Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Considering XK vs SL550

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering XK vs SL550

Hi All,

Just found this place and thought i would introduce myself and get some good biased opinions in the process.

The kiddo is finally 16 so i FINALLY get to back to driving convertibles. I'm starting my search now and have narrowed it down to an SL550 (used circa 2011) or a Jaguar XK (11 or 12 most likely). Having owned a couple of SLK's i can vouch for the lack of reliability of MB's. But boy is it a great convertible with the Airscarf and comfort.

I have no experience with Jaguar. I would love to hear about reliability. How do you like your late model XK? Reviews i have read have been overwelmingly positive but don't tell what its like to live with the car. How good is it with the top down. Lots of wind? How's it to park?

Old 12-20-2014, 07:55 PM

Get the XK I have a Mercedes, and the Jag has style! I love the lines and handling of the Xk. A great car.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Get the Jaguar. Style is awesome. Limited quanity that very few people see.

Reliablity is good if well maintained.

Mercedes are a dime a dozen.

The XK vert has an awesome look.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I would suggest you go out a drive a few and see what you think. I don't think you would be disappointed. Welcome to the form and good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Considering XK vs SL550-dsc00079.jpg  
Old 12-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

As always "search is your friend". There are MANY posts here regarding people inquiring about potential purchases. As "looks" and other subjectivity that's up to you. Regarding known issues, maintenance stuff, cost of ownership, mfg standing behind their cars, all those factors are heavily in the Jag favor. I've had a long history on knowing the inner workings of Mercedes for the last 25+ years, I'd have a hard time buying one made after their merger with Chrysler as their quality control went down the tubes, but the looks got much better. There's little exclusivity with any Mercedes if that's a factor to you. My last Merc was purchased brand new, we found the gas gauge didn't work properly, was told that a fix should be ready in 6 mo's. Merc has been known for numerous electrical issues as well as lots of problems with their brakes (Land Rover had brake issues too)

Lastly, when I took Porsche to court for a lemon law issue I asked my attorney who the best and worst mfg's were at the customer end - he said Lexus is by far the best, Merc by far the worst offender.

Good luck

Old 12-20-2014, 09:02 PM

I hear ya. I have been searching. Seems the common complaints are related to the electronics on the Jag so far...but nothing specific. Mostly just sluggish. My experience with the MB was much the same. I loved the car but it was in for service 14 times over the 36 month lease period.

I'm one of those analytical people...that over researches. I want to make sure I like the "specs" and "reviews" before i go out and "feel" the car. I loved my Mercedes too and bought it even though all my research said it was a bad idea. Best way i find to learn about a car is definitely talk to people that enjoy them enough to talk about them in places like this.

The following users liked this post:
ram_g (07-05-2022)
Old 12-20-2014, 09:04 PM

One other thing. Are there XK Years that are preferred over others. 11 has new interior and facelift i see. Other years that are preferred?

Old 12-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

2012 was the first year that the rear view camera (integrated in the touchscreen) became standard equipment. Wish I had it in my 2009, which I bought in 2010 and still love and don't plan to sell. Look for THE ONE in the colors you like and the options that you must have. Adaptive Cruise Control is rare if that is important to you. You may have to search nationwide for a low mileage CPO convertible, and it may take some time to find it. As for wind noise and buffeting with the top down, you'll be pleasantly surprised provided you get a wind deflector (easy installation) and the remote top kit with the optional rear window control offered by WhiteXKR (Steve) on this Forum. I have both and my cabin is very calm at 70mph with the top down, rear wind deflector up, and all 4 windows up.

The MBZ has more whizbang gadgets but the XKR has a more sensual body. I'm old school and prefer the classic all leather and wood interior. Only Rolls, Bentley and Aston Martin do it better than Jaguar.

The search function on this Forum will be a great help in your quest for information on the XKR.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 12-21-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:38 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

I don't know what your budget is but would opt for latest model year you can afford in the "R". I have a MB SLK 55 AMG with a speed shift transmission. Although it shifts quicker than the regular non AMG model it is much slower than the 6 sp ZF in my XKR. If you have the opportunity take an "R" out for a test drive with the dynamic mode on and shifter in "S". Use the paddles to shift and you will find it shifts very quick compared to a BM. The driving experience of the XK is just as smooth and luxurious as the MB and much more engaged.

I'm on my second XKR and have no complaints or problems.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by jakepratt
How's it to park?
It's longer than the Mercedes by over a foot. It's hard to know where the front end is when parking.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
It's longer than the Mercedes by over a foot. It's hard to know where the front end is when parking.
I find the front park sensors do a good job in keeping the nose safe. As for the rear I think you really need the back up camera especially with the top up.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

You came for an advice to the Jag forum. Hard to guess what choice recommendations you will get :-).

Depending on what you value in a car; if looks and good performance is your primary interest, you will be very happy with a 5.0 XK. I am on my 5th late model Jag and reliability has been excellent with all of them.

If you are also VERY performance oriented, you should seriously consider the '10 or later XKR. Not only that it has loads more power but, the suspension is tuned for more precise handling and it also has a better steering rack for better road feel.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:54 AM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

I have owned 5 Mercedes vehicles in the past 8 years (all Germany built E class models, wagons and sedans) and I have been very impressed and satisfied with their quality and reliability. I cannot comment on the SL from an ownership perspective but I decided against it because I wanted two rear seats when I finally had the means to get a convertible performance car and the SL's are very common where I live. I was drawn to my current 2012 XKR vert because of the looks primarily but also because of the kid friendly seats in the back, and the sound of that 510 hp engine.

My research concluded that the XK model line, especially from 2010 on with the 5 litre engine, was extremely reliable, very rare compared to the SL, and the sound was far more visceral than any SL I tested. Folks out there are still stuck on the reliability issues of past Jags. If you can get past that and look at the facts, you will find that the XK is one of the most reliable vehicles (as long as you keep the battery plugged in to a good maintainer when stored. See CTEK 3300 on the forum).

I plan to keep mine for many, many years. I do really like the SL line and especially the SL63, but the XKR, now that production has stopped, will be a collectors car in my opinion. Jaguar's current focus on the F-type and a rumoured larger (read far more expensive) Bentley GT type XK in future, make the 2012+ XK models very compelling...

Just my "biased opinion" of course!

Barry Leftwich (03-09-2020)
Old 12-21-2014, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

Park a SL next to a XK and the decision from a visual stand point is a easy one. Get the XKR option. ALL Jags need a battery tender, not sure why it's not a factory option.

Last edited by 1 of 19; 12-21-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jakepratt
One other thing. Are there XK Years that are preferred over others. 11 has new interior and facelift i see. Other years that are preferred?
It's all in what you are looking for. It took me 6 months to find one I liked. I opted for looking for a 2012 which was in my price range yet had all of the latest updates of the 5.0L cars. It is the same as the 2015 models so it's the last of the blood lines. Do some research on the differences from the 2011 to the 2012. Also what is your color choice. In XK models you have a much better color selection available where in the XKR series it seemed limited to Black , Silver/Gray or White. Finding another color was difficult but if you go for the ones listed you can find several cars and at a reasonable price. Also the difference in the 385 HP vs the 510 HP is a significant thrill but in every day traffic it doesn't matter. If I could have found a XKR-S at my price and year I would have purchased it but it was above my range. The changes that I wanted were the LED headlight feature , the back up camera and the 500+ HP all in a convertible. I got it and am happy. So what ever you get whether it be the SL or the XK enjoy the ride.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:12 PM

I plan to use this as a daily driver. I'm in Oklahoma so we get very few bad weather days. Is a battery tender necessary for a daily driver or just when you let it sit. I know my 528 is very picky if the battery goes dead but never had a problem driving every day.

I'm considering the XKR but honestly, the XK is plenty of power for me. I would like to find a good color (red) and Adaptive Cruise so i expect that a multi-month search is going to be what it takes. My current car (lease) is up in July so i am going to start looking in Jan/Feb and grab the first 12 i can find for the right price. I'm planning 50-60k which seems a reasonable price.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I use my XKR as a daily drive after having had 2 XFs, so essentially I've been driving Jags since 2008. First, I don't think that the XKR is any less an ideal daily drive than the XF. The ride is gorgeous, the turning circle is great, it is actually pretty practical with the amount of stuff you can get in the boot (coupe, I don't know about the 'vert), and even though the power takes a little getting used to, it can be driven very moderately, i.e. it isn't really twitchy, except maybe in the wet. And having had the 5.0 in the XF, it does have plenty of power and to some extent I think that you can throw it around more, because the XKR can be a little too extreme with the hammer down, though I'm used to it now. But I'd look at the XKR over the XK only for the standard inclusions. And the bonnet vents, which were a "must have" for me.

I've left each of my jags including the XKR for about 2 weeks a year when I go for an overseas trip. It has never run flat on me, always started first time. My mum's Toyota 86 on the other hand seems to go dead if it is left for a week, which I think is a common issue. So I think as a daily drive you aren't going to need the charger.

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 12-21-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

This may be overkill. I have been driving Jaguars for 40 years. In my opinion there is no other car built that can compare with a Jaguar. I am currently driving a 2012 XK vert as a daily driver. It is the best one yet. We have taken it on several road trips one about 2k miles and several in the 500 - 1k category. Nary a problem. My vert is equipped with a wind deflector from Adamesh and White XK's remote top and rear window actuator in addition to a Mina exhaust system and an ETG tune. The car now puts out 425 BHP on a dyno, sounds amazing and gets slightly better gas mileage.

The bottom line on this car for me is This is hands down the best Jaguar I have ever owned in terms of style, comfort, handling and reliability. Take your time and get a CPO 12 or later vert and you can't go wrong.

Welcome to the forum and good hunting!!

DGL (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
...My vert is equipped with a wind deflector from Adamesh and White XK's remote top and rear window actuator in addition to a Mina exhaust system and an ETG tune. The car now puts out 425 BHP on a dyno, sounds amazing and gets slightly better gas mileage.

Welcome to the forum and good hunting!!
Are you sure of those numbers? A NA 5.0 putting out 425 BHP? That is XKR territory! Do you mean that to be the calculated crank-shaft power or the dyno-measured Rear Wheel HPower? I would be surprised if any tune to a NA 5.0 could gain that much rear wheel power.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:23 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

I wish there was a new gt style coupe with f body lines instead. The XK is fun but the 6 speed trans sux. I prefer the 8 spd that's in all the other lines.
The S Mercedes is more in line with the XJ. Personally the XJ is a beast (as an R). I would go E550 or E63 over the S.

Quick Reply: Considering XK vs SL550