XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

This car is gonna get me a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
On the other hand that could be precisely why I was pulled over in the first place.
I used to drive around London in a black Rover 3500SE V8 with my punk/goth mates in the late 80s - we got pulled over very regularly and asked "Where did you pinch this from?". I even got locked up overnight in Shepherd's Bush nick because London's finest didn't like the look of my tax disc and accused me of forging it (I think they were just disappointed they didn't find any drugs on us).

Then I bought a black XJS V12, and no-one ever bothered us again. The power of Jag…

Old 12-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll change things up a bit. I've given a few tickets to Jags.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by patrooper
Serious question... how often to police use these boards for research?

Old 12-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by patrooper

Was this you? It's even funnier if you did pull over a cat.

The following users liked this post:
patrooper (12-17-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

The only police/traffic people that will learn anything from this forum are those who own or are interested in Jags. It's not like anyone is posting invitations to street races. There is occasional discussion on radar/laser detectors, but no secrets there either.

patrooper, what's your ride?

Old 12-16-2013, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Serious question... how often to police use these boards for research?
I've never heard of police looking at forums for research.
By the way I'm retired.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ngarara
The only police/traffic people that will learn anything from this forum are those who own or are interested in Jags. It's not like anyone is posting invitations to street races. There is occasional discussion on radar/laser detectors, but no secrets there either.

patrooper, what's your ride?
Right now i'm driving a audi S5 cabriolet.
Waiting for the F coupe to appear.I also like the XK.

The following 2 users liked this post by patrooper:
amcdonal86 (12-16-2013), Ngarara (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Thanks for your work patrooper. I work in a highway construction zone and I get flipping mad at people driving aggressively through the project at 75 mph or more (55 zone). The state police tells us the average speed is 71. People just don't care. People assume that speed limits are completely arbitrary (maybe in some places they are).

There have been accidents on our project where cars have crashed into temporary barriers, or even flipped over barrier walls and crashed into our construction vehicles (including a crane). Thank God no worker was injured in those crashes, but it's only a matter of time.

Driving on an empty deserted road as fast as you care to is fine with me. But people who can't control themselves on the open road also seem to be the same people who can't control themselves in other environments (urban streets/highways with traffic, work zones, school zones, etc.). Just my opinion.

patrooper (12-18-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Had three >$300 tickets in my '95 XJ6, and a couple of little ones to bring the total over $1100 in three years. That car was so smooth and quiet, to feel engaged with the car I went too fast. I don't think I was reckless or endangering anyone but that's no excuse. I haven't had a ticket since selling the XJ6 six years ago. My XJS is much more fun at legal speeds cuz of the manual trans.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I work in a highway construction zone and I get flipping mad at people driving aggressively through the project at 75 mph or more (55 zone). The state police tells us the average speed is 71.
You guys need to bring in what we have here in the UK - time-over-distance speed cameras based on automatic plate recognition. They are used mostly in motorway roadworks, with camera gantries at regular intervals along the whole length of the site. People really do tend to stick to the limit with those things around; unlike a normal speed camera, you can't just brake when you see it. You have to keep at the correct average, and my TomTom shows me the average I'm achieving which makes it really simple. I have really noticed the difference in driver behaviour since the average-speed cameras were brought in.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

haha, must be physic

Interesting end to Christmas dinner.

Wife, kid and I all snug in our car on the way back from a nice family dinner in Copenhagen.
We are running a bit late, so the speed limit is exceeded by just a bit, not so much traffic so no problems.
All of a sudden I notice a semi unmarked police car is driving in the center lane and he is just under the speed limit.
I am long side the car, slow down and pull in. They are now behind us, probably screaming and yelling at each other mainly due the loud v8 sound that just woke them up causing them to spill their coffee and doughnuts.
I then proceed let the misses know what is about to happen... BIG mistake, should just have let her continue to sleep or whatever it is that she does to keep looking great.. Anyway, she freaks out, fearing the worse, making it sound like the Colombian/Russian traffic police are about to pull us over..
I now try to slowly put so distance between me and the cops... This does not go unnoticed, blue lights comes on and they catch up quick smart, impressive just how fast and fugal a Ford Mondeo 1,4 TDi (who cares) is.
I veer off to the side of the road, roll down the window, and get my papers ready.
Out of the police car comes a very young and somewhat irritated trooper.
He then proceeded to speak to me with a Danish farmer accent that under normal circumstance would require an interpreter.

Police man "Do you know how fast you were going?"

Me. “No”

P. "Have you been drinking??"

M. “No”

P "I do not believe you; you are acting strange, and seem under the influence of something"

M “Well it could be the adrenalin; I am not use to being pulled over”

P “You saw us, pulled in and then after a while speed up again”

M “Well, I saw you, slowed down, and after the 110km/h sign reappeared I then proceed to accelerate again”

P “You must have been driving faster than 110 km/h”

M “Nooo, must have been an optical illusion, caused by the full moon, and the fact that you guys were driving under the limit"
P "Stop acting like a smart *** and come out and do a sobriety test".

Which I do and pass, with flying honors...

He then proceeds to lecture me about farm animals and heavy machinery
I am listening politely, occasionally repeating that do not think that I was driving fast.

Now farmer boy thought that full background check was in place, I am asked to step back in to my car. This I do after taking the obligatory selfi with the cop car in the background.

Now a much worse fate waited for me there, would much rather have been with the coppers than facing my wife, who by now is sure that I will be beaten to a pulp and that Alex will be father less.

After 10 min of being lectured by the misses, the adolescent police man comes over and is all of a sudden very courteous wishes me merry Christmas and happy new year. Gives me my papers and says that all is in order...Thx M8... to you too.

Last edited by Stormdk; 12-22-2013 at 08:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 364 Posts

The few times I've been on the highway, it was hard to believe I was doing over 90mph. The car is so stable, linear, and tight, you become insulated to speed. Trying to keep it around 70 is going to be a task in itself.

Last edited by bocatrip; 12-18-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Trying to keep it around 70 is going to be a task in itself.
Cruise is your friend - take the car up to whatever speed you feel comfortable with (or what you think will go unnoticed), lock the cruise on & stop worrying. You can use the ASL instead, but then you still have to think about maintaining speed, and you can't boot it if you need to accelerate to get out of a tricky situation.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Fortunately my license is currently clean! I find my Jag, or indeed any other car I've owned to be reasonably easy to behave in.
However two wheels are likely to be my downfall!

Attached Thumbnails This car is gonna get me a ticket-4adce761.jpg  
Old 12-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Cruise is your friend - take the car up to whatever speed you feel comfortable with (or what you think will go unnoticed), lock the cruise on & stop worrying. You can use the ASL instead, but then you still have to think about maintaining speed, and you can't boot it if you need to accelerate to get out of a tricky situation.
Actually, ASL will disengage if you floor the gas pedal.

Ngarara (12-18-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 10:49 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Gmad, whats your problem you still had another 1000 rpm to go?

Old 12-19-2013, 03:05 AM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastlane'scat
Gmad, whats your problem you still had another 1000 rpm to go?
200mph is more than fast enough for me, the world is just a blur at those kind of speeds (on the ground)!

Old 12-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

How about doing that on the water? Got some friends who are in the 150-170 bracket moving a 48' boat with a pair of Merc 1350 on pump gas. Just read about 1900hp from a 557ci big block with turbo's.

Glad there's no speed limit on our waterways.