Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check Engine Light/Fault Code Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Check Engine Light/Fault Code Help

2007 XKR w/34,000 miles.

While driving on the highway today the dreaded check engine light came on giving me the cold sweats. I drove another ten miles to get home and noticed no change in performance, smells or anything of that nature;everything seemed fine. I then went to advance auto and borrowed their OBD scanner and the fault code P0430 "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold 2" came up. I reset the code and was on my way back home. The CEL did not come on again for the short few mile trip.

While parking, I had the windows down and heard some sort of noise coming from the passenger side in front of the rear tire (assume converter). Read online that the code possibly indicates a converter issue. Has anyone had this issue before or what exactly could be going on as I'm not the biggest car guy out there?

Do you guys/gals think I should take it to the Jag dealership tomorrow to get it checked out asap? Anyone know how much a converter is to replace? I'm sure expensive..yikes!! If I do need a new one are there any other options besides that..take off both converters?

Also, I don't know if this is related but I had the oil changed not to long ago at Jag and they said my throttle body was dirty and recommended they perform a fuel injection service and to clean the throttle body but I haven't gotten it done yet. Could this be an issue for the converter or why it's throwing a code?

Thanks for listening to me banter. All help and opinions is appreciated.

Mike-

Old 12-12-2012, 05:50 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Although P0430 can be indicative of catalyst failure, it can equally be caused by an issue with either of the HO2 Sensors or their harness connections to the ECM.

Graham

Old 12-12-2012, 09:12 PM

Took it for some spirited driving later on and the CEL has not come back on and I have no issues or loss of power etc. Do you guys think I should still go get it checked out tomorrow or wait to see if the light comes back on??

Old 12-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

If not under warranty, then I personally would wait to see if the code or any other oddity appears. Keep in mind that waiting may not be the smartest move, but I have this adversity to paying top dollar to a tech only to have them say "The ECU doesn't say anything is wrong... see ya, and you can pay up front...."

If the code returns then I would get it in before clearing it.

Could the dirty throttle body cause it? No, not likely.
Cat Costs? About $600 each.

my 2 cents
Vince

Old 12-13-2012, 09:19 PM

Well of course with my luck the check engine light came back on tonight. Still don't notice any issues with the car. Are there any non-jag part cat converters that can be used on the XKR if that's what I need given the fault code?

I actually just found this and it says it fits the XKR. Would it work? 2007 Jaguar XKR Catalytic Converters - JCWhitney

I saw Gaudin Jag sells em' for $490 plus shipping but I don't wanna drop that much for a converter plus labor if it can be avoided. Opinons and help please on what to do!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:29 PM

Guys, would any of these converters work?? Says universal and they're hi flow cats. 07-up Jaguar XK_Series Catalytic Converters from Bassani at Andy's Auto Sport

Also does anyone have the measurements for our cat cons cause I don't want to buy something that doesn't fit?

Last edited by MJB1221; 12-13-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I was looking at another thread in talking about this same code. Might be worth a read. They are discussing O2 sensors as a possibility.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...reshold-86217/

Vince

Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by MJB1221
Guys, would any of these converters work?? Says universal and they're hi flow cats. 07-up Jaguar XK_Series Catalytic Converters from Bassani at Andy's Auto Sport

Also does anyone have the measurements for our cat cons cause I don't want to buy something that doesn't fit?

MJB,

All I can say about universal fit aftermarket cats is Buyer Beware! See this post: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nverter-84377/

Stuart

Old 12-14-2012, 12:27 AM

Thanks for your help guys but I just came across something that could be huggeee for me. I just got excited!!

There's a warranty for my cat con's if they need to be replaced...Federal Emission Control System Warranties. I just read it on Jaguar Passport For Service • Certain emissions-related parts *
8 years / 80,000 miles and cat converters are obviously on there! So maybe I'm getting lucky after all...is there anyway Jag can deny this or try and fight it if it comes back that I need new cats??

Emission Control System
Warranties Coverage
The following is a list of the parts that
are covered under the Federal Emission
Control System Warranties.
* parts covered for eight (8) years or
80,000 miles
• Air / fuel feedback control system
and sensors
• Catalytic converter(s) *
• Electronic engine control sensors
and switches
• Electronic ignition system
• Emissions related bulbs, hoses,
clamps, brackets, tubes, gaskets,
seals, belts, connectors, fuel lines,
and wiring harnesses
• Engine control module (ECM) *
• Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve
and associated parts
• Exhaust manifold(s)
• Fuel injection system
• Fuel tank, fuel filler cap and neck
restrictor
• Fuel vapor storage canister, liquid
separator and associated controls
• Intake manifold(s)
• Malfunction indicator light (MIL)
system
• PCV system
• Spark control components
• Spark plugs
• Supercharger assembly
• Throttle body assembly
• Transmission control module
• Transmission control module and
valve assembly
• Transmission control valve block
• Variable valve timing unit(s)

Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I live some distance from a dealer; so it is not practical for me to run to the dealer every time a check engine light illuminates. I have a simple OBDII code reader, which can clear false alarm codes.
If the code persists, then I reboot the car's ECU, which takes all of ten minutes. Everyone should know how to do this. Simply disconnect the battery cables at the battery. Then connect the cables together (not to the battery) for at least one minute. Reconnect the cables. Reset your clock. Your ECU will now relearn your motor. It may take a few miles to do this.
If the code still persists, then I do some serious on-line research; and finally will I take it to the dealer.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Your fixing to spend quite a bit of money. Mabe if you have the time...........swap the l/h and r/h PRE CATALYST HO2 sensors and also swap the l/h HO2 sensor with the r/h HO2 sensor.

Then clear the fault with you diagnostic device and drive the car for a while. See if the problem goes from the right hand side to the left hand side of the exhaust system. If it does..............well you know what that means, it's the HO2 sensor(s) most likely.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I have had personal experience with the following situation...

Had an 02 sensor go bad, which caused the computer to enrich the fuel mixture. This caused two plugs to foul and then raw fuel was being dumped into the CATS which destroyed them.

Especially with these cars, I would not mess around with resetting 02 senor codes and continuing to drive the car around.

However, it's your car...

Old 01-10-2013, 11:59 PM

The Jag dealership is replacing my catalytic converter at no cost and the cat con will be arriving at the dealership tomorrow. Thankfully, its covered under the federal emissions warranty.

The following users liked this post:
jkowski (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of OBDll code reader do you have.

Hello,
I have a 2007 XK and my engine light just came on too. What type of OBDll code reader would you suggest? I would like to get one and have it handy.

Old 10-29-2022, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,159 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Wow, you just resurrected a ten year old thread.
Anyway, do you want an all-in-one with a cable and screen or a phone-based reader? There are literally hundreds of different ones.....

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=obd2+re...f=nb_sb_noss_1

I have a PanLong Bluetooth dongle one and it's served me greatly. I also used the GVIF and Android Box option and have it displayed on my car's TSD.
Many, many options, consider them all and find one that suits you best.

Old 10-29-2022, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by jkowski
Hello,
I have a 2007 XK and my engine light just came on too. What type of OBDll code reader would you suggest? I would like to get one and have it handy.
There’s a thread on the General Tech Help page, accessible from the forum home page:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...-%2A%2A-33347/

Old 10-30-2022, 06:54 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

… and yet we have so many using inadequate code readers and/or misinterpreting the results and/or bypassing pin point tests…
then playing musical parts anyways.

Old 10-30-2022, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,159 Likes on 3,090 Posts

I do like Torque Pro though, it is missing some things but the live data is really quite helpful. And there is a lot of it.