XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake

I thought cold air intakes were not made for Jaguars?
Apparently there is:
http://www.eurotoysltd.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=49_62_263_480_588&products_ id=1384&osCsid=7t1jhejh0e3aisgcp0j93726p3

Do you guys think a cold air intake would be good or would there be problem with our cars?
And had anybody tried it yet on a jag??

Old 07-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Lots of posts in the XK8/R and XJ8/R on this subject. Our stock setup provides cooler air than most of the aftermarket setups even with the heat shield they provide. About the only thing I did on my XK8 was a K&N filter. And no, it did not screw up my MAF!

Old 07-28-2014, 11:32 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by bigreda357
I thought cold air intakes were not made for Jaguars?
Apparently there is:
http://www.eurotoysltd.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=49_62_263_480_588&products_ id=1384&osCsid=7t1jhejh0e3aisgcp0j93726p3

Do you guys think a cold air intake would be good or would there be problem with our cars?
And had anybody tried it yet on a jag??
Cold Air Intakes on most modern cars are for sounds and not really power. On an R it will sound epic.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:13 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveC
Lots of posts in the XK8/R and XJ8/R on this subject. Our stock setup provides cooler air than most of the aftermarket setups even with the heat shield they provide. About the only thing I did on my XK8 was a K&N filter. And no, it did not screw up my MAF!
Thanks for the info! I was debating in getting the K&N air filters but keep heading about the MAF problem. Glad it worked out for you.

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Cold Air Intakes on most modern cars are for sounds and not really power. On an R it will sound epic.
Ya I would think it would make the car sound amazing! It makes a big difference in some cars sounds and even power as well depending on the car. I would love to know how it is on a XKR and if there's any problems with it or anything.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

bumping this, because Im curious as to if that kit is for the 5.0L supercharged? If it is, I will definitely do it, unless you guys out there have any real world experience proving that it wont lose me horsepower. Even if it doesnt gain anything, Id do it just for the sound...but definitely dont want to lose power to gain sound.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Sorry to bring the overall IQ of the forum down by showing my ignorance here, but what could possibly be the point of a CAI on a supercharged vehicle? The density of the air wouldn't matter when the pressure is already regulated, right?

Old 12-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Save your money.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

+1 for the noise!!! Was tempted by a CAI was also depating loosing the intake resonators on the intake tubes.........just finding time to get the cat in the garage and take a look at the work involved.....,

Old 12-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

For you guys tempted to go for a CAI, be aware that HP gains (if any) will occur at the top end of the rev band. So if you are tracking your car you will perhaps see the benefits.

However, if you are unwilling to red line the car at WOT on a regular basis - save your money.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:44 PM

Im not so much concerned with power gains as I am power losses. Like I said Id do the intake kit just for the noise as long as I dont lose any power...

Old 12-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

...furthermore my NA XK already pulls ram air bilaterally from in front of the radiator. Can't get a better CAI than that!

Old 12-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I bought the now-discontinued kit from Mina, which looks somewhat similar. The air filter looks like the filter offered in the Mina kit, which is a cheep no-name K&N knock off.
The Mina kit contained no instructions whatsoever.
The major problem with the Mina kit is its connection to the OEM intake tubing. The OEM connection between the plastic MAF mount has a sealing lip. The Mina's MAF tube is smooth and does not seal without a lot of good quality duct tape.
Finally, the air filter offered in these kits is comparatively. You want as much filter area as possible. I cobbed together my own "Kit", using a large K&N (#1040) some aftermarket tubing connected to the Jaguar MAF.
When all is said and done, I think the major advantage to a custom air filter is more filter area, which means less restriction. By my measurements intake air temp whether using OEM or custom is about the same.
You probably know this, but the airway downstream from the MAF must be absolutely leak free; and, with XKR, the dual intake components like MAFs and air filters must perfectly match.
Basically, the OEM intake system delivers fairly cool intake air, BUT it can be made better. The OEM's intake is at the top of a vertical snorkel located in front of the radiator. Jaguar, like many OEMs, wants the intake located high so water will not be injested. I think they over do it making the intake tract unnecessarily complex. This snorkel can be removed and then intake air has a more direct path. The intake point is still well above pavement; and you'd have to "ford" a stream to ingest water.
Jaguar's supercharged intake is a "suck through system", which always benefits from less restrictions. Contrasted a "blow through system" is much less sensitive.

The following 3 users liked this post by Rey:
bigdhenderson (12-16-2014), FrickenJag (12-16-2014), Muddydog (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Hmmm good write up......did not realise there wad an intake snorkel!! Think i'll take a look at this in order to remove it.......done this a previous vehicle.....jeep commander....and it made a noticable difference to the intake sound.

The following users liked this post:
daro31 (01-01-2015)
Old 12-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

To chime in on the subject... There are some good points here.

I would like to see some numbers associated with these CAI that have been offered. Would certainly encourage more sales.
The filters are certainly a good upgrade, as K&N has clearly documented the benefits of their filters.
An engine that breathes easier is a happier engine.
So that we understand the benefits of such systems, we must understand the why. Typically the reason CAI / tube mods/ throttles benefit engines is because there is less restriction for the air path. An easy way to determine if an engine is starving for more air is to test this with a vacuum gauge in the inlet pipe. If the engine is trying to pull a substantial vacuum at WOT, we know that the throttle, filter or tubing is too small.
At WOT we want to see close to 0 Vacuum. For every drop in Vacuum we could be looking at substantial power gains, especially in higher boost setups. The more boost, the more these drops in vacuum will benefit the engine.
By lowering the vacuum we will also see supercharger boost levels begin to increase slightly.
Keep in mind, how a CAI pipe and Filter in the engine compartment performs on the dyno may not perform the same with the hood closed in a heated environment. The stock locations are certainly ideal for drawing cold air. I highly recommend keeping filter locations there.

I'll do some testing in coming weeks on the intake side and publish my findings for you guys to reference. I plan on wrapping up the exhaust and header side of the project first then step into this one as well as the supercharger.

Cheers

D. Fricke

Old 12-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

To chime in on the subject... There are some good points here.

I would like to see some numbers associated with these CAI that have been offered. Would certainly encourage more sales.
The filters are certainly a good upgrade, as K&N has clearly documented the benefits of their filters. Would you expect a company to document that their product does not have benefits? Could you perhaps provide any evidence of this supposed improvement? From all I've read and my own experiences K&N provides added intake noise, ZERO in terms of any performance improvements, but does give the added benefit of allowing more particulates into your engine as seen in the intake manifold after it was installed. There's also ample evidence that in many cars K&N has led to clogging of the MAF (See Boxster forums for one example), not sure if this is the case with Jag but I highly doubt there are many using them here. The vast majority of those in my motorcycle and auto forums have reverted back to stock from K&N. The supposed cost benefit of it being replaceable is also easily argued as well when compared to the fact that OEM filters last quite a while then can be bought, not "serviced" for a small cost at various online sites.

Last edited by Leeper; 12-16-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:14 PM

I wish someone had a detailed list of information of what modifications were done to the xfr that did 225mph.....I bet it didnt have a factory intake...maybe the filter, but i doubt the intake wasnt modified.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Pertaining to publishing data, I was referring to Eurotoys' kit not the filters. I don't know of anyone running this style inlet tubing.

I mentioned they document the "benefits" of their filter. I have not had any experience in the past with clogging of MAF due to the filters. Not to say that doesn't happen. I could see that being a potential concern if one does not oil the filter properly, and debris gets through. Or possibly oiling the filter too much and getting oil on the MAF.
The benefits would be their million mile warranty as well as the ease of being able to clean and re-oil.
On the performance end, I'm not knowledgeable of any HP gains over a clean stock paper filter. I believe I read the K&N is designed to collect debris better than stock. So as it gets dirty the K&N will not inhibit flow as much as a dirty stock filter.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:25 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson
I wish someone had a detailed list of information of what modifications were done to the xfr that did 225mph.....I bet it didnt have a factory intake...maybe the filter, but i doubt the intake wasnt modified.
Pulley
Remapped ECU
Intake piping
Exhaust
Flat floor
Boot spolier
Lowered suspension
Spray bar over the intercooler radiator

Apparently it was making 600HP, there are cars on this forum making more than that...

The following users liked this post:
bigdhenderson (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 09:32 PM

I read 650HP somewhere, and I'd love to see a more detailed list of modifications, surely someone somewhere has to know something about it.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:29 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

I have one for sale if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake