Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clay bath today

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts
Default Clay bath today

I finally got around to clay bathing the xk today (helps when the kids are out for the day)

Tomorrow i will finish the job off with a decent polish

Results look sensational

(Ps sorry about the building supplies in the background finally had the turf put down)

Attached Thumbnails Clay bath today-2016-11-26-15.40.04.jpg   Clay bath today-2016-11-26-15.42.01.jpg   Clay bath today-2016-11-26-15.43.11.jpg  
Old 11-26-2016, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
I finally got around to clay bathing the xk today (helps when the kids are out for the day)

Tomorrow i will finish the job off with a decent polish

Results look sensational

(Ps sorry about the building supplies in the background finally had the turf put down)
Since you took the time to clay bar the car. May I suggest that you polish the Jag, buff then apply a nano ceramic paint coating. You will not be disappointed and the results will provide excellent shine and reflective qualities. The ceramic paint coating will last 2 + years and future washing the car will be a breeze. All my premium sports cars have been nano ceramic coated. Dirt doesn't stick to the coating and the water beading is excellent.

Click the image to enlarge, click again for full screen.

Attached Thumbnails Clay bath today-dsc_7901-2.jpg  
Old 11-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Thats Richard can you recommend any particular products

Old 11-26-2016, 04:15 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I use a a lay Cloth from surprisingly the Clay Cloth Company, many inferior products around but this one is superb. Also use Killerwaxx products that are incredible

Old 11-26-2016, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks ozmag
The clay is complete, polish next, then finally this nano ceramic coating

Old 11-26-2016, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Thats Richard can you recommend any particular products
Yes. I am not sure if these products are available in Australia, but will provide a few.

Keep in mind a "polish" is a product that is applied after the clay bar or after using a new polymer wash mitt to reduce contaminants from the surface.

After the vehicle is polished you move on to the final application of finishing product.

The car must be ultra clean after polishing so I recommend a solution of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol & 30% Water wipedown. This will make the surface clean of any polish residue.

My choice's for a polish are: Blackfire Polish or Meguiars M205 or Meguiars M82

For the Last Step Application: Blackfire Polish & Seal which is a paint sealant.
or Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating which is a nano-ceramic paint coating.

A paint sealant will last about 6-9 months, while a ceramic paint coating will last over 2 years.

Personally, I use the Pinnacle Paint Coating which is a nano-ceramic coating.

Just "google" any of these names and I am sure a vendor or a place to buy will come up.

All are great products with the Pinnacle Paint Coating as the top of line product. You can also go to YouTube and there are several videos on applying Pinnacle ceramic paint coatings.

Attached Thumbnails Clay bath today-blackfire-polish-seal.jpg   Clay bath today-dscn1154.jpg   Clay bath today-richard-detailin-supplies-37.jpg   Clay bath today-richard-detailing-supplies-38.jpg  
Old 11-26-2016, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

$185 dollars later apparently i have the best of the best

At least the meguiars gold class wash smells like lollies

Attached Thumbnails Clay bath today-1480211808866.jpg  
Old 11-26-2016, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

$185 dollars later apparently i have the best of the best. At least the meguiars gold class wash smells like lollies
Hard to believe your items cost $185.00.......shocking. But I guess it's Australian prices.

Your items are a far cry from the "best of the best".

Here in the states the AutoGlym Ultra Deep Shine is $39.00
The Meguairs Car wash is $9.99
The Meguiars Ultimate Wax is $16.00
The Microfiber towels: $10

The Meguiars Wax will last about 3-4 months, then you will need to remove the old wax and polish and do it again.

Using a wax product like the Meguiars Ultimate Wax is old school. In the future consider moving up to a polymer paint sealant or nano-ceramic paint coating. The durability of these products are far superior to any old school wax product.

Best to you, have fun detailing the Jaguar.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Yes next time i think I will be purchasing directly from the US not only are the products over priced here but the selection is limited

The meguiars ultimate liquid wax was $74.95

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 11-26-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member

Yes next time i think I will be purchasing directly from the US not only are the products over priced here but the selection is limited

Holy smokes, it cost a lot to live in paradise.

Attached Thumbnails Clay bath today-meguiars-wax.jpg  
Old 11-26-2016, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

Damn it !!

Old 11-27-2016, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, it is approx $84 AUD at Super Cheap Auto here in New Zealand.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member

Damn it I've been in a rage all day over the price i paid here!

Where abouts in nz are you located ive been to Christchurch a few times to visit in-laws and absolutely loved it
Whilst there we also visited akaroa bay which looks like heaven on earth

Lastly how common are xk/xkr over there, in Aust i can count on the one hand how many times ive either seen an aston martin vantage/db9 or jag xk/xkr actually the jag is more rare ..seems like everyone here owns a c63

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 11-27-2016 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

as richzak mentioned, I use Black Diamond Sealer, but the model I use is a straight up sealer. I think it is different than what he uses. On my 2nd bottle. Very easy to apply and remove. I do that after clay bar the car. If you are polishing/waxing, etc... tomorrow; wash the car first. I have done the alcohol mix prep before sealing the car, but did not notice much difference. I wash the car after clay bar, but actually a Nano Mit fine grade instead. Clay bar is old hat since the Nano mit came to market.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

Too late Moses i did the whole lot yesterday took hours

Next on the list is the interior Cambo recommended gliptone conditioner and cleaner which this time i bought directly online from overseas as i would hate to think what they would cost locally

Old 11-27-2016, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I like the Meguiar's Ultimate synthetic paste wax a lot. It is certainly not the longest lasting paste I've ever used, but is so easy to apply and wipe off and provides the best water beading of any wax in my experience (of washing cars for the past 47 years). And by the way, the Meguiar's Car Wash is a staple at Costco along with very good quality microfibre towels. Another car wash product that I like is Armor All Ultra Shine Car Wash which is a little over $3.50 at Home Depot and Target.

It's too bad these items are so expensive in Australia.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Where abouts in nz are you located ive been to Christchurch a few times to visit in-laws and absolutely loved it
Sunny Christchurch.

Lastly how common are xk/xkr over there
You certainly don't see them every day but there are 6 for sale in Christchurch at the moment and 18 for sale country wide. Most of them are Japanese or UK imports but a reasonable number do get sold locally as well.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
as richzak mentioned, I use Black Diamond Sealer, but the model I use is a straight up sealer. I think it is different than what he uses. On my 2nd bottle. Very easy to apply and remove. I do that after clay bar the car. If you are polishing/waxing, etc... tomorrow; wash the car first. I have done the alcohol mix prep before sealing the car, but did not notice much difference. I wash the car after clay bar, but actually a Nano Mit fine grade instead. Clay bar is old hat since the Nano mit came to market.
There is a Pinnacle Black Diamond Paint Sealant that costs about $50.00 for an 8 oz. spray bottle. This is a polymer paint sealant. The durability of the paint sealant is about 6-9months before the sealant should be re-applied. The vehicle needs to be stripped, polished and sealant re-applied.

There is a Pinnacle Black Diamond Paint Coating that costs about $80.00 for a 4 oz spray bottle. This is a nano-ceramic paint coating. The durability of the nano-ceramic paint coating is superior to the paint sealant and should be re-applied after 2 to 3 years. The vehicle needs to be stripped, polished and paint coating re-applied. The durability of a ceramic paint coating is far superior to any other detail product.

In the case of either product, an 8 oz sealant or 4 oz paint coating each will complete many vehicles. Each product, the sealant or coating is applied in a thin layer application.

I have used the nano-ceramic paint coating on my Jaguar, Porsche, & Corvette.

I use the Blackfire Polish and Sealant on other cars when detailing them.

Wax is dead and certainly old school. Many car owners are not familiar with the new technology of polymer paint sealants or nano-ceramic coatings, and many owners are not willing to put in the time or expense to seal or coat their vehicles.

Links to help educate yourself:

http://www.autogeek.net/best-car-paint-sealant.html

http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-paint-coating.html

Old 11-27-2016, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Is there a point cleaning a black car cant believe the fact it's already looking dirty again !

Gezz wish i went the nano ceramic now , i cant imagine going through the whole process every 3-4 months it takes hours

Old 11-27-2016, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

You should be OK to just wax it now every month or two for a year or so. Claying a car is pretty easy once you've done the hard yards the first time, because you are probably getting rid of 5 years plus worth of crap bonded to the clearcoat. I had been waxing my XKR for a year and feeling a rough panel before I clayed it, the car came up like it was glass after it was clayed and aside from a few stone chips it looked brand new. Subsequent claying took less than a half of the time because the crap was pretty much all gone and I was only getting rid of new crap.

I'll usually clay mine once a year, I tend to use the meguairs clay and if I am feeling naughty I hit the car with the pressure sprayer first (be careful with them because there are suggestions that they can damage the duco, not that I have seen it happen in 5 years of using them).

But yes, on a hot day doing the wash then the clay then the second wash then the polish (on a dark car - I dont bother polishing the liughter coloured cars) then the wax, it is certainly good exercise. And I polish the wheels too.