XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

When you do various searches on this issue, you learn from the collective experience of others. it pays to spend some time looking through these as you allow your blood pressure to lower in between attempts. Key also is that you can get that blade too long, where you won't be able to rotate it up into the hole. The right length is listed in these posts, as is the left hand technique to reach back and locate the hole with your inverted hand and middle finger. Best advice is read up, get the camera, and don't blindly poke around with a sharp blade in an engine compartment until you are sure you know where you are going and what you are doing.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (12-09-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Dan
Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

I never had any luck fixing this issue on my XKR. After a really horrible experience with the local Jag dealer over other issues I decided to exit the Jag world. I really liked my XKR but I decided to go a bit more old school and I picked up a '95 911 (993). Low miles, nice condition and appreciating in value.
No real comparison to the comforts of a Jag but a nice change nonetheless. I guess I'm really a Pcar person at heart.

I was going to buy a new F Type but I really, really dislike our Jag dealer here in Houston and I just couldn't stomach doing business with them any more.

Anyway it's good to see that some people have had success with fixing this issue.

Trading in the Jag

Old 12-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Received 177 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
According to the parts manual the new style duck bill was introduced at VIN B34499 which is part way through the 2010MY so there will be 5.0L cars running around with the original design.
Just wondering if the 2010 XK (MY2009) has the same location of the duck bill as previously models., I searched for about an hour and still can't find the duck billl hole...

please help! thank you

Old 01-08-2017, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Try expanding your four letter word vocabulary.

Hello again, I bought a boroscope, and I still cannot find the duck bill,
this is the closest thing I could find!? any tips??

my 2010 XK is MY2009

Old 01-08-2017, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,896 Likes on 1,286 Posts

I'll respond in this of the six threads you've posted in.
That picture is of some bolt and it's retainer.
Yes, the location is along the centerline, but you are too far back.
You said, in another thread, you were about 10" back.
If you look at my post #44 above, your target is 5-6" back.
You're looking for a hole going upward, maybe 1-1.5" in diameter.
Take a look at the tool I made and it's length, as well as the placement of the tool on the transmission (the tool is in the hole in those pictures).
Frustrating, I know, just keep trying.
Good luck!

trkyam (01-09-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 12:12 PM

To KJ's point, you went too far either back or side to side. Great Camera however. Once you take the black cover off the engine, while on the left side, using your left hand; lean into your engine. Place your left hand on the transmission housing. Now turn your palm up as if to feel up above the transmission along the fire wall. Feeling with your middle finger, you should feel an opening somewhere between the size of a quarter to fifty cent piece. You only have to go about wrist deep along the center line of the transmission, maybe an inch or two to the right. Once you find it this way, it should give you a distance perspective to find it with your camera. This yoga move was either mentioned by KJ or another but it helps.

trkyam (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Stu72
To KJ's point, you went too far either back or side to side. Great Camera however. Once you take the black cover off the engine, while on the left side, using your left hand; lean into your engine. Place your left hand on the transmission housing. Now turn your palm up as if to feel up above the transmission along the fire wall. Feeling with your middle finger, you should feel an opening somewhere between the size of a quarter to fifty cent piece. You only have to go about wrist deep along the center line of the transmission, maybe an inch or two to the right. Once you find it this way, it should give you a distance perspective to find it with your camera. This yoga move was either mentioned by KJ or another but it helps.
Thank you for the replies, and sorry for over-posting.

I am starting to believe that the 2010 5.0L XKs have a different location
for the duck bill. I've reached in there and searched for over an hour
with a high quality camera, and cannot find any opening..

Old 01-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 Jaguar XK which has the A/C issue with the water dripping on the passenger floor board, it eventually burnt out my blower motor as well now I have no ac any ideas.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:12 PM
Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Easy23:
Before replacing the blower motor, check the Blower Motor Control Module (and fix the duck bill problem).
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...orking-165562/

Old 01-30-2017, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Easy23
I have a 2007 Jaguar XK which has the A/C issue with the water dripping on the passenger floor board, it eventually burnt out my blower motor as well now I have no ac any ideas.
One of the most helpful resources outside this forum is the service manual for our XK's. Go to JagDocs.com and down load the pdf. About 1k of pages and pictures. In regard to blower motors & Modules, Easy23 is right. Water eventually gets into the blower motor causing the control module (apart & away from the blower) to burn out. I have had luck in taking out the blower motor, taking it apart, blasting the motor housing with wd40 till it drips out, then hitting it with compressed air till as dry as possible. Then best to let it sit and air out for several days. I actually am using it now (it is the original) after my replacement got wet the next year, before I fixed the problem as described bellow.
In every case, when the fan stops running, the control module is toast. About $300 for each.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

I was under my Lexus last weekend, having a cuss party with a stubborn O2 sensor, when I happened to look up, and saw this hanging over my head:

No duckbill on my Lexus!

Now why couldn't Jag have done it this way? Wouldn't have prevented a lot of problems, and wet feet.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Because Jaguar was trying a design that would discourage the free entry of foreign radicals - in this case, spiders and other undesirables. They decided that a duckbill design would be equivalent to a perimeter wall that others would pay for. Sadly, they were mistaken about the value of this idea. All they did was create further problems and it is the owner who pays.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

A good idea but poor design. There should not have been such a sturdy valve part. It could have been more like a Fart Whistle.....

Old 02-16-2017, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Because Jaguar was trying a design that would discourage the free entry of foreign radicals - in this case, spiders and other undesirables. They decided that a duckbill design would be equivalent to a perimeter wall that others would pay for. Sadly, they were mistaken about the value of this idea. All they did was create further problems and it is the owner who pays.
I got a 2010 Lexus that we bought new and so far I have never seen a spider in it.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

why doesn't someone with the issue just bore a hole from inside the air con box near the motor, you'll be fit to see the duck bill exit i'm sure, then reseal.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
why doesn't someone with the issue just bore a hole from inside the air con box near the motor, you'll be fit to see the duck bill exit i'm sure, then reseal.
Someone posted this as a fix, but I don't know which thread. He cut a portion of the heater box to access the duckie, then fixed it some way or another then reassembled the heater box, gluing it back together.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Someone posted this as a fix, but I don't know which thread. He cut a portion of the heater box to access the duckie, then fixed it some way or another then reassembled the heater box, gluing it back together.
Can't find it either, mine was fixed before i got the car, if it happens again i'm going in through the heater box, it must be able to be seen as the water backs up if blocked.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Can't find it either, mine was fixed before i got the car, if it happens again i'm going in through the heater box, it must be able to be seen as the water backs up if blocked.
Maybe you guys are thinking of this thread, where the poster added a separate drain:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ed-how-114884/

If you are thinking of cutting into the box, if may not be that simple, as there is foam in there. See post #35 of this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-135630/page2/

Cee Jay (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 03:39 PM
Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

We started experiencing this problem late last year before I put the car in storage. It is beyond my experience level to try and fix it on my own, so I will be bringing it to the dealer in the spring to get it fixed. Not looking forward to the expense. Has anyone else had the dealer work on this? What can I expect?

Old 02-17-2017, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Knomad
We started experiencing this problem late last year before I put the car in storage. It is beyond my experience level to try and fix it on my own, so I will be bringing it to the dealer in the spring to get it fixed. Not looking forward to the expense. Has anyone else had the dealer work on this? What can I expect?
What you can expect is a massive bill, for a small duck bill

Quick Reply: A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution