XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Can't Find Satellite Radio Rear Harness

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 01:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't Find Satellite Radio Rear Harness

Hi All,
The Satellite Radio on my 07 XK convertible is not working. the mechanic said it was a rear wiring harness. Part #C2P15493. They wanted over $900 to order those wires from Britian. That seemed ridiculous for a small wire. When googling around I could only find 2 stores that even had the part listed as a thing that's for sale and both wanted over $700. Can anybody tell me any more about this harness? My mechanic pointed it out and it looks like the one that goes into the trunk lid through the hinge. Its not showing up on any schematics of the car, or any of the many Jaguar parts dealers. Is there another part number for it that's more common? Why does this seem to be the one part of the car that doesn't exist? Is it interchangeable with other models/years? I bought a used one off a 07 XKR Coupe but my mechanic said it didn't have the right plugs...something about needing one with a coax cable?

This is the diagnostic i got from the mechanic...

Diagnose- XM Radio is missing antenna signal
Test for proper power & ground to SDARS Module. Signals are
present. Test for continuity between head unit & SDARS trunk
harness. Continuity is present & proper. Test for continuity between
SDARS trunk harness & SDARS antenna. Continuity is missing on
one link. Trunk right side 3 connectors to trunk lid.

any advice on where to get a working one?

Thanks

Old 10-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I can make this cable for you if you get stuck.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

The $450 you charge is beyond fair.
Hopefully your prices havent increased.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
I can make this cable for you if you get stuck.
How much? And is is just plug and play? or does it require some sort of programming?

Old 10-23-2017, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
The $450 you charge is beyond fair.
Hopefully your prices havent increased.
What are you talking about?

A replacement antenna cable for Sirius in an XK would be $25 plus postage...

Old 10-24-2017, 12:19 AM

What differentiates this part number from the other years and the coupes? Why are they not all compatible?

Do you know how this specific one is supposed to be?

Old 10-24-2017, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

What are you talking about?

A replacement antenna cable for Sirius in an XK would be $25 plus postage...
How much is postage $425?
OP said the best he could find was $700

Old 10-24-2017, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
How much is postage $425?
OP said the best he could find was $700
For an oem one from jaguar britain.....

Old 10-24-2017, 06:15 AM

This is the coaxial cable for the SDARS/Sirius antenna.

Can't Find Satellite Radio Rear Harness-sdars-xk-early.jpg

It's a single coaxial cable with Fakra connectors at each end, but it's bundled into the wiring harness which goes up through the roof, through the flexible rubber boot conduit to the hatch, and then along to the SDARS dome antenna in the hatch. You cannot buy just that antenna cable from Jaguar, you've got to buy the complete harness which it's a part of, hence the sky-high price.

If you check the diagram carefully you can see it's in two sections, the first section is 1665mm long, the 2nd is 637mm long, so there is a connector in the hatch as well.

The problem is feeding a replacement coaxial cable through the bloody rubber boot flexible conduit that goes between the roof and the hatch. I spent at least an hour pulling one cable through it when i did the reverse camera installation, was a real nightmare. Was basically impossible to feed a cable through that had a connector plug on it, in the end I cut the plug off and then once I pulled the plain cable through, I soldered and crimped a new plug on.

The Fakra connectors are not particularly strong, as they are crimped, the forces on it while trying to pull it through that rubber conduit would no doubt pull the crimped connector straight off the cable...

The crimped parts look like this;

Can't Find Satellite Radio Rear Harness-crimped-fakra-terminal.jpg

The finished cables like this;

Can't Find Satellite Radio Rear Harness-f-type-dab-antenna-cable-2.jpg

The connectors come in different colours, they are keyed that they only fit in their mating version, or there are universal ones too, singles or doubles, etc..

That's pretty what you need to make a "repair", replacing the damaged one that's in the harness, just run it along side.

Most likely it's broken in the section that moves when you open & close the hatch. Or perhaps it's been crushed at some stage...

I can make you a replacement antenna cable, we use the same sort of cables in the Digital Radio and TV retrofits we do.

But it will be quite a job to pull it through without damaging the crimped terminal on it...

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
midgetjoe (10-24-2017), Queen and Country (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 12:36 PM

Oh awesome thats super helpful. I was going to have the mechanic do it but i would assume they'd have the same issues threading it? Whats the part number for the whole harness? Was that the #C2P15493 or is it something else. I cant seem to find #C2P15493 anywhere.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:50 AM

This is the coaxial cable for the SDARS/Sirius antenna.

Attachment 204717

It's a single coaxial cable with Fakra connectors at each end, but it's bundled into the wiring harness which goes up through the roof, through the flexible rubber boot conduit to the hatch, and then along to the SDARS dome antenna in the hatch. You cannot buy just that antenna cable from Jaguar, you've got to buy the complete harness which it's a part of, hence the sky-high price.

If you check the diagram carefully you can see it's in two sections, the first section is 1665mm long, the 2nd is 637mm long, so there is a connector in the hatch as well.

The problem is feeding a replacement coaxial cable through the bloody rubber boot flexible conduit that goes between the roof and the hatch. I spent at least an hour pulling one cable through it when i did the reverse camera installation, was a real nightmare. Was basically impossible to feed a cable through that had a connector plug on it, in the end I cut the plug off and then once I pulled the plain cable through, I soldered and crimped a new plug on.

The Fakra connectors are not particularly strong, as they are crimped, the forces on it while trying to pull it through that rubber conduit would no doubt pull the crimped connector straight off the cable...

The crimped parts look like this;

Attachment 204718

The finished cables like this;

Attachment 204720

The connectors come in different colours, they are keyed that they only fit in their mating version, or there are universal ones too, singles or doubles, etc..

That's pretty what you need to make a "repair", replacing the damaged one that's in the harness, just run it along side.

Most likely it's broken in the section that moves when you open & close the hatch. Or perhaps it's been crushed at some stage...

I can make you a replacement antenna cable, we use the same sort of cables in the Digital Radio and TV retrofits we do.

But it will be quite a job to pull it through without damaging the crimped terminal on it...

How do i go ahead and order this from you?

Also how easy is it to recrimp it if it comes off while trying to feed it through? do i need special equipment?

Going by my mechanics description above...does it look like its both sections of cable that have the issue? or just one or the other?

and finally do you know of somewhere that has the step by step of accessing the parts of the cable i will need to to plug a new one in?

thanks a ton for all your help

Old 10-26-2017, 02:38 AM

Send me a PM with your contact details and we can work it out.

The crimped ends are a 1-time only deal, can't be re-crimped if they are pulled off. I had to get a specially made crimping tool in order to put them together.

It's impossible for me to guess where it's broken, maybe in the section where it moves as you lift the hatch up & down, this was a problem in the XF, I haven't heard of it happening in the XK though.

The cable runs from the SDARS module, which sits above the Nav DVD unit in the boot space, then up to the roof cavity, through the rubber boot conduit, down the edge of the hatch, and then to the antenna pod.

You need to remove the plastic trim around the inside of the rear window, and the carpet trim at the bottom of the hatch, you'll see the cables running along there when you get the trims off.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (10-26-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 02:42 AM

I pulled the rubber connection out of the trunk lid and the break is right there , the wire seems totally frayed apart. Is that something i can cut clean and patch back together? Seems easier than restringing a new one through....

Old 10-30-2017, 03:31 AM

Well that's interesting.

It's a coaxial cable, with an inner core and the braided outer layer, imagine in the inner is + and the braid is -, the braided part is one of the reasons why these cables have connectors crimped to them (although the inner core is also crimped as well).

It looks like this;

You could try a repair by twisting the braid into stubs on either side of the break, and soldering a piece of wire between them. Soldering a bit of wire between the breaks in the core in a similar fashion. If there is enough slack in the cable you might be able to put them together directly, like is explained here How to Fix CB Coax Cable -How to CB radio

The difference is that the core of the cables used for these antennas is stranded, not solid like you see in that CB radio link.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:30 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a long shot, but if there is enough cable you could cut it, remove the damaged section, then using BNC (IIRC, they're BNC connectors) connectors splice a new piece into the line. Back in the 90s, I used to have to add computers to a thinnet (10b2) network and while it was a PITA to get the connectors on, it worked. If there's an electrical supply warehouse (that deals with contractors) you should be able to get the parts...assuming it's possible.