XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car won't start

can anyone tell me how to start a 07 XK coupe. I spent the afternoopn cleaning and detailing the car. Messed around inside and generally got into spots. I am giving this info because I am wondering if I flicked a switch or something, because the car will not start now. the brake lights are on and the headlight marker lights are on and they will not shut off. The engine did not get wet as I did not lift the hood. I tryed to boost but did it not start. The battery appears to be fine. I had the car into the dealership yesterday to turn the daytime running lights turned on as it is now a Canadian car. Could they have done something to effect this problem. They say no of course, but cannot give me an solution. It is going to sit on my driveway with a battery charger on so I will not kill the battery as the lights are still on.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

any luck pbcs?

Did you make sure its securely in park, or neutral before hitting the start button?

Old 12-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd disconnect the battery for 20 minutes to reset all the computers, then reconnect and try to start it.

The following users liked this post:
pbcs004 (12-31-2010)
Old 12-31-2010, 08:28 PM
Default car won't start

I disconnected and reconnected the battery and it solved the problem. Question is why did it happen. The battery seamed fine. When I disconnected the battery I put a charger on to see how much juice was in the battery and it appeared fully charged. It still is a mystery.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:44 AM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Since the lights were stuck on I'm guessing something got confused in either the CJB or the AJB which locked up the CAN bus preventing anything useful from happening. Maybe the dealers were supposed to reset something when they switched the running lights on or maybe, while you were cleaning, you pressed some switches in some way the computers weren't expecting which confused them.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Where the lights on before you jump started the car? Did you jump it backwords. The problem is in one of the 3 modules, CJB, AJB, Instrument Pack. You need to get it to the dealer. Hard reset may fix it by disconnecting the battery neg terminal, or taking both cables off and touching them together for a 30sec. One of those above modules is f'ed up or offline.

Originally Posted by pbcs004
can anyone tell me how to start a 07 XK coupe. I spent the afternoopn cleaning and detailing the car. Messed around inside and generally got into spots. I am giving this info because I am wondering if I flicked a switch or something, because the car will not start now. the brake lights are on and the headlight marker lights are on and they will not shut off. The engine did not get wet as I did not lift the hood. I tryed to boost but did it not start. The battery appears to be fine. I had the car into the dealership yesterday to turn the daytime running lights turned on as it is now a Canadian car. Could they have done something to effect this problem. They say no of course, but cannot give me an solution. It is going to sit on my driveway with a battery charger on so I will not kill the battery as the lights are still on.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

When you press the starter button, the brake pedal must also be depressed for the car to start.

I had a similar problem a few months ago. I didn't realize it, but I must have inadvertently pumped the brakes before trying to start the car, which caused the brake pedal to feel high and rock hard. As a result, when I put my foot on the brake to start the car, I wasn't making contact with the starter interlock switch. I had to really stand on the brake to depress it far enough to make contact with the interlock switch, and then when I pressed the start button the car started just fine.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Default car won't start

The problem is solved. By disconnecting the battery and re-connecting this must have re-booted the computer (I guess) when I re-connected I could hear noises like the computer was working. It fixed the problem but I will probably never know what I did to create the problem.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Geez, what a scare. Glad you got the problem resolved. I posted in another thread about buying a CAN scan reader tool; your story is positive reinforcement to make the purchase!

Old 01-21-2019, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 07 XK won't start as well...

I was sitting in the car setting up the navigation listening to music via blue tooth when the music stopped and serveral messages light across the screen.... Tsil lights on, front dimmer lights on car won't start. I disconnected the battery and reconnected and nothing. Tsil lights come back on again. Help!

Originally Posted by pbcs004

Old 01-21-2019, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Sounds like low voltage gremlins, check the battery voltage.....needs to be above 12.6v after sitting for a time.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Yup, sounds like you ran down the battery.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg A
I was sitting in the car setting up the navigation listening to music via blue tooth when the music stopped and serveral messages light across the screen.... Tsil lights on, front dimmer lights on car won't start. I disconnected the battery and reconnected and nothing. Tsil lights come back on again. Help!
Unfortunately unlike many other cars you just can't sit in the car listening to the radio or even cleaning the interior without excessive drain on the battery. Something to also warn detailers of so they don't run the battery down. When ever I clean the interior or leave the doors open or do anything inside I leave my Ctek plugged in. Go get a 10 amp or larger charger and recharge the battery. Hopefully it will take the charge and then all systems should work.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg A
As others have written, these are the classic signs that the battery voltage has dropped below the service threshold ( yes, it seems counterintuitive that the lights come on to tell you that the battery is low, but that is a fact). Please note that the early X150, such as yours, did not have a "Battery low. Please start engine" message that the later cars did.
Unless you are certain that your battery is less than four years old, replace it, charge it fully (new batteries are very often not at full charge) - and buy a CTEK battery maintainer and USE it. The result will be zero electrical issues.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all better. just a low battery. she is happy again.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Yep, I've learned to suspect voltage first when the gremlins pop up, glad all is right with the world now.