XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Call me crazy... flood XKR...Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 10:28 AM
Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Samets
Looks like a fun long term project. Would have been a great COVID stay at home project to keep the sanity going.

Sunscribing and sending good vibes so one day that beast will see the road again.
Thanks, I'm looking at a 2011 donor now at a slavage yard but don't know as of yet what they will ask. When and if I get a donor then things should speed up quite readily! So here's to fingers crossed and that beautiful car seeing the road again!🍻

Old 03-02-2023, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,239 Likes on 3,420 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFaster
Thanks, I'm looking at a 2011 donor now at a slavage yard but don't know as of yet what they will ask. When and if I get a donor then things should speed up quite readily! So here's to fingers crossed and that beautiful car seeing the road again!🍻
Are you certain that the salvage donor car isn't flood damaged?

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (03-08-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Are you certain that the salvage donor car isn't flood damaged?
yes it's been damaged but runs and drives. So far I've learned a lot but mostly if you are going to do a flood Jag, have a donor available. Even a low flood (6 inches up on door) could be a bear. But i think it is still going to work out once i get a donor.

Old 03-02-2023, 06:42 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 754 Posts

perhaps an opportunity to build a “flood resistant” car?? I use liquid electrical tape everywhere in the engine compartment so that I may pressure wash it, without worry.
Imagine the damage improvement I could do if the car was stripped to the bones…

Old 03-02-2023, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by guy
perhaps an opportunity to build a “flood resistant” car?? I use liquid electrical tape everywhere in the engine compartment so that I may pressure wash it, without worry.
Imagine the damage improvement I could do if the car was stripped to the bones…
It really has been a learning adventure. Im not begrudging it at all. Im actually impressed eith the build quality. I may not say the same this time nect year...but for now it going almost as planned

Old 04-13-2023, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,211 Likes on 2,363 Posts

@GoFaster how about an update for us?

Old 04-13-2023, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
@GoFaster how about an update for us?
Well.... sad to say not much update. Still trying to grab a donor car. So I have to work harder and save more to get a better shot at it I guess. Been outbid a few times lol. SIDE NOTE: I broke an axle on my XFR at the drags...but I got.that fixed along with some urethane bushings...and filled the cradle bushings with urethane.....so I got that going for me lol. Im working off currently ....XKR progress has slowed but I'm still adamant about getting her going!

The following 2 users liked this post by GoFaster:
McJag222 (04-13-2023), Sean W (04-13-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 08:41 AM
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a wild ride, hoping you're able to pull it off! One thing I didn't see anyone mention here (maybe I missed it) but in addition to the engine and trans fluids, don't forget to take care of the diff fluid. Water can work its way past the seals if it is submerged for long periods of time. Land Rover actually recommends that you change your diff fluid more frequently if you're doing a lot of water crossings.

Old 04-14-2023, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by 04xtypeguy
This is a wild ride, hoping you're able to pull it off! One thing I didn't see anyone mention here (maybe I missed it) but in addition to the engine and trans fluids, don't forget to take care of the diff fluid. Water can work its way past the seals if it is submerged for long periods of time. Land Rover actually recommends that you change your diff fluid more frequently if you're doing a lot of water crossings.
Yes I keep some of the diff fluid around. I keep.it pretty fresh I'm my XFR since I like to race it. NOTE: that fluid is normally cheaper through LandRover here. Still no bargain though lol

04xtypeguy (04-17-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,327 Likes on 1,463 Posts

. Land Rover actually recommends that you change your diff fluid more frequently if you're doing a lot of water crossings.

Land Rover diffs are vented, not sealed hence the concern for fluid changes.

GoFaster (04-14-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Land Rover diffs are vented, not sealed hence the concern for fluid changes.
True but the vents are on up high by engine so if the vents are sucking in water, you have bigger things to worry about. If a diff sits submerged for any extended period of time or you do a lot of ford crossings (like in rural areas in the UK) water can work it's way into the diff housing via the seals. It's not something a lot of people think about when it comes to cars and standing water.

Last edited by 04xtypeguy; 04-17-2023 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,327 Likes on 1,463 Posts

True but the vents are on up high by engine so if the vents are sucking in water, you have bigger things to worry about. If a diff sits submerged for any period of time or you do a lot of ford crossings (like in rural areas in the UK) water works it's way into the diff housing via the seals. It's not something a lot of people think about when it comes to cars and standing water.
RIght but still vented which means moisture can enter the diff and affect the fluid hence Land Rovers service interval. The Jag diffs are sealed. Regardless service intervals are important.

Old 04-17-2023, 03:04 PM

Yes I keep some of the diff fluid around. I keep.it pretty fresh I'm my XFR since I like to race it. NOTE: that fluid is normally cheaper through LandRover here. Still no bargain though lol
I'm a big fan of Rimmerbro's, their prices tend to be much cheaper than the dealerships even with shipping.

https://rimmerbros.com/ItemList--Tra...Fluid--m-15804

Old 04-17-2023, 04:40 PM
Received 194 Likes on 139 Posts

GoFaster, you're brave. I don't mind mechanical but salt water soaked cars are a different challenge. If anyone is inspired by this article and wants to "jump into the pool", there's an 28k mi XKR on Bring A Trailer that's obviously been submerged in salt water. The car looks great but the heavily rusted and encrusted undercarriage is a clue. Pan has many scrapes. Almost like it was dragged over something. Leaves somehow stuck to the digital display panel. It's up to 7,500. Be interesting to see what it sells for.

Old 04-20-2023, 11:08 AM
Received 194 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm sure many here visit BaT. The "sea special" 08 XKR was bid to 19k yesterday. Seller (car dealer) said reserve wasn't met. Looked great from the outside but undercarriage pictures showed extensive rust. One big clue was the digital display panel w/ leaves somehow attached or inside. Only visible info was the odometer (partially). Seller said that "many Jags come thru our shop w/ similar display problems". Yeah right.

Old 04-21-2023, 11:38 AM
Received 292 Likes on 166 Posts

GoFaster,
Hope that you are aware that your FSJB and RSJB are specific to 2012 and up. Difference that I am aware: FSJB specific to headlights, RSJB back-up camera.
The salt water will attack unprotected aluminum such as bumpers. A nice 2012+ crash vehicle woul be a good move,
However, I would recommend that you restore the crash vehicle using the flood vehicle as your "parts" car. Much, much easier.
As a bonus, you could consider a convertible as your project car!

Old 05-24-2023, 09:23 PM

UPDATE:
During my search for a donor car (which can get expensive quickly) I ran across a 59k mile XKR with a seized engine. So my project car with 22k miles just became a donor car! Maybe as time goes on I can find a wrecked car and bring back another XKR with parts from the donor car.

The following 5 users liked this post by GoFaster:
Cee Jay (05-25-2023), kj07xk (05-24-2023), McJag222 (05-25-2023), ralphwg (05-27-2023), Stuart S (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 08:27 AM
Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

Go Faster,

thats a nice XKR. Body appears to be flawless, and IIRC, Liquid Silver. Hope things progress smoothly, now that you have a proper diner car.

John

Old 05-25-2023, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by SDCR_XK
Go Faster,

thats a nice XKR. Body appears to be flawless, and IIRC, Liquid Silver. Hope things progress smoothly, now that you have a proper diner car.

John
Thank you, it is very nice. Definately worth putting an engine in it!

Old 05-25-2023, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 682 Likes on 337 Posts

UPDATE:
During my search for a donor car (which can get expensive quickly) I ran across a 59k mile XKR with a seized engine. So my project car with 22k miles just became a donor car! Maybe as time goes on I can find a wrecked car and bring back another XKR with parts from the donor car.

now you can end up with a 'non corroded' xkr to enjoy. Good luck.
wj

Quick Reply: Call me crazy... flood XKR...Is it possible?