XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Which ceramic pads are best?

Old 12-16-2013, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Which ceramic pads are best?

Brake dust has been a constant issue with our cars while ceramic pads have been able to reduce the black dusting significantly. Do to the limited production of the XK, not all manufacturers have ceramic pads available for certain XK models. For my 2010 XK, I have found availability from
Akebono Euro for the rears only, and Centric Posi Quiet for fronts and rears which I found on tire rack. I know there are numerous less known brands out there as well. I have had good luck with Akebonos in the past on my G35 but they are only available for the rears. I haven't been able to find much feedback for the Centric Posi Quiet, but they are a larger company that makes fronts and rears for my car. For those XK owners that have replaced their OEM pads to ceramics, what brand ceramics are you using and how would you rate them overall for reduced brake dust ,noise, stopping ability, and rotor wear? My next project is replacing OEM to ceramics as I personally find the dust intolerable Thanks all.

Last edited by bocatrip; 12-16-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Is anyone with an XK using ceramic pads?

Old 12-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Here is a thread about brake pads started a week ago.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-dust-107354/

Old 12-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaximA
Here is a thread about brake pads started a week ago.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-dust-107354/

Thanks. Yes, I saw it, but there was not much discussion on brands that members are using other than one member mentioning using the Akebonos.
I am curious to see if any or very few members are actually using ceramics.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

I changed my rear discs and pads recently, used EBC RedStuff ceramic compound pads. Noticed a slight improvement in brake feel and a noticeable, but not massive, reduction in dust. They do front and rear ceramic pads too.

Best way to keep dust at bay is wash the wheels regularly and use a good sealant. I guess one could maybe hose the wheels down every time you get home or so, before the dust has a chance to bake on.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 8bit
I changed my rear discs and pads recently, used EBC RedStuff ceramic compound pads. Noticed a slight improvement in brake feel and a noticeable, but not massive, reduction in dust. They do front and rear ceramic pads too.

Best way to keep dust at bay is wash the wheels regularly and use a good sealant. I guess one could maybe hose the wheels down every time you get home or so, before the dust has a chance to bake on.

8bit....What pad are you using on your fronts? I looked at EBC Redstuff and thought it was more of a performance pad which might require a specific rotor. It mentioned on their site that dust would not be reduced significantly with redstuff and that greenstuff might be the way to go for greater dust reduction. With regards to hosing down the wheels every time you get home, you always risk damaging the hot rotors with cold water. I've heard about sealant's as well, but between sealant's and cleaning the wheels it becomes a full time job keeping the dust off the wheels. My 19" wheels have the 20 fins, and it's a PITA to get into all the crevices.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

I replaced both the front and rear brake pads for my 09 xk with ceramics that I purchased from Advanced Auto Parts here in fla. Don't remember what brand, I just went into AAP and asked for ceramics for the car,they plug it into computer and came up with the pads in stock, not that expensive, have had them 6 months, minimal dust, good braking performance, quiet, did not replace rotors. So far so good and would recommend highly

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

You can get the rear Akebonos from Tire Rack and the fronts from O'Riellys. Then again get both sets from O'Riellys.

bocatrip (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bobdr1
I replaced both the front and rear brake pads for my 09 xk with ceramics that I purchased from Advanced Auto Parts here in fla. Don't remember what brand, I just went into AAP and asked for ceramics for the car,they plug it into computer and came up with the pads in stock, not that expensive, have had them 6 months, minimal dust, good braking performance, quiet, did not replace rotors. So far so good and would recommend highly

If you had it done relatively recently, more than likely you got Akebonos which are currently available for the fronts and rears of your car. Unfortunately for me, Akebonos are only available for my rears, thus my dilemma as I like Akebonos. Too bad you don't remember the brand name. Thanks anyway.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fastlane'scat
You can get the rear Akebonos from Tire Rack and the fronts from O'Riellys. Then again get both sets from O'Riellys.

O'Riellys did not have any ceramics on their site for my car. Tire rack offers either rear Akebonos only or Centric Posi Quiet for front and rears. Until now, I have not found one XK owner who has used Centric Posi Quiet for their opinion, and the reviews for the Centrics are few and far between for any cars. I was thinking of calling Tire Rack for their opinion of Centrics for what that's worth.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
O'Riellys did not have any ceramics on their site for my car. Tire rack offers either rear Akebonos only or Centric Posi Quiet for front and rears. Until now, I have not found one XK owner who has used Centric Posi Quiet for their opinion, and the reviews for the Centrics are few and far between for any cars. I was thinking of calling Tire Rack for their opinion of Centrics for what that's worth.
Since your going to have the brake job done at the dealer, why not just go there, tell them that you want the best pads available to reduce brake dust problems and go with what they recommend.

Looks and sounds like you beating your head against the wall for something you can't achieve.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Since your going to have the brake job done at the dealer, why not just go there, tell them that you want the best pads available to reduce brake dust problems and go with what they recommend.

Looks and sounds like you beating your head against the wall for something you can't achieve.

I asked the service writer that very question. His response was that although Jaguar will install ceramics, he didn't think they would recommend a particular brand as they won't guarantee against brake noise etc. I think I will look into this further and talk with the service manager. I'm certain I'm not the only Jaguar owner that requests ceramic pads.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
8bit....What pad are you using on your fronts? I looked at EBC Redstuff and thought it was more of a performance pad which might require a specific rotor. It mentioned on their site that dust would not be reduced significantly with redstuff and that greenstuff might be the way to go for greater dust reduction. With regards to hosing down the wheels every time you get home, you always risk damaging the hot rotors with cold water. I've heard about sealant's as well, but between sealant's and cleaning the wheels it becomes a full time job keeping the dust off the wheels. My 19" wheels have the 20 fins, and it's a PITA to get into all the crevices.
I've no idea what my front pads are, they (and the front discs) were changed as a condition of the sale because I noticed they were in poor shape when I test drove the car. I got my car from a franchised dealer as an approved-used car so I'd be expecting them to be whatever OEM items Jaguar were supplying at the time.

Re. the Redstuff pads, I didn't read much on the EBC site about them, I chose them because a good number of people over on jaguarforum.co.uk recommended them, both for performance and reduced dust. They are a little better on both counts in my experience so far. I've never tried Greenstuff personally so can't comment there.

Sorry, yes - didn't mean hose cold water over scorching hot discs, let them cool a bit first. Brake dust deposits on wheels need a couple of heat cycles to get properly stuck on. I know what you mean about a full-time job keeping wheels clean though, my 20" Sentas get dirty really quickly and the bolts for the split rims are a hassle to clean properly.

On my other car I had the wheels refurbished in a sort of medium/dark grey, like anthracite or titanium. I did that because I thought it suited the car better but another upside is the brake dust doesn't show as badly

Old 01-20-2014, 05:09 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I have had very good performance form StopTech. When I first got car at 8,000 miles, I changed front and read rotors and pads. Rotors are StopTech drilled (not slotted, only drilled) F & R, and used StopTech Ceramics. couldn't be happier. Very little dust, excellent stopping wet and dry, and zero noise/squeek/squeal. You can find them at Rockauto, very reasonable prices, and Stoptech is a Centric brand (Continental). Whole job was less than $400.00 in parts. Note that reason I did this at 8k miles was the front had slight vibration when stopping at high speed - I believe it was warped factory rotors.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ctsemicon
I have had very good performance form StopTech. When I first got car at 8,000 miles, I changed front and read rotors and pads. Rotors are StopTech drilled (not slotted, only drilled) F & R, and used StopTech Ceramics. couldn't be happier. Very little dust, excellent stopping wet and dry, and zero noise/squeek/squeal. You can find them at Rockauto, very reasonable prices, and Stoptech is a Centric brand (Continental). Whole job was less than $400.00 in parts. Note that reason I did this at 8k miles was the front had slight vibration when stopping at high speed - I believe it was warped factory rotors.

I've opted for the Centric Posi quiets all around within the next month. I have less than 100 miles on 4 new OEM rotors, and want to make the change before there is too much transfer of the OEM brake material. I've heard about Stop tech as well but the Centric Posi Quiets were the only pads I could find that were available for the 2010 for both fronts and rears. Our cars are not popular enough to have many manufacturers catering to our needs, at least not for the ceramic pads. Glad ceramics are working for you with satisfactory stopping and little dust. Some owners do comment on some diminished stopping ability with the ceramics but are fine with it as the brake dust had been minimized.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:04 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

How are the Centric Posi pads working out for you? I am due for new brake pads soon and I am considering ceramic pads myself. I am surprised, as I think you are, that there is not much discussion on ceramic pads. This is a discriminating audience and its just funny there is not much opinion out there on these.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by UsmaXKR2010
How are the Centric Posi pads working out for you? I am due for new brake pads soon and I am considering ceramic pads myself. I am surprised, as I think you are, that there is not much discussion on ceramic pads. This is a discriminating audience and its just funny there is not much opinion out there on these.

Loving my Centrics with great stopping and very very little dust. I have nothing bad to say after a few hundred miles. I have Akebonos in the rear which so far have no dust at all, but of course rear brakes dust less unless OEM which are nasty front and rear.

UsmaXKR2010 (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

I'll let you know shortly about Centric. I just got them delivered today for both front and rear. I'll have the put on next week.

The following 2 users liked this post by chazaroo:
Bruce M. (03-28-2014), UsmaXKR2010 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chazaroo
I'll let you know shortly about Centric. I just got them delivered today for both front and rear. I'll have the put on next week.

Please keep us posted.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I always laugh when someone is willing to compromise the most important safety item on their car for a little dust. Sorry, but that's just silly. Next thing you know, they'll be exchanged the top shelf rubber for some mealy sidewalled cheapo tires. COME ON MAN!

A little Simple Green and a pressure washer make quick work out of brake dust, even after its baked on from a track day in the rain!

Anyone evaluating brakes after a few hundred miles without actually measuring distance is just blowin smoke! BTW the pads aren't even fully bedded yet unless you did a track pad break in which meant you did enough 100+ to o runs to have them smokin hot! Not bustin ***** just making some very valid points folks

Last edited by ddsski; 03-28-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which ceramic pads are best?