25-2021), kj07xk (07-26-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,286 Posts
Default No Immunity!

Aarrrgghhh!
I thought maybe I was immune to this issue, or that the duckbill had been fixed by a previous owner, as my kitty had been peeing nicely, ever since I bought it.

Yesterday, while out for a drive (about an hour into the drive), top down and the A/C on, as it was a bit warm and humid day, I heard a yelp from my wife as her feet were getting a sudden shower! Dang it! Closed the vents, and cranked the fan up to the max, and we continued our trip with the A/C off (econ mode).

Looks like I'm going to be reviewing this thread with renewed interest, as the duckbill has suddenly shot upward on my todo list!

Old 07-18-2016, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

Me too, just started couple days ago. Will be tackling this in next couple days. Ugggg!!!

Old 07-26-2016, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Default Yes!

First - Thanks to DpezXK8 for pioneering this, a cheap home remedy.
Second - Thanks to S-Typer, an interesting solution, if you've got long skinny hands (which I don't, so that method was a 'fail' for me).
Thirdly - Thanks to Stu72 for a description of the tool he made.

I decided to tackle this issue last Friday night, trying S-Typer's method, but alas, my fingers were too short to diddle my kitty (I found the hole, and could get my middle finger in, up to the first knuckle only). Tried taping an xacto blade to my finger tip, but it was a futile attempt.

So I then made a handle, similar to Stu72's description, although I used an actual rivet instead of a nail, and had to pound it down with a hammer to make sure it wouldn't twist.

Due to obstacles the handle was a bit too long, so I bent the end up to make it a bit shorter.

Gave myself about a 3 inch reach upward, longer may have been too hard to maneuver into the hole.

Note the wicked curved knife blade.

Maneuvering into that hole took a lot of time, just finding the hole with the tip of the blade (horizontal) was a pain (I don't know how DpezXK8 could do that and manage a camera at the same time).

One thing that I did differently from DpezXK8's description, was that I approached this from the right hand side of the car. There is a stiff wire that runs for a short distance on the top left hand side of the transmission, and that leaves even less room for maneuvering the knife blade. Also, being right handed, approaching from the right side worked better for me (left arm on the windshield for support, head and right arm down in the engine bay, and feet in the air!).

I was able to use a slight sawing action, and hoped to cut the duck bill clean off, but after cutting, and then finding the hole with one of those 'scopes, I could see that I had cut a slit across the duck bill body, but it was still there. Tried again, but there was no change (probably followed the first cut).

Fired up the car, and then waited for some drips. There were a few drips, and then nothing! Thinking it had been a total failure, I checked the inside of the car (it was a hot and humid night, so there had to be some water somewhere), but the inside was still dry. Peeked under the car again, and there was a freakin' thunderstorm going on under there! Success!

Now like the others have said, I plan to give this another go, to try to cut that thing clean off (I'll trim the width of my metal piece down to the width of the blade, just to make sure it wasn't catching on something and preventing me from cutting up to the top of the duck bill). But I'll wait for cooler weather to do that, and it appears to be draining good right now (out driving this past weekend, in the hot humid air, and the wife's feet stayed dry).

Again, thanks to the pioneers!

The following 5 users liked this post by kj07xk:
1 of 19 (07-27-2016), 71jagman (09-07-2020), Chris77 (09-25-2021), ferraripete (08-22-2016), gts055 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-26-2016, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

To my surprise I have heard of 2010 XKs with the same problem leaking into the passenger area. Didn't Jaguar finally do a fix once they updated the engine to the 5.0? Is this a fluke or are the 2010XK+ models now experiencing this a/c duck bill problem as well?

Old 07-26-2016, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Mine's dryer than dry could be.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
To my surprise I have heard of 2010 XKs with the same problem leaking into the passenger area. Didn't Jaguar finally do a fix once they updated the engine to the 5.0? Is this a fluke or are the 2010XK+ models now experiencing this a/c duck bill problem as well?
See post #26 in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-113576/page2/

The duckbill is 'modified' on the 2010+ models, but could still get plugged.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Mine's dryer than dry could be.
Mine too. but why are others having the same a/c problem with the 2010? and newer? Just as the waterpump has haunted every owner of any XK150.... When does Jaguar decide they might repair or address an issue?. thank God my car is weekend use only, but I would never never purchase anything from Tata again Even then..I prefer an Asian car such as Lexus or Infiniti that addresses issues much faster.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Mine too. but why are others having the same a/c problem with the 2010? and newer? Just as the waterpump has haunted every owner of any XK150.... When does Jaguar decide they might repair or address an issue?. thank God my car is weekend use only, but I would never never purchase anything from Tata again Even then..I prefer an Asian car such as Lexus or Infiniti that addresses issues much faster.
Boca I hear your frustration but don't agree that there are major issues regarding the WP or the AC drain in the later cars post 2010. The problem is there is insufficient data to support your claims. As we all know this form doesn't have a large population of XK owners compared to the number of cars sold so if there are several complaints it doesn't represent a normal distribution. It would be interesting to see how many owners of XK150's are on this form and how many own 2007-2009 and 2010-2015 MY

Quick Reply: A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution