XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Convertible Latch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convertible Latch Problem

I have a 2008 xkr convertible and the top wont latch. My quarter windows are stuck open and the latch won't engage. Its stuck..won't release or lock. Has anybody had a problem like this before and know how to fix it?

by the way, there is no luggage compartment issue since the tray is down and I have also tried using the allen wrench to lock it manually but that wont work either.

The following users liked this post:
Christopher Mayers (07-17-2020)
Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I am unable to answer your question. The hyd system on your car is not the same as the 1997 – 2006 cars. However please post the problem when you find it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gus:
Christopher Mayers (07-14-2020), m2zoo4u (04-11-2023)
Old 02-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same problem with my 08 convertible. I think (it has been several jag train wrecks ago...plus alot of beer to blunt the unending pain) what I did was to open the hydraulic valve on the pump in the trunk. Manually open the top (after you open the valve) to allow the top to be lowered and cover cycled appropriately....ie lift the rear of the top to clear the cover opening/closing and vice versa) and you will have to manually cycle the cover as well to allow the top to sit down into the trunk. Then close everything up with the top down and the cover down and close the hydraulic valve. Try the top now and see if it works. As I recall it seemed to me when mine did this that the top got confused as to where it was and then simply stopped working....this seemed to reset everything and all was OK (after many iterations of different things). If that doesn't work report back here and I'll see if I can remember any other critical details (I'll start drinking heavily now as I recall it took ALOT of beer to get that ******* working again)

DarkCusp (03-21-2024)
Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I am so glad to see that Jaguar successfully addressed all of their weird electrical gremlins and quirks with the later models--NOT!

Doug

DarkCusp (03-21-2024)
Old 03-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gdrag is right the electronics get confused and you need to open the top fully to rest the start point. I was told that the best way to avoid the problem was to always keep the roof moving once you have started to open or close it. That is do not stop the opening or closing operation once you have started the process. I only had this problem once (in the first week I drove the car) and it has never reoccurred since. I guess sticking to the "no stop" routine did the trick.

Christopher Mayers (07-17-2020)
Old 03-03-2011, 02:15 PM

Wow...that's great. Good to know that my alcoholism due to Jaguar foibles will have a proper outlet of redemption....

DarkCusp (03-21-2024)
Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 AM

I did the same thing, that procedure is described in the manual.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah as other's have said, it states it in the manual on resetting it. It also says if you stop at any position mid way, it screws with it and you have to reset it. Manual tells where wrench is too.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:50 AM

I will be checking in for help in the future to sort out these problems and advise me what conditions constitutes requiring messed up electronics/mechanics to be "reset" and follow on action to repair (such as look at the manual stupid...you guys can replace stupid with your favorite expletive when it is me)....I don't know about anyone else but I sure didn't make the leap when my top messed up that it required a "manual reset". I am glad to see we have some fellows on this list that have broken out of that universal stereotypical meme for guys that “manuals are taboo”…maybe there is hope for the male species.
Having been exposed to British nuances for a hundred years (ok….maybe not a hundred) I guess maybe I always assume the worst (aka, I am on my own and screwed to boot). This sad tragic story all started over thirty years ago in a lone MG on a dark interstate in the middle of mountains several hundred miles from nowhere (New Mexico) at o'dark thirty in the morning when every friggin light on my trusty Lucas bedazzled MG suddenly went out at 70 miles an hour....you have not lived a full life until you have had the car lights go out (and I mean every damn one of em,) at interstate speed on a dark night (there wasn't even moonlight)....to this day I don't think it has ever been darker than that faithful night. I can tell you all you can do is keep the steering wheel straight and hope by god the road does not turn ahead of you. Of course me being my normal well prepared, diligent sort, I had no light (this was wayyyyy before the handy cell phone backlight), not even a match...I got the splendid opportunity to fix that one by feel (which I did)...funny how a predicament can motivate ingenuity…that night I could have invented the motor of zero point energy…who is John Galt anyway?
This all kinda reminds me of when I checked some fuses on the 08 XKR and apparently caused it to go into "lockdown" (Jaguar nomenclature for it thought it was being stolen), yeah I know.....I should have known something silly like checking fuses would cause a complete car shutdown. I mean it would do nothing, ate the key when I tried inserting it into the holder (and then would not give it up), and would not budge or make a living response at all. A call to Jaguar service let me know I was "screwed" (not his words but my translation of mister fancy pants in depth analysis) and there was no way to recover short of a complete car "reset" required at the dealer....and his final response?, "would you like us to send a flat bed sir" (I could tell he didn't know me when he used the "sir" courtesy....all of the guys that personally know me would have had an expletive of some sort and then spitting when addressing me).
I am just the sort of fellow to consider that a challenge (you know....it is "impossible" to fix). Please realize this is Texas and we do this sort of self immolation with regularity....go visit our Alamo if you don't believe me (btw I can personally say that is NOT a good thing and maybe you guys can learn from our terrible affliction)…This might be a good time to also council the younger fellows variations of this theme and let them also know it is also never a good idea to tell a group of guys in a bar “it will take every damn one of you”… even tho it factually was true and it did take every damn one of them…after I got out of the hospital I decided sometimes telling the truth isn’t all it’s cacked up to be...
So anyway, back to the lockdown boondoggle…I had a couple of cases of beer that were sitting there just begging to be consumed for the “lockdown challenge”.... to make a long story short I got it going sans Jaguar service
So I scanned the manual (I might add first time I have had it out for my latest generation of felines) page 148 for top reset....now I’ll be checking back with you guys so ya’all can tell me when I need a reset (please reference manual page number as I get the shakes when holding one) as opposed to a sip of beer to save what is left of my liver...

Old 03-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by seismicguy
i am so glad to see that jaguar successfully addressed all of their weird electrical gremlins and quirks with the later models--not!

Doug
there are very few issues with that top and most center around loss of battery voltage causing the windows to not be timed and the top wont function correctly when theyre no tprogrammed. Program the windows and press and hold the top switch till it operates. Open fully and then close again. You may have to do it several times. And if you messed with the pump valve make sure its closed. The last 1 i did the customer didnt mention he jacked with it which wasted my time for a simple problem.

tommytess (07-14-2020)
Old 03-04-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by seismicguy
i am so glad to see that jaguar successfully addressed all of their weird electrical gremlins and quirks with the later models--not!

Doug
there are very few issues with that top and most center around loss of battery voltage causing the windows to not be timed and the top wont function correctly when theyre no tprogrammed. Program the windows and press and hold the top switch till it operates. Open fully and then close again. You may have to do it several times. And if you messed with the pump valve make sure its closed. The last 1 i did the customer didnt mention he jacked with it which wasted my time for a simple problem. Or like others have stated you never stop mid travel

Old 03-04-2011, 12:54 PM

I would qualify the "don't stop" in the middle as probably a good idea but I would also say that I had my top stopped many, many times going up and down and only had it fritz out once. So to anyone that is feeling like they have just committed a mortal sin by slipping off the up/down button...relax. And a slight reminder for those wondering why that damn top won't even start to retract at all (now that the weather is improving)...the luggage retractable cover is always a first check as it won't allow top to retract when it is not in position (yeah...I have to admit this was prolly at least a six pack...I'm not proud of it...just sayin).

Christopher Mayers (07-14-2020)
Old 03-04-2011, 01:51 PM

I stop them too, but you can easily end up with issues as a owner. I will say that most people do not press and hold the top button long enough to start the top working again. many press and hold and then let go too soon before the top starts to operate and theis will cause more of an issue that a start and stop. So we always say to NOT start and stop mid, or any travel till fully opened or closed

Old 03-05-2011, 02:57 AM

Don't know about your owner's manual but... back when I bought MY xkr, page one of the o.m. read: "IF YOU HAVE BOUGHT THIS CAR POST-WARRANTY, YOU ARE PRETTY MUCH FVKD". Which I had not. Nor did you. Not to be an *** but, if it's an '08 why not just bring it back to the DEALER
Any questions, issues, or discrcrepancies should be covered by your factory warranty. With courtesy. And free coffee. At no charge. After all Isn't that why you bought a newer car to begin with? Unless of course you've already driven your '08 50k miles. In which case, well, I guess you're pretty much FVKD. Or just break out the allen wrench and a raincoat .

Last edited by JimC64; 03-05-2011 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Improper word - The ALTERNATIVE word is NOT used here!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't forget the owner's manual is only one man's opinion!

Old 03-05-2011, 08:47 AM

And Ed why would you want to spend your time and money to run to a dealer that would do something that you could do with either a quick read in the owners manual, or advise here in MUCH less time.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Xk8

Originally Posted by Gus
I am unable to answer your question. The hyd system on your car is not the same as the 1997 – 2006 cars. However please post the problem when you find it.
Roof still unable to open changed oil used key loosening catch and cleaned tried again making all right noises but not opening can I reset system

Old 07-14-2020, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Christopher,

This is the X150 Forum, for the aluminum-bodied XK/XKR models from 2006(7) - 2015. You didn't state your car's model year, but if it's an XK8 it's the previous X100 and you should repost your inquiry here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/

Forum member WhiteXKR (Steve, The Jag Wrangler) is the convertible top expert and he might be able to help you. You can PM him.

Good luck!

Stuart

Old 07-14-2020, 10:36 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Not sure what you have going on with your roof but I will try to help. Your posting on several threads makes it hard to figure out what the problem is.

I see that you have replaced the fluid in the tank and that is a good thing if it had the brown fluid. Hard to say without the year of your car but did you fill it to the top embossed line?

If you are trying to open the roof manually you need to do 3 things. 1) open the petcock, 2) open the latch manually and 3) unlock both rear rams. The roof will not open unless the rams are unlocked. Just know that the quarter windows will not close if the rams are not locked.

If your latch is opening when you open the roof electrically using the button and the latch opens and the roof does not retract the problem could be low fluid level, one of the solenoids on the pump is not working or a bad relay or the computers are just confused. If the system is confused you will need to do a hard reset with the roof system fully closed or fully open.

May I suggest that you start your own thread so that we can follow your sequence of events and get you up and running again.

Link wiring diagram JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Link to pump operation

Link to roof testing JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

I hope this helps.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Convertible latch problem

Thank you guys if you could run me through hard reset roof is currently closed

Quick Reply: Convertible Latch Problem