Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Consideirng McLaren 12C

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Consideirng McLaren 12C

Hey Gang,

I have been seriously looking at getting a 12C. Initially I wanted a 6spd only and was looking hard at a 14 LP560-2 which could be the absolute last of the manual Lambo's. Then I drove a 12C and was floored by its performance mixed with refinement.

It is like it is from another planet. The shifts, the ride and the warp speed. Wow. The DCT does feel like a proper manual cause it is. I may slightly miss the 3rd pedal but the rest of the package is beyond good. Also, they were nearly $300k well spec'd and can be had for $170k-$200k. Depreciation will likely slow if not flatten.

I was initially thinking DBS 6spd or Vantage V12 but begin thinking they are still too much like my XKR - long nose sleek GT's (albeit prettier). To the average person they aren't very different.

Anyone else driven a 12C? How would you spend $180k if that much budget for a single car?

1) 12C
2) Gallardo
3) Vantage V12
4) 09 or so DBS and save $60k
5) 991TT
6) 06 Murci
4) Wait for Alpha 4C but I think it won't be 6spd. Not enough power to be only pedals if you ask me...

Old 07-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

As much as I love Lamborghinis (V12s) I would go for the 12C. More developed, likely faster, even more exclusive...

Old 07-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I like the mclaren and the prices are much better now that the 650 is out. The other cars I would look at would be 991 gt3, f430 scud, 2015 z06 (650hp/650 tq), and SLS MB. I would go for a 458 coupe if the price point was a little higher. I would steer away from the Astons, because they are too similar to the jag.

If I was in the market right now I would get a new gt3. People are getting their cars back now from the engine swaps- the reviews and videos I have seen are amazing- revving to 9 k rpm and the pdk-s are great.

If u like the 12c, go for it. It's a good buy now and an amazing car!

Old 07-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

No question...go for the "elite" status.

Buy the McLaren!

You will own an extremely rare premium automobile.

Be sure to show us some pics when parked in the driveway.

Living in the geographical area that you do, you have an opportunity for a great selection of automobiles to choose from.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

if i had that budget, i wud buy a xkrs-gt and spend the surplus on mods to blow the mclaren of the road

Old 07-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

If your gonna go.. BOONKERS... Why not trade the ole XK in for a XKR-S GT!!

YEEHAW!!!

Quite a few are available still in the US slighty used.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
Hey Gang,

I have been seriously looking at getting a 12C. Initially I wanted a 6spd only and was looking hard at a 14 LP560-2 which could be the absolute last of the manual Lambo's. Then I drove a 12C and was floored by its performance mixed with refinement.

It is like it is from another planet. The shifts, the ride and the warp speed. Wow. The DCT does feel like a proper manual cause it is. I may slightly miss the 3rd pedal but the rest of the package is beyond good. Also, they were nearly $300k well spec'd and can be had for $170k-$200k. Depreciation will likely slow if not flatten.

I was initially thinking DBS 6spd or Vantage V12 but begin thinking they are still too much like my XKR - long nose sleek GT's (albeit prettier). To the average person they aren't very different.

Anyone else driven a 12C? How would you spend $180k if that much budget for a single car?

1) 12C
2) Gallardo
3) Vantage V12
5) 991TT
6) 06 Murci
4) Wait for Alpha 4C but I think it won't be 6spd. Not enough power to be only pedals if you ask me...

Are you looking for refinement? Performance? what is your criteria? If you are in a position to spend that kind of money then you REALLY need to take a hard look at the 458. It is not going to be as fast but is a far more exciting car to drive and unless you're the stig on a track you'll never notive the difference with the 12C. Anything at that level os going to be amazing. Nothing better really... just merely different.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Go for the McLaren! The British do motoring best...

Old 07-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

McLaren should be much better maintenance-wise over a Ferrari 458 as well as resale especially if it is driven any miles. Make sure you look at the later years as they made significant improvements in the software that were plaguing the cars. MC's are amazing cars!

Regarding getting a XKR-S GT... there little "exclusivity" as the majority of people will think it's only an XK that some Asian turned into a "boy-racer". Same goes for all the 911 models, few really know the difference from a base model to a turbo, etc.

Alpha 4c looks like a base model Lotus done wrong= ewwww.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Can't speak for the the performance or refinement, but I just can't warm up to the McLaren's looks. It just wouldn't please me aesthetically to walk out to it each day. Same with any Lambo, they all look like kit cars, except for the Miura and the Diablo. So, what does that leave, either the Porsche or the Ferrari. I vote Ferrari.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:38 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Go for the McLaren. It's a GT-R killer and an Vanquish all wrapped into one. With the press of a button it morphs from a luxury city car to a hard core track car. No other car comes close to it.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
Hey Gang,

1) 12C
2) Gallardo
3) Vantage V12
5) 991TT
6) 06 Murci
Ford GT!!

What are you looking for? Is the XKR staying or going? If staying, the 991TT, Vantage, and DBS seem a bit redundant to me. If going, I would get the DBS Volant with a clutch pedal. In fact, that is what I intend to do in the future.

What is the purpose of the car? Track car, get the 12C. I have followed one on the track (until the instructor riding with the owner took over the wheel - then I got lapped at a high rate of speed!) and it is one heck of a car. But, there is one in my neighborhood that I see weekly and it just isn't that pretty on the street. Likewise, the Murci and Gallardo just don't do it for me. Hence, my comment above. If you are going for the supercar in that price range, the Ford GT is the winner for me. It is beautiful, rare, and not ostentatious on the level of the others. Not the fastest, but unless you are tracking, who cares?

I used to be all about form over function but find myself more and more captured by the beauty of cars and less concerned with the numbers. At the end of the day, all the cars in this range should keep you happy on the street performance wise.
Alpha 4C just can't get me excited without a clutch pedal and seems outclassed by all the others.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:49 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Tberg and Caviar you both lost me when you said you either can't warm to or don't like the 12C or Murci or Gallardo. While I like the long nose coupe look (owned Viper GTS, 2 M Coupes, XKR, etc) these three look quite good - particularly lowered on wheels. The 12C especially transforms when lowered on wheels - kinda like my NSX's. From just ok exotic - yawn - to down right stupendous when lowered. Very imposing from all angles. I think its their simple organic shape that makes them seem boring but also what makes them leapfrog others with proper stance. Then the doors go up to boot! It's tidy proportions have really grown on me. The one thing I would change is the double air scoop on side. Notice how much cleaner the 2nd orange pic looks when the scoop doesn't look as "double" at that angle. I would prob wrap it matte black to look like an empty scoop.

Did I mention it throws flames when you get on it. Awesome looking at night as you drive off.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Sorry, I just don't like the front end, the rear end, or the side flanks, (what's left). I love Caviar's idea of a Ford GT, find a Hennesy modified one and you can have over 1000 hp. I think the Ford GT is simple, elegant, spectacular! Then again, you coud buy 2 or 3 perfectly restored Panteras, one for street use and the other ready for the track. Jay Leno just bought one.

Attached Thumbnails Consideirng McLaren 12C-vp__3940-1280x853-.jpg  
Old 07-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

These are beautiful cars, absolutely stunning. Very few people have the affordability to own one of these awesome automobiles. If you can afford to buy it, maintain it, then I would go for it. To many this car is only a dream.

Kept in top shape, this car will always maintain a good value. I can't see the depreciation factor anywhere near that of the Jaguar brand.

It sounds like it can become reality for you.

You only live once, enjoy- buy the McLaren.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:11 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

The McLaren is so much more advanced than any other performance car on the road today. It makes the Nissan GT-R, which I owned, look 10 years older. The McLaren out performs the GT-R on the track and it's a street friendly city car. The GT-R is noisy, unrefined, has cheap interior, chatters, and when parking moves and sounds like a tank. The McLaren is light years ahead of any other car today for the price including Ferrari 458 and the new Gallardo. The McLaren stands it a generation of performance cars my itself. It is the ultimate sports car!

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds like your mind is made up on the 12C. If so, enjoy. We forget that so much of this is subjective and in the eyes of the beholder. People bought the Aztec after all - and I am in no way comparing the two! Fortunately there is a wide selection to suit everyone's tastes and sensibilities. We truly have an over abundance of fantastic choices to choose from.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

I'd go with the 12C or find a 458. Gallardos are a dime a dozen. Taking a step off the exotic train I like the 991 turbo. You can't go wrong with a Porsche but they are also a dime a dozen.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

McLaren all the way. Would be my lottery car pick. It's just so far beyond anything it competes with in terms of build and design. Wow! McLaren anything is just amazing.

Can I have a ride in it, lol?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
The McLaren is so much more advanced than any other performance car on the road today.

The McLaren stands it a generation of performance cars my itself. It is the ultimate sports car!
Without a doubt!

Quick Reply: Consideirng McLaren 12C