XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Contrast stitching DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:38 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Contrast stitching DIY

Being impressed with the contrast stitching of the 2010-on I wondered and researched what could be done with a prior model. I fell across someone who's work looked amazing so I wanted to emulate it when I got my XK... that time has come. Perusing his posting you can see both good and bad attempts. I knew how I wanted to go abouts doing it but also felt it VERY important to use thread that could withstand the sun (in my convertible) and wear and tear. That took me to "Superior Threads" (sales lady Ellen Franch was an delight to work with!) and I'm using there color #011 Metal Gray thread size #207 in "Solar Guard" bonded polyester this is thread used for upolstry and umbrellas to can withstand the elements... others were using simple threads from Michaels but that won't last long at all and will fade when exposed to the sun.

here is the original NSX site where I saw the work - http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...olor-Stitching

Here's a couple pics of the work I did today with a sample of thread Ellen sent me, I've got 2000 yards coming in the next couple days sadly I'll likely only use @100 yards of it. You'll need a curved needle which can be found at most Walmarts, Michael's, any sewing shop for a couple dollars, thread will cost me @$24 shipped, plus a lot of time invested. Something else pretty cool about this is that it is 100% reversible with no ill effects at all. Any questions fire away...

just started this, first few stitches

Last edited by Leeper; 12-17-2015 at 08:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Looks good, but the patience I wouldn't have......
Thanks for sharing

Old 12-17-2015, 09:19 PM
Banned

Surprisingly once you start it goes pretty quickly. Deciding which direction to do it in takes some forethought as does not perforating the leather itself and just going through the thread takes a bit of touch. All said I bet it'll take me maybe 15 hours total done over a couple weeks. Only got @ 1 hour so far and getting the hang of it. Biggest challenge is threading the damn needle and seeing the stitches at times

Old 12-17-2015, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I admire your patience and perseverance
Its a really cool cheap mod with great effect

Old 12-17-2015, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

very cool!! Nice job!!

Old 12-17-2015, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Nice work mate!

Old 12-17-2015, 11:47 PM
Banned

Thank you guys but I'm just a plagiarizer, loved the look that someone FAR more creative than me did so copied his work. Thought I'd share... when I get more done I'll post more pics

Old 12-18-2015, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
Being impressed with the contrast stitching of the 2010-on I wondered and researched what could be done with a prior model. I fell across someone who's work looked amazing so I wanted to emulate it when I got my XK... that time has come. Perusing his posting you can see both good and bad attempts. I knew how I wanted to go abouts doing it but also felt it VERY important to use thread that could withstand the sun (in my convertible) and wear and tear. That took me to "Superior Threads" (sales lady Ellen Franch was an delight to work with!) and I'm using there color #011 Metal Gray thread size #207 in "Solar Guard" bonded polyester this is thread used for upolstry and umbrellas to can withstand the elements... others were using simple threads from Michaels but that won't last long at all and will fade when exposed to the sun.

here is the original NSX site where I saw the work - http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...olor-Stitching

Here's a couple pics of the work I did today with a sample of thread Ellen sent me, I've got 2000 yards coming in the next couple days sadly I'll likely only use @100 yards of it. You'll need a curved needle which can be found at most Walmarts, Michael's, any sewing shop for a couple dollars, thread will cost me @$24 shipped, plus a lot of time invested. Something else pretty cool about this is that it is 100% reversible with no ill effects at all. Any questions fire away...

just started this, first few stitches

This is amazing this is exactly what the Jag needs to bring its interior up to
'Prestigious standards'
I saw an Aston today and the first thing that jumped out at me was the red-stitching its these small touches that make the vehicle feel more special

Old 12-18-2015, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Leeper

Are you able to suggest starting points that would make this job easier i.e. with dash start on left handside and work across to the right or does it not make a difference .
Also when starting and ending the stitching you have a knot is this knot tied around the original thread to lock it into place

Old 12-18-2015, 08:18 PM
Banned

I'm just winging it to be honest. I read each page on that site provided after being so impressed with his results. Knowing its easily reversible, and being I only had a sample piece of thread @ 2' long, I started in a couple places that took the least amount as shown in my pics.

As for how to start - Take a good look as to which direction you are going (meaning clockwise or counter-clockwise) to start the stitch as it was contrary to what I would have thought. It depends on which way the stitching is already going. I tie a small knot in the end of my thread then pass my needle through the existing thread on the car, start my first stitch, pull the thread through to the knot then go on stitching.
be careful when using the curved needle to not puncture the leather as you slide the needle under the thread... you'll get the hang of it quickly. About every 5th stitch it helps to let the thread unwind as each stitch creates a wind. I also do not tie a knot at the needle end, this would cause a big end to pull through the stitch instead I just keep about 3-5" of extra thread through the needle eye. When I get to the other end usually its at at place where it won't show so I just clip it close with scissors and let it be, no need to tie it off as this is purely aesthetic not structural.

I've got the minimum amount of thread (2000 yards!) showing up here Monday so I'll commence this project then and will post more pics. Next up will be around the instrument panel then around the dash.
Remember this can be done with many different colors to suit your mood or car color.

Being I ran out of thread today's project was vinyl wrapping the dash wood pieces in 3m gloss black, came out pretty nice!

Any other questions fire away

Last edited by Leeper; 12-18-2015 at 08:24 PM.
BruceTheQuail (12-19-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Leeper
I assume you are not removing the existing color matched thread and are simply wrapping the new thread around the existing using the same puncture holes?

Old 12-18-2015, 08:46 PM
Banned

Correct, only using the existing thread to anchor the "accent" or contrast threading hence why its reversible. Putting my thread under the existing thread then around to next one

Level of difficulty is VERY low but does take decent eye sight and some decent patience. Monday or Tuesday I'll try to complete most of the dash, a door panel, and maybe start a seat (that'll be tougher I think as those threads don't look easily accessible). If I get that far then I'll post some new pics otherwise it may take until Tuesday afternoon. I figure the whole project may take another week or so if the weather holds.

BruceTheQuail (12-19-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts

Being impressed with the contrast stitching of the 2010-on I wondered and researched what could be done with a prior model. ...
Leeper,

Your workmanship is impressive, as is your patience! I just want to set the record straight that contrast stitching began prior to the 2010 5.0L models.

Contrast stitching was standard equipment on the 2008 and 2009 XKR Portfolio models. For 2008, the XKR Portfolio came with either (1) Warm Charcoal leather with Ivory contrast stitching or (2) Ivory leather with Slate Blue contrast stitching. For 2009, the XKR Portfolio came with either (1) Charcoal leather with Cranberry contrast stitching or (2) Ivory leather with Slate contrast stitching.

Here's my 2009 XKR Portfolio with Ivory leather and Slate contrast stitching. Note that the Slate leather dashboard has Ivory contrast stitching and the Ivory seats, etc., have Slate contrast stitching:

I don't know if contrast stitching was part of the optional Luxury Package, available from 2007-2009. Hopefully, an owner will let us know.

Stuart

Old 12-18-2015, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Leeper;1367528]I'm just winging it to be honest. I read each page on that site provided after being so impressed with his results. Knowing its easily reversible, and being I only had a sample piece of thread @ 2' long, I started in a couple places that took the least amount as shown in my pics.

As for how to start - Take a good look as to which direction you are going (meaning clockwise or counter-clockwise) to start the stitch as it was contrary to what I would have thought. It depends on which way the stitching is already going. I tie a small knot in the end of my thread then pass my needle through the existing thread on the car, start my first stitch, pull the thread through to the knot then go on stitching.
be careful when using the curved needle to not puncture the leather as you slide the needle under the thread... you'll get the hang of it quickly. About every 5th stitch it helps to let the thread unwind as each stitch creates a wind. I also do not tie a knot at the needle end, this would cause a big end to pull through the stitch instead I just keep about 3-5" of extra thread through the needle eye. When I get to the other end usually its at at place where it won't show so I just clip it close with scissors and let it be, no need to tie it off as this is purely aesthetic not structural.

I've got the minimum amount of thread (2000 yards!) showing up here Monday so I'll commence this project then and will post more pics. Next up will be around the instrument panel then around the dash.
Remember this can be done with many different colors to suit your mood or car color.

Being I ran out of thread today's project was vinyl wrapping the dash wood pieces in 3m gloss black, came out pretty nice!

Any other questions fire away[/

I'm thinking silver on mine

Old 12-19-2015, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

Leeper
The steering wheel looks challenging im glad your going first on this project !

Old 12-19-2015, 12:15 AM
Banned

Hehehe don't think I'll do the steering wheel. My M3 had red and blue stitching on the steering wheel but will likely leave it alone in my Jag

Old 12-19-2015, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member

Hehehe don't think I'll do the steering wheel. My M3 had red and blue stitching on the steering wheel but will likely leave it alone in my Jag
I'm currently sitting my car with a sowing kit testing out which color looks the best haha

Old 12-19-2015, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
I'm currently sitting my car with a sowing kit testing out which color looks the best haha

This is the e550 contrast

FrickenJag (12-24-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 12:56 AM
Banned

Thanks Stuart for pointing that out, didn't know about the Portfolio having that stitching thought it was just 2010+.

As for colors I started with buying some red thread but found not only was it too small to look right (was size #92) but didn't think red fit my interior well. I had Superior send me out samples of both their Gray and Metal gray (silver) and I went with the metal gray. Happy with the color now just waiting for the spool to arrive.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Stuart for pointing that out, didn't know about the Portfolio having that stitching thought it was just 2010+.

As for colors I started with buying some red thread but found not only was it too small to look right (was size #92) but didn't think red fit my interior well. I had Superior send me out samples of both their Gray and Metal gray (silver) and I went with the metal gray. Happy with the color now just waiting for the spool to arrive.
Trial run

Quick Reply: Contrast stitching DIY