XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution

Old 08-04-2018, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Yeah, I was never able to feel the thing with my fingers either. I put an angled mirror on the bore scope & could plainly see it then.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have this issue now with my 2009 XKR - can someone tell me where I need to go in from the top of the engine? Or, maybe I can't access it at all in an XKR without the bore scope? Anyway, if someone could tell take a photo and maybe point to where I need to go in to look for the duck bill, I'd greatly appreciate it... I think this also killed my blower motor and/or motor control module since no air will blow, fan doesn't work and local indie shop says I need a new blower motor - but I need to fix this damn duckbill first... anybody with an XKR successfully do this from the top with the bladed tool and a camera scope and/or by hand? Thanks!

Old 09-08-2018, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

There are multiple threads regarding this issue with photos and instructions. Check out the search box upper right corner this page

Old 09-08-2018, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by ralphwg
There are multiple threads regarding this issue with photos and instructions. Check out the search box upper right corner this page
Yes, thanks for the tip, I have searched which is why I'm in this thread - most of the photos are of the XK engine except one of the XKR but no indication of whether anyone with the R was successful at cutting off the duckbill considering all the extra engine stuffs in the way - anyone? I've gathered where the spot is to get at the duckbill on my R, but now have to get it on my pal's lift to see if we can perform the same surgery from the instructions on this thread from underneath the car.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:50 AM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

Your blower motor is probably fine. The damage is more likely to the blower motor resistor as the water causes a short that blows the thermal fuse inside the resistor. You can interchange the Jaguar version (Part C2Z6538) with the Land Rover version (BMR31677) - just search Ebay Motors, they are about $15-20. Depending on your proficiency with a soldering iron, you can also repair the resistor by replacing the thermal fuse (EYP-2BN109) for about $5. The resistor is attached by two short philips screws and is in the same plastic molding that holds the blower motor. It can be accessed once you remove the felt pad under the dash on the passenger side footwell.

The following users liked this post:
digband (02-24-2019)
Old 09-08-2018, 12:03 PM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

[QUOTE=digband;1958825]I have this issue now with my 2009 XKR - can someone tell me where I need to go in from the top of the engine? Or, maybe I can't access it at all in an XKR without the bore scope? /QUOTE]

It is very difficult or impossible to access the duckbill from the engine bay on an XKR. Since you have an XKR, the easiest way to access the duckbill is by lowering the transmission and accessing the duckbill from underneath. Access is not that difficult and you will have a permanent solution by cutting off the duckbill. Bring print outs from this forum to your local independent mechanic if you don't have the skills, knowledge, or time to lower the transmission. It should cost you about $300-400 max....an infinitely better option than removing the dash. You can see my post on this thread to see what the tip of the duckbill looks like once cut off.

Good luck!

Peter

digband (09-16-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

[QUOTE=winstonsalemncxk;1959218]
Originally Posted by digband
I have this issue now with my 2009 XKR - can someone tell me where I need to go in from the top of the engine? Or, maybe I can't access it at all in an XKR without the bore scope? /QUOTE]

It is very difficult or impossible to access the duckbill from the engine bay on an XKR.
This person did it:

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=1#post1120794

Old 09-09-2018, 08:48 AM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

The choice is to remove supercharger components in the engine bay OR to lower the transmission to access the duckbill for XKR owners. Both will take some time and won't be simple. Those of you who have done one or the other, what seems easier?

Old 09-16-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by winstonsalemncxk
The choice is to remove supercharger components in the engine bay OR to lower the transmission to access the duckbill for XKR owners. Both will take some time and won't be simple. Those of you who have done one or the other, what seems easier?
I certainly would like to know this, too... from some other threads I read, a few folks said dropping the gear box was easier than the tranny.... or like you indicate there's the removal of the supercharger parts, though I haven't seen any photos or descriptions yet of what that procedure is like and how it works... will search some...

Thanks for all the continued advice and follow-ups...

Old 09-16-2018, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,147 Likes on 3,083 Posts

You's guys is all silly. Buy one of THESE and hook it up to your laparoscope setup. Cutting the duck will take about two minutes...

https://www.ebay.com/p/CE-Double-Act...osc/1548455614

No laparoscope setup? eBay has 'em!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-OTV...oAAOSwSrNaDcU6

winstonsalemncxk (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I bought one of these earlier in the year, just because it was cheap. It has variable brightness LED's on the end so you can light up your subject in dark nooks and crannies. You can also take pictures or videos on your phone with the app that comes with it.

If you wrapped the lead around a bit of wire to make it stiffer it would probably help you to do the job.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KERU...2853385786.htm

Stuart S (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:48 AM
Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi everyone,

I managed to reach the duck bill on my 2009 XKR with my fingers by removing the right hand air intake pipe and the aluminium "T-Piece" on top of the throttle body. Sure enough, the opening was quite firmly stuck together and felt really gummed up. Once I reached it I sprayed my palm and middle finger liberally with plenty of silicone spray and kept flicking and manipulating it. After a few attempts I could feel the duck bill open and kept going until it felt really smooth and clean.

Only takes me a few minutes to remove the intake pipe and t-piece so I repeat every 12 months and not had another problem. Checked it a few weeks ago and the duck bill was still open and felt clean.

Cheers
Andy

The following 4 users liked this post by GR8BR1T:
guy (02-25-2019), Stuart S (09-17-2018), u102768 (09-18-2018), winstonsalemncxk (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,131 Likes on 3,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
You's guys is all silly. Buy one of THESE and hook it up to your laparoscope setup. Cutting the duck will take about two minutes...

https://www.ebay.com/p/CE-Double-Act...osc/1548455614

No laparoscope setup? eBay has 'em!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-OTV...oAAOSwSrNaDcU6
I'd rather borrow yours. At that price, it's cheaper to pay the dealer ... twice! And still have some money left.

Cee Jay (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,131 Likes on 3,378 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
I bought one of these earlier in the year, just because it was cheap. It has variable brightness LED's on the end so you can light up your subject in dark nooks and crannies. You can also take pictures or videos on your phone with the app that comes with it.

If you wrapped the lead around a bit of wire to make it stiffer it would probably help you to do the job.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KERU...2853385786.htm
I just ordered one, even though my duckbill is still OK. It's cheap enough to add to my toolbox even though it may be a while before I have a need to use it. Thanks again for the tip!

Old 01-01-2019, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by GR8BR1T
Hi everyone,

I managed to reach the duck bill on my 2009 XKR with my fingers by removing the right hand air intake pipe and the aluminium "T-Piece" on top of the throttle body. Sure enough, the opening was quite firmly stuck together and felt really gummed up. Once I reached it I sprayed my palm and middle finger liberally with plenty of silicone spray and kept flicking and manipulating it. After a few attempts I could feel the duck bill open and kept going until it felt really smooth and clean.

Only takes me a few minutes to remove the intake pipe and t-piece so I repeat every 12 months and not had another problem. Checked it a few weeks ago and the duck bill was still open and felt clean.

Cheers
Andy
I'm really glad to hear this - can you perhaps take some photos and post them to help me identify and remove "the right hand air intake pipe and the aluminium "T-Piece" on top of the throttle body."? (any additional instruction/tips for removing these if it's not straightforward, and exactly where to reach in to access the duckbill would be helpful/appreciated, too!). My XKR is in storage until March but this will be top priority for me as soon as it's out as I just started experiencing the passenger water problem prior to Fall storage, which also resulted in blower motor issues. Just curious, why did you choose not to cut the duckbill off if you are able to reach it by hand? Thanks!

Old 02-24-2019, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by GR8BR1T
Hi everyone,

Cheers
Andy
Hi GR8BR1T - as Spring approaches, I am looking forward to addressing my duckbill issue and fixing my blower motor that bit it from a duckbill water backup. I had asked late year year about any help you could provide me in identifying the "right hand air intake pipe and the aluminium "T-Piece" on top of the throttle body" and perhaps provide some info on what it looks like after you do that and how it provides access/instructions on getting to the duckbill. You are the only one so far that I've heard of being able to do this on an XKR without major work dropping tranny etc. Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated (if anyone else can help me identify the right hand air intake pipe and the aluminium "T-Piece" on top of the throttle body, please do - I have a friend who does work on all his exotic cars who is going to help me with this). Thanks in advance for replies, and happy new year.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:36 AM
Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi digband,

Sorry, I was not ignoring you promise! I was away on quite a long trip in Europe and did not pick up any personal messages for a while. I just got back, so give me a couple of days and I will post some pics. My method is not very complicated or difficult provided you do not have hands and forearms like the Incredible Hulk in which case you are not going to reach the duck bill. I'm lucky in that I reasonably skinny arms and hands.

Cheers
Andy

Old 02-26-2019, 08:30 PM

Thanks a lot for getting back with me and I hope you enjoyed your holiday. I'd like to think that I'm relatively fit but let me just say, I'm far from a hulk (thought I'm pretty sure I've fooled my kids into believing it), so rippling brawny arms shouldn't hinder me from getting the job done. I was planning to buy a borescope to assist with the job just in case (at $35 on amazon it's a fun tool to have even if I don't need it for this job). Anyway, I have a month at least before she comes out of winter hibernation, so no major hurry, but very much looking forward to learning about the process. I feel like a kid counting the days until x-mas when I get back behind the wheel! Cheers.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Even with the gearbox box realeased I still couldn't manage to reach the duckbill so annoying - my solution for the past 2 months has been a fresh towel placed in the passenger footwell daily how embarassing

Old 02-27-2019, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,147 Likes on 3,083 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Even with the gearbox box realeased I still couldn't manage to reach the duckbill so annoying - my solution for the past 2 months has been a fresh towel placed in the passenger footwell daily how embarassing
Maybe it's time to pull back some carpet and cut an access hole in the air box and get at it from the inside???
I can't remember if it's in this thread or not, but I recall someone doing it that way. After the clog was cleared the plastic 'door' was glued back and metal tape sealed all the edges. Can't see anything wrong with the carpet back in place.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution