XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XK Flooded in Rain - Is it Totalled?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XK Flooded in Rain - Is it Totalled?

2009 XK Convertible Oh my gosh. Raining for a month. I was driving up incline road to higher ground Saturday and all this water rushed down. My car stalled. Water was about a foot high, like a river. I did (cringe) try to start it again once (I know I know, bad) Water receded after 30 minutes. AAA took 4 hours to get there and by that time NO electric, car dead. Towed to dealer. On Monday will find out the bad news. Just curious what thoughts are on this. Anyone else have experience?
I can't believe it. I always turn around at flooded streets. This one just came at me.

Last edited by CClifton; 08-03-2015 at 08:31 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-02-2015, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by CClifton
Oh my gosh. Raining for a month. I was driving up incline road to higher ground Saturday and all this water rushed down. My car stalled. Water was about a foot high, like a river. I did (cringe) try to start it again once (I know I know, bad) Water receded after 30 minutes. AAA took 4 hours to get there and by that time NO electric, car dead. Towed to dealer. On Monday will find out the bad news. Just curious what thoughts are on this. Anyone else have experience?
I can't believe it. I always turn around at flooded streets. This one just came at me.
It all depend on how flooded the car got. A food deep water doesn't mean it is dead but then again did you suck water into the intake system. To loose all power means you have a short caused by the water. You'll have to wait until the dealer looks at it. Sorry and good luck

Old 08-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Oh my gosh. Raining for a month. I was driving up incline road to higher ground Saturday and all this water rushed down. My car stalled. Water was about a foot high, like a river. I did (cringe) try to start it again once (I know I know, bad) Water receded after 30 minutes. AAA took 4 hours to get there and by that time NO electric, car dead. Towed to dealer. On Monday will find out the bad news. Just curious what thoughts are on this. Anyone else have experience?
Hi,
It's always more helpful to post your year, either in a signature or part of question. Just saying...

Old 08-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Hi,
It's always more helpful to post your year, either in a signature or part of question. Just saying...
Agreed tough to assess if its totaled without knowing the cars value.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

One common mistake is to try to repower the car when there still may be water inside electronic modules...this often causes more damage because the water provided a path for short circuits.

Before powering up the car it should be thoroughly dried. Especially any electronic modules and fuseboxes exposed to water need to be opened up, thoroughly dried and inspected for corrosion. Only then should an attempt be made to reconnect the battery and start the car and assess for permanent damage.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
CClifton (08-03-2015), mosesbotbol (12-04-2019)
Old 08-03-2015, 08:33 AM

I think I did suck water in. It stalled and I did try to start again. I don't know why.. ugh. No word from dealer yet. It still raining here. We are going to go underwater.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:33 AM

Old 08-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Unless you sucked in enough water to hydro-lock a cylinder the engine will be fine. Water is not compressible, but you have to get quite a bit in there (at least 10% or so of cylinder volume) before it matters, and I don't think a starter motor has enough torque to bend a connecting rod anyway. In other words locking a cylinder full of water is an issue when the car is running, not so much during an attempted start.

Might have to pull the plugs to get the water out though.

I would be more concerned with drying the interior if any water got into the cabin, including any modules that were submerged.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (12-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 PM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Assuming only a foot of water, I don't think the intake ingested water because the intake opening is much higher than one foot. In fact, it is sort of an upright snorkel from the air filter box with intake almost as high as the top of the radiator.

Were this my car I would disconnect the battery open the hood, remove engine cover and any fuse box cover I could find. Then I would put a large fan blowing downwards for a couple of days.

Then after everything I could reach seems dry, I would reconnect the battery and test every circuit like lights, brake lights, audio, windows, top mechanism. Finally, if everything worked so far I would address the motor. It never hurts to check spark plugs for water.

You didn't say whether or not your interior carpeting is wet. It can be dried. I like to take the seats out, and completely remove the carpet - it is a molded one-piece carpet (each side). It is easier dried when removed.

CClifton (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Tad late on this, as the dealership will give you your current status soon, but one certain trick for any time electronics get saturated with water is not to just dry it off, but first rinse it with distilled water to wash away contaminants (power removed, obviously). Then proceed to dry it out. This prevents possible problems with mineral deposits bridging delicate circuitry.

2 cents,
Vince

The following 2 users liked this post by CleverName:
CClifton (08-03-2015), Queen and Country (12-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2015, 10:46 PM

Ok, so I got the bad news. Yes, the dealer says it is locked up. Lot of water and "engine pieces came out". I am not quite sure what that means but he said I need a new engine. No, no water got inside the car at all. The car was running but brake on with the water flowing at me so maybe that was enough to get inside the intake.
Question: If insurance company pays to replace engine, I hear it will be used parts. Does that significantly lower the value of my 2009 XK 42,000 miles? Is it a "flood" vehicle on the VIN # even if it got no water inside?
Ugh. Maybe I should try for a payoff? 2009 year won't get me enough to replace my favorite car. Never had issues. Dash had been replaced free, new convertible top.. AArgh.

Last edited by CClifton; 08-03-2015 at 10:52 PM. Reason: specifics
Old 08-03-2015, 10:51 PM

I will have to look. How high is it? It got water in it though for sure. Maybe some of the wave when an suv passed me too.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,153 Likes on 3,086 Posts

Depending on your insurance, you could always try for "Diminished Value" on your settlement. Wouldn't hurt to ask about it anyway.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Ok, so I got the bad news. Yes, the dealer says it is locked up. Lot of water and "engine pieces came out". I am not quite sure what that means but he said I need a new engine. No, no water got inside the car at all. The car was running but brake on with the water flowing at me so maybe that was enough to get inside the intake.
Question: If insurance company pays to replace engine, I hear it will be used parts. Does that significantly lower the value of my 2009 XK 42,000 miles? Is it a "flood" vehicle on the VIN # even if it got no water inside?
Ugh. Maybe I should try for a payoff? 2009 year won't get me enough to replace my favorite car. Never had issues. Dash had been replaced free, new convertible top.. AArgh.
I would ask for a more definitive explanation of the damage. I find it hard to believe that water would be sucked up unless the front of the car was under water. I would believe the air cleaner was flooded and that would cut off air to the engine and make it stall. I would also believe you shorted out some electrical components too. As for engine pieces coming out , what were they. Are the pistons flooded . If the insurance company totals the car it will get a salvage title and be considered a "flood damaged"car. If it is cheaper to replace the engine and electronic components then get it done but make sure a reputable person does it. Ask more questions and as always "trust but verify".

Old 08-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

CClifton:

I would think, even if your insurance company covers the damage, the vehicle status and damage will be reported, thus the future value of the vehicle will be lessened dramatically. I would go for a total loss, collect the funds from the insurance and search for another vehicle.

I think it might be almost impossible for the dealer to detect 100% of the water damages for repair. I would tend to believe there may be other water related issues that could surface after the initial repairs.

I personally would not want a vehicle that sustained significant water damage due to flooding.

I suggest you work hard for the insurance company to total the car, take any losses from what you paid and what the insurance gives you and move on. There are a ton of nice vehicles on the market to purchase whether a Jaguar or other premium brand.

Your a victim of "mother nature" and this kind $hit happens. It's part of life in general. Your OK personally with no damage to you, so it's only a car. It's a story you can tell the grandkids down the road.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm thinking hopefully they total, buy back and toss in a Motec and turn her into a street beast

Old 08-04-2015, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I purchased my 2010 XKR last year precisely because it had to have a new engine installed, and the previous owner's after market warranty paid for my mechanic to purchase and install it. I do have the original engine as well, but I keep my cars forever, so I wasn't concerned about matching numbers. If you can get a new engine out of it, you'll also get a new warranty on the engine as well as no mechanical headaches for a long time. Look at it as an opportunity.

badicedog (12-04-2019)
Old 03-09-2017, 04:56 PM

The warranty turned out to be 90 days - from the salvage yard. I had no idea it was going to be so short. Now I have leaking gaskets and it will cost a lot Aaargh!

Old 12-03-2019, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Wondering how all this turned out???

Old 12-03-2019, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Wondering how all this turned out???
We know he got the engine swapped:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4/#post1635655

Don't know how trouble free he's been with it tho.

JayJagJay (12-03-2019)

Quick Reply: XK Flooded in Rain - Is it Totalled?