XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Call me crazy... flood XKR...Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 08:49 PM
Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Call me crazy... flood XKR...Is it possible?

Disclaimer: yeah..I know...not the genius move of the 20's... no need to name call (example: dummy..idiot...lost my mind)

I Bought a very low mileage 1 owner XKR...a very beautiful, dentless, white with red carbon fiber dash/shifter/door/infotainment center facia...flood vehicle...like to the door handles...ish. even still had the cardboard tag on the passenger seat headrest stating how to care for your new Jag.

But the question at hand....can it be fixed? I have it almost stripped. Engine showed no water ingress and ecu and fuse box in engine bay are good. I haven't gotten it on the lift to check the trans or rear end yet (but I have a low mileage rear if needed).

I have so many control modules new or used (shifterand infotainment center as well, instrument panel appears to have been untouched) that i dont care to list them all as I will replace any that are needed, this along with another used central harness (same part number) and will add additional harnesses if needed. If it is only a pin or two I will repin the connector. I have the remaining 2 fuse boxes used to go in it.
I have SDD and a actual mongoose cable, but have not used it much.

Now gurus and techs.....speakers of the dark language of british electronics.... can it be saved by someone like me? Or am I looking at Bilsteins and an LS swap?

I would consider a standalone ecm and trans control for the factory 5.0S/C and make it a "street-strip" version with BS delete if possible.... (because 700hp on a stripped down version would jet!)

So anyone with ideas.....I'm all ears
Thanks...and yes I know there are simpler things in the world than Jaguar electronics...😬

Old 01-19-2023, 09:32 PM
Received 149 Likes on 59 Posts

Following ... I have no knowledge of flood vehicles but this sounds interesting.

At the risk of asking a *really* dumb question, have you tried just turning it on?

Old 01-19-2023, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,167 Likes on 3,393 Posts

An LS swap has never been done on an X150. But there's always a first.

VERY IMPORTANT - SEE POST #5
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...talled-147393/

WhiteXKR is Steve, the Jag Wrangler. He's the inventor of the Remote Control Convertible Top module, the feature that the factory forgot. He's the Forum's electrical guru.

See the Stickies at the top of this Forum for the Workshop Manuals and Electrical Guides. You'll need them.

I suggest that you start a new thread documenting your progress in this project.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (01-20-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 10:38 PM
Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFaster
Disclaimer: yeah..I know...not the genius move of the 20's... no need to name call (example: dummy..idiot...lost my mind)

I Bought a very low mileage 1 owner XKR...a very beautiful, dentless, white with red carbon fiber dash/shifter/door/infotainment center facia...flood vehicle...like to the door handles...ish. even still had the cardboard tag on the passenger seat headrest stating how to care for your new Jag.

But the question at hand....can it be fixed? I have it almost stripped. Engine showed no water ingress and ecu and fuse box in engine bay are good. I haven't gotten it on the lift to check the trans or rear end yet (but I have a low mileage rear if needed).

I have so many control modules new or used (shifterand infotainment center as well, instrument panel appears to have been untouched) that i dont care to list them all as I will replace any that are needed, this along with another used central harness (same part number) and will add additional harnesses if needed. If it is only a pin or two I will repin the connector. I have the remaining 2 fuse boxes used to go in it.
I have SDD and a actual mongoose cable, but have not used it much.

Now gurus and techs.....speakers of the dark language of british electronics.... can it be saved by someone like me? Or am I looking at Bilsteins and an LS swap?

I would consider a standalone ecm and trans control for the factory 5.0S/C and make it a "street-strip" version with BS delete if possible.... (because 700hp on a stripped down version would jet!)

So anyone with ideas.....I'm all ears
Thanks...and yes I know there are simpler things in the world than Jaguar electronics...😬
I think the protocol for situations like this is to put it in rice for a week and then fire her up.

Seriously, you are way beyond my ability level with your comments. My guess is that you are the right owner for the job. But...if water was at door handles, does that mean it went inside and if so, what is the mold situation like? As to water infiltration elsewhere, I am guessing you already drained all systems and replaced the fluids.

I'd love to hear how it all ends up. Best of luck to you.

The following 3 users liked this post by Speedmaster:
Brewtech (01-20-2023), GoFaster (01-21-2023), MCX (01-30-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 10:52 PM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

A member on the x100 forum was rescuing a flood damaged xkr, and as I recall, it started promising before turning into a cautionary tale. A flood rescue would be off my list due to the baffling electronic gremlins that are bound to show up.

GoFaster (01-21-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 01:32 AM
Received 53 Likes on 18 Posts

I took on a flood damaged 2018 Mini last year and it was a pretty simple fix. Once the interior is out check all the module connections for corrosion and get some power on it and start fault finding. If it's not been turned over with the engine underwater all should be fine. Expect seat modules, airbag modules and anything that lives in the floor to be scrap but if the fuse boxes are dry you should be fine, obviously all fluids need to be changed and I flushed the engine twice. I enjoyed doing the Mini though it had to go to a main dealer to get some of the modules recoded after replacement which was a bit expensive.

mosesbotbol (01-21-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 03:33 AM
Received 362 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by mhminnich
A member on the x100 forum was rescuing a flood damaged xkr, and as I recall, it started promising before turning into a cautionary tale. A flood rescue would be off my list due to the baffling electronic gremlins that are bound to show up.
I once had an hi-fi amp that got tap water spilled in the top which blew the power transistors because it was still wet when I turned it on. Once it had dried out, I took it to an excellent electronics repairer who said they could replace the power transistors but their belief was that even though it might well work initially, over the following weeks or months one component after another would fail and it would be impossible to keep track of which component was failing each time.
I asked them to go ahead with the transistors replacement and confirmed that there was no warranty implied. After the new transistors were fitted, the amp worked fine for a few weeks and then started to distort and then died again. I scrapped it and bought a new amp.

Richard

guy (01-21-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 05:03 AM
Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

I say flush the engine and trans as good as you can and replace all fluids.Like Stuart posted about the electronics,try to dry them all out no matter how dry it looks cause water could be inside of those where you can't see it.Once you do these things very thoroughly,you should have you a brand new Jag.

Old 01-20-2023, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 657 Likes on 320 Posts

Crazy? Yes!
I concur that the electronics will begin their decent, at a much accelerated pace.
Swallow Racing has a fellow that (3 years ago) had a working standalone that could/ or should talk to any/all modules and per MIT installation of any engine and gearbox.
I would contact them, contact the GM engine swap guy and be the first (but certainly not the last) person to swap in a LS3 with 500~700 hp. That would be a nice little project.
WJ

Old 01-20-2023, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,040 Likes on 836 Posts

if you are asking the peanut gallery forum maybe not such a good idea

if you can read and know how to diag a car it’s all doable

GoFaster (01-21-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,179 Likes on 3,103 Posts

You didn't state.... FRESH water flood or SALT water flood?
If Fresh Water, you have a chance. If it was salt water, unload the thing fast.
As for an LS swap, you don't have a chance in hell unless you just want basically a body shell that moves.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
CA Jag (04-17-2023), guy (01-21-2023), jahummer (01-21-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
An LS swap has never been done on an X150. But there's always a first.

VERY IMPORTANT - SEE POST #5
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...talled-147393/

WhiteXKR is Steve, the Jag Wrangler. He's the inventor of the Remote Control Convertible Top module, the feature that the factory forgot. He's the Forum's electrical guru.

See the Stickies at the top of this Forum for the Workshop Manuals and Electrical Guides. You'll need them.

I suggest that you start a new thread documenting your progress in this project.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the reply. I have the electric manuals downloaded and have been deep in them. I havent applied any power to it, I knew that would be fruitless.... so I started disassembly. Once I get a little further along then I will create a thread detailing my adventure.... and everyone can ride along (or push lol)

The following 2 users liked this post by GoFaster:
ralphwg (01-20-2023), Stuart S (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 10:20 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 928 Likes on 607 Posts

Yup, you called it--you lost your mind. The cars not worth repairing. Without pictures most people on this forum may be non believers.

The following 3 users liked this post by DGL:
arenaej (01-20-2023), GoFaster (01-21-2023), guy (01-21-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 07:45 PM
Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts

dont know if this helps... this was just posted today...2014 xk

Old 01-20-2023, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,179 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Well, there ya go... easy to swap engines. BUT, those guys had water INGESTION, and not flood. Now a flood AND ingestion would indeed be a bugger.

Old 01-21-2023, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by DGL
Yup, you called it--you lost your mind. The cars not worth repairing. Without pictures most people on this forum may be non believers.
Lol, yeah it's an adventure for sure... I wouldnt mind the swap, but it takes so little to get around 700-ish out of these jag engines. If i bought a S/C LS engine they are pricey...and then i have to start adding parts. So I'd prefer to put her back in running shape. Luckily no ingestion for this engine.

Old 01-21-2023, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by GoFaster
Lol, yeah it's an adventure for sure... I wouldnt mind the swap, but it takes so little to get around 700-ish out of these jag engines. If i bought a S/C LS engine they are pricey...and then i have to start adding parts. So I'd prefer to put her back in running shape. Luckily no ingestion for this engine.
Freshwater in the paperwork. Florida is supposed to have destruction titles for all saltwater. And thats where it originated. Yeah if I LS it then it would be a shell.and anything else custom. Windows and door locks not an issue
. Think heat and air could be done but not with automatic settings. Infotainment gone and replaced.with Android stuff if I decide to and of course suspension would be all manual. Getting a rear-end and making it fit...that's a trick.

Old 01-21-2023, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

Turn into a full on track car.

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
GoFaster (01-21-2023), jahummer (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by DGL

OK tried to add several at once.... but it doesn't like it so I'll add them installments lol

The subject!

Pretty Car!

Old 01-21-2023, 09:41 AM

Nice red carbon fiber

Got this cleaned up in a later shot

Quick Reply: Call me crazy... flood XKR...Is it possible?