XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Car envy

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Car envy

Sad when you get your dream F-type, and even a nice new AMG and your buddy rolls up with this!

Son and I were driving around the Coronado Cays yesterday and saw this, my God that was a gorgeous car! My XK didn't look so good later that afternoon. BTW these houses have very nice large docks in the back some sporting 60+' yachts

Old 01-03-2016, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

That is just art on wheels

Old 01-03-2016, 08:21 PM
Banned

Here's a better pic and also a pic of their backyard dock right off the house. I need to see if they want to adopt me

Old 01-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Whereas I like the silhouette, especially the rear "hips" of the Aston, it is very much XKR reminiscent, and I HATE the crease on the upper part of the door! It looks gimicky, added on, and not nearly sensual as the Jag's first or second gen XK/XKR.

Having said that, if Maserati does bring the Alfieri to market next year (2017), and Ferrari allows its sibling to add some horsepower, I think it would be hard to beat in the looks department.

Attached Thumbnails Car envy-maserati.jpg   Car envy-20141119_102749.jpg  
Old 01-04-2016, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

There's always someone with more. (Desiderata...)

When you have more than 99.99% of all humans, it's worth being grateful. My $2c.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

The Maserati looks delicious.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Is that a Vanquish?

Old 01-04-2016, 07:57 AM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Sexy!, also that Mas Alfieri, hot damn! But can I pick either of those up 2-3years old for $50K USD? Can I get maintenance done for less than a couple grand a year?

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (01-05-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

apost8n8,
Supposedly the Maserati will be priced similarly to the F-type R pricing (low $100,000's, which means it's entirely conceivable that 3 or so years down the line the cars will be in the $50K range. The question is will it get to market and how much will it change from the concept to the production model. When I saw this car a little over a year ago at the LA Car Show, it was clearly (for me) the star of the show!

Old 01-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

Although I do admire Leeper's picture of the Aston, I am a bit surprised at the amount of front end overhang there is. There's an awful lot of car in front of the front wheels while very little behind the rears. It's not as balanced as I'd expect.

Last edited by tberg; 01-05-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I keep expecting AM to go bust AGAIN. Possibly the final time and goodbye.

Turning a profit seems beyond them.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

A 5L Jaguar XKR coupe envying a Maserati or Ashton is like Catherine Zeta-Jones envying Catlyn Jenner.

It should be proud to be emulated by so many others. Its the original and real deal, in more ways than one. Unlike those two, its got substance and reliability rather than pure vanity. Not to mention far better all-rounder performance. It decidedly has the GPS (Grace-Pace-Space) character, it owns every element that is on it, such as the rear haunches, the classic rear window, the basic formula of a long nose with the driver almost at the rear wheel, i.e. chariot. And stands apart like a sovereign cat that refuses to give into passing trends. It is resolutely a Jaguar and nothing else. The reward in owning one is realizing that authenticity, which is the rarest commodity these days.

Its the creator of the Aston that we like today, the ones prior to receiving the Jaguar DNA were some of the worst cars every made in all regards, looks in particular. Remember the Lagonda, or the Volante, there is a reason you dont. Besides, think of the stupidity of a British car using Italian names- makes you wonder how much thought actually went into the character. The Aston of today has no allegiance to any Aston before it, Nor does the Maserati to the junk they have made to date (speaking as an owner) They have more in common with the Jaguar than their own history. The Jaguar has has everything in common with the Etype. The most beautiful car ever made. The Jaguar is the car to own, enjoy the fact that its authenticity is well guarded secret. As the best things in life always are.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
ralphwg (01-08-2016), tberg (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

P.s. As a designer, I dont find the picture of the Maserati attractive, form does not follow function, i.e it has superficial features, take the fluff away and you have a XK coupe minus the authenticity. Wonder if it is made on a Chrysler platform like their new SUV.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Although I do admire Leeper's picture of the Aston, I am a bit surprised at the amount of front end overhang there is. There's an awful lot of car in front of the front wheels while very little behind the rears. It's not as balanced as I'd expect.
Cullum is a serious disciple on Malcolm Sayer, wonder if he held something back when applying the Sayer Jaguar formula to the AM? I think so, I agree its proportionately too big and thus separates itself from a true Sayer design.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Banned

Though I won't likely ever own an Aston I do find that and the 488 perhaps the most beautiful cars made today. Pure sexy and purposeful in their designs. The right amount of flowing curves (as Enzo said "his cars were designed to emulate the curves of a woman") plus sharp/crisp lines for the look of speed and muscle. I like McLaren but nothing else has that sexy look like the aforementioned. That pic of the Masarati I saw several years ago when they presented it at an auto show, though it "stole the show" and definitely caught my eye as Q & C so eloquently wrote the proportions just are not there for me at all. The front half of the car does not match the back half, and the rear view looks like the Batmobile. Bold "yes", sexy "no". Like the Viper it will get attention.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

Aston, Maserati, Ferrari, and Jaguar front engine coupes all share a similar silhouette; it just works for GT's. Same can be said for SUV's. Scale and details define one from the next in the most general sense (on the outside).

Old 01-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
A 5L Jaguar XKR coupe envying a Maserati or Ashton is like Catherine Zeta-Jones envying Catlyn Jenner.

It should be proud to be emulated by so many others. Its the original and real deal, in more ways than one. Unlike those two, its got substance and reliability rather than pure vanity. Not to mention far better all-rounder performance. It decidedly has the GPS (Grace-Pace-Space) character, it owns every element that is on it, such as the rear haunches, the classic rear window, the basic formula of a long nose with the driver almost at the rear wheel, i.e. chariot. And stands apart like a sovereign cat that refuses to give into passing trends. It is resolutely a Jaguar and nothing else. The reward in owning one is realizing that authenticity, which is the rarest commodity these days.

Its the creator of the Aston that we like today, the ones prior to receiving the Jaguar DNA were some of the worst cars every made in all regards, looks in particular. Remember the Lagonda, or the Volante, there is a reason you dont. Besides, think of the stupidity of a British car using Italian names- makes you wonder how much thought actually went into the character. The Aston of today has no allegiance to any Aston before it, Nor does the Maserati to the junk they have made to date (speaking as an owner) They have more in common with the Jaguar than their own history. The Jaguar has has everything in common with the Etype. The most beautiful car ever made. The Jaguar is the car to own, enjoy the fact that its authenticity is well guarded secret. As the best things in life always are.
The Jag 5.0 is also a better engine than you will find in any aston... V12s's included. Hopefully AMG will fix that for aston.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:49 PM
Banned

I feel that Aston has, by far and away, the most beautiful designed body out there. Not a fan of their interiors in the least in that the colors don't work and certainly not a fan of diamond stitching found there or in the Mer S65, or the Bugatti's. Engine -I makes pretty noises and goes fast... at that costs that's exactly what it needs to do. Longevity, maintenance, etc isn't really a concern when laying down those $$$ no different than Ferrari, Lamborghini, or other exotics north of $200 large. It's not a daily driver not in the same class as our Jags unless you own a XJ220

Old 01-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

The Aston V8 shares a similar foundation the Jaguar 4.2 V8.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Reliability and even fuel economy, matter in a Grand Tourer.
If we take reliability, longevity, fuel economy and comfort off the table, anyone can make that car. For me having it all is the challenge and the true beauty of a XKR.
The Aston should have the most beautiful body- Jaguar had to give it their best while they owned it and deprive the XK so as not to compete too much with themselves. Can you imagine if Ian Callum would have put the Aston lines on the XK, they would never sell a single Aston.

Quick Reply: Car envy