XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

change battery - vert top now needs serious repair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default change battery - vert top now needs serious repair?

07 XKR 15k miles on it with original battery

battery died, had it swapped it out and when the battery changes they have to reprogram everything. I get that. the top is up but it will not go all the down. the service advisor says the convertible unit has a leaking hydraulic pump????

the top has worked fine for forever and the day before the battery change the top worked great (no slag, no delay) I take the car to N Scottsdale Jaguar and the top will no longer down.

a new battery and now I need to come up with $2500 for a new convertible part when the convertible worked fine the day before?

I am going to bring it back but any thoughts or suggestions on this? again the convertible has never had a lag or a delay at all.

suggestions/thoughts

Old 07-13-2013, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Your right, it seem pretty odd timing for this kind of failure as well... Let's hope other vert owners step up with some wisdom and experience for ya...

BOL
Vince

Old 07-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

First try holding the top up and down button in each position for a couple of minutes with the engine running. It might just start to work.

If that does not work you need to look in your owners manual. There are insructions for manually lowering the top. Manually lowering it will reset the system, and if the components are not faulty it should then start to work.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

On my 2009 XKR Convertible.....there is a slide panel in the trunk that makes a partition between the convertible top and the luggage area. This slide must be placed back correcty after removing the battery or the convertible top will NOT move up or down.

If your car has one, check this out. I removed mine to access the panel to the battery about one month ago. I did not slide in the shade type partition correctly in its tracks, and the top would not go up or down. Once I went back and took another look and CAREFULLY reinstalled the panel in the tracks, the convertible top worked perfectly.

If your car has one, the partition had to be removed in order to access the battery in trunk compartment for battery replacement.

Check it out and make 100% sure the slide partition is correctly installed.

Otherwise, I have no other suggestions, other to say it seems wierd this happen after replacing the battery.

However, this is one of the best places to get some answers. Don't get frustrated, there is an answer somewhere.

Hope my solution works.

Last edited by richzak; 07-13-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
First try holding the top up and down button in each position for a couple of minutes with the engine running. It might just start to work.

after reading my post over again let me clarify the top opens (unlatches) starts to go down then wont go any further stops midway through.

then I can shut it with the button, but midway it won't go down any further.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

FOLLOW-UP:

Here is a photo of the partition that I spoke about. It slides out via a open trunk lid.

You can clearly see the sliding partition and the shade turns up to be locked in. Click the photo to enlarge. Hopefully if you have this partition, it was replaced by the person changing the battery.

Attached Thumbnails change battery - vert top now needs serious repair?-convertible-top-partition.jpg  
Old 07-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by desert_fox
after reading my post over again let me clarify the top opens (unlatches) starts to go down then wont go any further stops midway through.

then I can shut it with the button, but midway it won't go down any further.
That symptom does in fact sound like it could be low fluid.

The pump is on the right side of the trunk behind the louvered panel. There is a sound insulation cover with 3 velcro straps that needs to be removed to see the pump itself. The pump has a translucent tank which shows the fluid level with low and high marks.

If the fluid is low, it can be topped up, but chances are it is leaking somewhere in the system, not necessarily the pump unless the pump itself is wet.

If you are unlucky enough of have a leaking pump, a used one from a salvage vehicle will save you a lot of money.

If the fluid is not low, put the top down manually per the instructions in the User's Manual. This effects a system reset.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 07-13-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

If you need a new pump....Convertible Pump on eBay...

Jaguar 2007 2012 XK XKR Convertible Top Motor Pump C2P21016 | eBay

Also here's a link to questions as several 2007 Jag XK/XKR owners had the same problem after replacing battery. You are not alone.

Jaguar Convertible top pump Problems & Solutions - Fixya

Hope this info helps.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:42 PM

thank you for the replies. I am going to check the fluid, inquire about that first then if nothing else will work I will have to pay for the new hydraulic part.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:28 PM

Repalced battery in 2007 jag xkr now top will only move a couple of inches have programed windows still have the same problem

Hi, I am having exactly the same problem... just wondering if you ever found a solution. The dealer clueless and wants to charge me 3.8k to replace the entire hydraulic pump system. ridiculous

Barry Check the Amp hours on the battery. Jags use a huge amount of power and 88-96AH is recommended. Many spares shops have batteries around 72AH in the catelog for the same car. These will make the car run but a huge amount of electronic issues will appear over time. All should be solved by the correct battery

hmmm... I need to check the battery

Old 07-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Have you looked at the fluid level?

Have you tried the reset by manually stowing the top per the owners manual?

If you do not want to do this yourself find a qualified Jag independent shop instead of the dealer.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Have you looked at the fluid level?

Have you tried the reset by manually stowing the top per the owners manual?

If you do not want to do this yourself find a qualified Jag independent shop instead of the dealer.
Yes, I am going to take to a jag shop to do. I am not very crafty with cars etc

-I called the battery shop and they stated the battery in the car is a very heavy duty batter with 1000 cranking amps 850 cold cranking amps. so its not the battery then.

the top unhinged and stops midway though.... I will check the fluid and look at the top being put down manually this week. just no time at the moment

Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 PM

well took it an independent shop in tempe, az and he fixed the top. he went up and down with the top manually then topped off the fluids and I believe fixed something but according to them it works fine. a little bit of leakage but not needing to come out of pocket $3000 like the dealer told me... so frustrated with N scottsdale Jaguar

the indy shop contact info

Jaguar Repair by Sports & Collector Car Center in Tempe, AZ | JagShops.com

I will pick it up tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (08-02-2013)