XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Considering swapping my 05 Super V8 for an XK coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts
Default Considering swapping my 05 Super V8 for an XK coupe

Hi all. I'm usually in the X350 forum as I have an 05 Super V8. I drive it in the Summer and store it in the winter. I think I've put 4000 miles on it in 2 years of ownership.

Both my wife and I love the look of the XK. My wife has interest in the Coupe only so my focus is on the coupe.

I know my car rather intimately but know very little about the XK's.

Ultimately, if I go down this path, I'll find another bloke who wants to trade straight up and I imagine the odds of that are slim...

I know comparing a sport car to a luxury car is apples to oranges so comparing the cars outright isn't valuable, unless someone who's owned or does own both the XK and the XJ, please chime in. I don't expect to necessarily compare features. I'm really thinking overall experience and joy of driving. (and yep, I know that's subjective too)

Nevertheless, for those that have gone from one to other, what did you like?

What did you dislike?

Any regrets?

I know my model holds its book value better. Is that just due to demand or something else?

I posted this initially in the X100 forum and height was called out as an issue. I'm 6'3". If the coupe is too small, that would make this whole thread a non starter.

Opinions are like elbows. Most people have em. I'd appreciate yours, random or specific.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:41 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Best if you sit in one!!

'07 Coupe best Jaguar I ever owned (13)

Cheers, Adrian

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Sean,
I have a 2002 XJ Sport (which my son now drives), a 2002 XKR convertible, and a 2010 XKR coupe. While I love the looks of my 2002 XKR convertible the best, far, far and away the coupe is superior in terms of all driving and handling characteristics; tight suspension with no jiggling like Jello as my 2002 convertible. Much quicker, more responsive transmission, paddle shifters, rev matching, dynamic mode, etc..... I am 6'-2 1/2" and am comfortable in the coupe with the seat all the way back, and headroom is not a problem.

The current generation XK/XKR is a thoroughly modern, great GT car with beautiful, sensual looks. You won't care for the nav/display screen, it's slow screen switching, and the fact that to change radio stations you don't have simple pushbuttons like your current car, but these are minor annoyances compared to its driving abilities.

Test drive one and then report back.

Sean W (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I did a XJ350 to XK move. You'll feel at home very quickly in the XK. Everything makes sense and going from a Saloon to GT; the Jag DNA is dead on. Both cars are the epitome of what they represent and both feel like Jag.

I am quite hot for a Super V8 actually. Been thinking of getting a 4 door car and XJ350 is high on my list. Either that or an older Arnage. Depends on "how much I want to spend for that muffler..."

Sean W (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

I also moved from an X350 (superb!) to an XK (X150 - also superb). I agree with what has been said - the same silky V8 and transmission but now with instantaneous paddle shifters, the same excellent build quality, beautiful wood and leather, smooth and quiet as a touring car, ferocious when asked to really move....but the major difference is in that stunningly beautiful, future-classic coupé body...

Attached Thumbnails Considering swapping my 05 Super V8 for an XK coupe-xk-september-2013-003-small-.jpg   Considering swapping my 05 Super V8 for an XK coupe-xk-september-2013-005-small-.jpg  
Sean W (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you very much for the input. I'm hoping to find one available locally just to sit in one. They aren't common here in Minneapolis.

You've given me enough to start researching though. I still love my Super V8 and have no need to part with it, but I do love the look of the XKR.

I realize finding someone who wants to go the other way (XK to XJ) will not likely happen so this is more of a daydream I suspect.

Also, thanks for not jumping on me for referring to it as a sport car. My bad.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean Wagstaff
Thank you very much for the input. I'm hoping to find one available locally just to sit in one. They aren't common here in Minneapolis.
I too had trouble finding them around Boston. I went to Jaguar dealer drove a new one. They said they had a demo car that could come around, but never happened. They used XK that was beat to sh**, but was a trade-in from loyal customer. Did no go for that one either. Ended up buying a car from Jag dealer in NC and had it shipped to me. Once I was familiar with the car, buying sight unseen worked for me. Car was better than described and was quite happy. I would buy another Jag from them in a heartbeat.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I too had trouble finding them around Boston. I went to Jaguar dealer drove a new one. They said they had a demo car that could come around, but never happened. They used XK that was beat to sh**, but was a trade-in from loyal customer. Did no go for that one either. Ended up buying a car from Jag dealer in NC and had it shipped to me. Once I was familiar with the car, buying sight unseen worked for me. Car was better than described and was quite happy. I would buy another Jag from them in a heartbeat.
Did you buy from Val down in NC? I bought my SV8 from him.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I did exactly what you are contemplating. I went from an 05 XJR to an 07 XK mainly because the XK was the most beautiful thing I had seen in many years. I think you will be pleased with the XK. Performance of the non super charged XK compared to the XJR was remarkable.

For me personally, I still give the edge to the XJ. It was the most satisfactory all around car I ever had. If I had to quibble the seats in the R were not suitable for long trips.

My current ride is a Chrysler 300c with Hemi and touring suspension. Clearly not in the same class with Jags but more suitable to my 77 yr old situation in terms of service availability, long range comfort and more than satisfactory handling.

Sean W (11-04-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

I'm nearing completion of the sale of My Sv8 and am looking at a couple of 07 XK coupes at or under 70k miles. Base is my option (cost) and I am confident I can nail down the right one for close to $20k shipped.

I've been doing National searches and have found enough to pursue but can always keep searching.

My first course of action is to obtain all maintenance and service records. Those are always a deal maker/ breaker for me.

I've read multiple threads here and will focus on the A/C drain issue as well as the Dash leather. I'm also aware of the "sealed for life" transmission, that does in fact require filter and fluid change.

With the X350 models, Air suspension has been an issue for many. Suspension Bushings are often discussed. Dexcool system flush, clogged heater core on drivers side is also common complaint.

Do some or all of these issues translate to the 07's?

Anything else I should deep dive on with potential sellers?

I appreciate any input.

And of course if anyone wishes to part with their 07 base, let me know. My budget is tight however

Last edited by Sean W; 12-10-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Transmission is not "sealed", just like the XJ350. You need to do the kit (pan, oil, filter) as one service. Did it both XJ and XK. AC is a real issue and expect to pay around $900 for the fix. Dash leather... well it's stretching or not. Monthly Lexol or the like should mitigate the issue. My dash was like new the whole time.

Sean W (12-12-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

My dash is fine however the ac drainage is an issue I know it's a fairly simple fix providing you have access to a hoist it just requires the gearbox to be dropped a few cm to gain access to the drainage hose .
Apart from the ac and the dash on somebe sure to replace the thermostat as that usually goes anywhere after 6-8yrs the only other issue I have have is if it's parked outside on a hot day I will get electrical warning messages on my dash like park brake faulty , cat system or pedestrian system fault . In the colder weather or if parked in the garage it's fine it's just the heat that seems to trigger it off

Sean W (12-12-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for your help guys. I put an ad in WTB and am pursuing them online nationally. I should be able to close in on one quickly. There are more available now than even a month ago and I suspect a few more will show up after Christmas.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Good stuff Sean ! Make sure you keep us updated