XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Convertible Top Maintenance with 303 Aerospace

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts
Default Convertible Top Maintenance with 303 Aerospace

This video shows the extreme hydrophobic water beading on a 2009 Jaguar XKR Convertible Top after the 303 Aerospace Fabric Guard product was brushed on. I recommend this product and suggest brushing the solution on rather than spraying due to possible overspray onto glass and paint surfaces.

The video was produced today 10/10/2016 washing the Jaguar XKR.

When washing or spraying a water hose on a convertible top, if you don't see this hydrophobic water beading, runoff, and remaining water crystals, you most likely need to treat the tops fabric surface.

This should be done at a minimum annually. I do mine about every 6 to 9 months.

The following 3 users liked this post by richzak:
finance1 (10-22-2016), Orthodixie (10-22-2017), sklimii (10-11-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Richard,
Well done! Your windshield header beads up nicely, too.
Just curious - how often does it rain where you live in the desert?
Stuart

Old 10-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Richard,
Well done! Your windshield header beads up nicely, too.
Just curious - how often does it rain where you live in the desert?
Stuart
The entire XKR has been nano-ceramic coated. That includes all paint surfaces, glass, and wheels.

I highly recommend the nano-ceramic coatings.

We don't get much rain. The averages are about 8" to 10" per year. Not much, as I live in the Chihuahuan Desert.

The Jaguar XKR never sees rain or any of my other premium cars. If it is forecast to rain, the XKR does not hit the rain. It would be very rare the XKR gets caught in an intermittent rain shower.

When not driven the XKR is always garaged and covered as well as my other 2 sports cars, Porsche 981 and Corvette C7. The reason being when the wind blows there is no dust, it usually microscopic desert sands. Even though we call the storms "dust storms".

This is a different part of the world for many. The ecosystem of the Chihuahuan Desert is simply amazing. Been here for 45 years and simply love it.

Attached Thumbnails Convertible Top Maintenance with 303 Aerospace-chihuahuan-desert.jpg   Convertible Top Maintenance with 303 Aerospace-chihuahuan-desert-2.jpg  
Old 10-11-2016, 07:26 AM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

The 303 Aerospace stuff is very good, I used to use it on my wife's old MX-5 (Miata to you chaps over the pond), it worked very well. Also works well on similar exterior fabrics, e.g. certain garden furniture etc.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Agreed, I use it also, it is a great product.

Although I wonder on whether it is needed at all? I used it on my BMW fabric top, my buddy never treated or did anything at all to his top. Same amount of time and they both looked the same and performed the same. This in Florida with abusive sun and daily ran during the summer.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
Agreed, I use it also, it is a great product.

Although I wonder on whether it is needed at all? I used it on my BMW fabric top, my buddy never treated or did anything at all to his top. Same amount of time and they both looked the same and performed the same. This in Florida with abusive sun and daily ran during the summer.
I seriously doubt the BMW that was non-treated could not compare to the BMW that was treated.

The water beading on a treated top will be very evident. Perhaps they may have looked the same, but did you see water repel off the non-treated top the same as the treated top?

Old 10-11-2016, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by 8bit
The 303 Aerospace stuff is very good, I used to use it on my wife's old MX-5 (Miata to you chaps over the pond), it worked very well. Also works well on similar exterior fabrics, e.g. certain garden furniture etc.
Yep, I've always said the Miata is a girls' car.
+1billion on the 303.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
I seriously doubt the BMW that was non-treated could not compare to the BMW that was treated.

The water beading on a treated top will be very evident. Perhaps they may have looked the same, but did you see water repel off the non-treated top the same as the treated top?
You are correct, the water did not bead. My question is whether that matters, it looks great and we all feel that we are protecting the material and proud of the effort to make it bead (me included). It would absorb water and become wet but there was no negative effect, his top looked the same as mine with no color fade and it didn't leak at all. Mine was a 2006 so was his, same material and same age.

I wonder how many people on this board have never used any top protectant, for that matter how many who bought these cars new on lease and never put this effort into upkeep.

The following users liked this post:
franksm (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I followed Richards recommendation and brushed 303 on to my black convertible top. It beads nicely and because i brushed it on, there was good coverage and minimal mess. I will also add that once applied the top looked 'refreshed and the colour appears richer'. In addition, this product is recommended by Sunbrella, known for their uv resistant materials. Thats a pretty good endorsement from a reputable company. Hard to say if it makes a difference in the long run but I feel much more comfortable now that it is applied especially since im looking to keep and maintain my car for several years.

richzak (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by themorningman
I followed Richards recommendation and brushed 303 on to my black convertible top. It beads nicely and because i brushed it on, there was good coverage and minimal mess. I will also add that once applied the top looked 'refreshed and the colour appears richer'. In addition, this product is recommended by Sunbrella, known for their uv resistant materials. Thats a pretty good endorsement from a reputable company. Hard to say if it makes a difference in the long run but I feel much more comfortable now that it is applied especially since im looking to keep and maintain my car for several years.
themorningman:

Maintaining the top with a protectant will make the top last much longer and will help prevent dry rot when water does not bead or repel off the surface and penetrates the fabric surface of the top.

So glad you tried the brush method. It is pretty much fool proof on the application. My top is now 7 years old and still looks like new.

The 303 Aerospace Fabric Guard is also highly recommended for marine applications. Many boaters use the product. While it takes a bit of time to complete the method I have suggested, you will not be disappointed when washing the top or when it rains. Additionally, you avoided any overspray and saved time from masking and using newspaper or cloth to protect the glass and painted surfaces.

Good job, thanks for the feedback. Hopefully, others will follow and test my suggestion for applying the solution. You are now a living testimonial.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I masked or draped a towel over the windows when I sprayed the convertible top. Was using Ragtopp's, but I bet they are both quite similar. 303 makes good products.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

I used Raggtop with my Porsche many years ago. May switch to that as the 303 doesn't seem to last as long in the Florida weather. From the reviews I read on Raggtop folks in Florida are getting a full year out of the Raggtop application. Only time will tell if this is accurate or not, not a knock on the 303 as it performs well but I can always strive for better.

Can't hurt to try...are you using the 2141 Fabric Protectant?

Old 10-19-2016, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Can't hurt to try...are you using the 2141 Fabric Protectant?
It was so long ago, I can't remember, but it was a fabric top (Honda S2000). My car was in Boston for 4 years and never once saw a garage. Top was in incredible condition. I sprayed 2x a year

tampamark (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 07:43 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I used Raggtop with my Porsche many years ago. May switch to that as the 303 doesn't seem to last as long in the Florida weather.
There are several videos and reviews of both products on the net. You really need to make a decision and pick one and see how you like it. I live just outside of Toronto Canada where we get both hot and cold extremes. Perhaps using Richards recommendation and brushing on the 303 may yield better results. Either product should work as intended. Just how long it lasts may depend on several factors.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

I have done both with 303, brush and currently with spray. I have found no difference in longevity. Just a difference in how much product I used to accomplish the protection.

Maybe I will try half and half and test it side by side.

Last edited by tampamark; 10-20-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You generated commerce- just bought on Amazon for my new (to me) XK.

Q- I see mention of brushing. What sort of brush (don't want to accidently damage)

Old 10-22-2016, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by finance1
You generated commerce- just bought on Amazon for my new (to me) XK.

Q- I see mention of brushing. What sort of brush (don't want to accidently damage)
You can buy a 2" or 3" wide high quality paint brush at any big box store like Lowe's or Home Depot or even a local hardware store.

Just don't buy a "chip" brush.

Pour the solution into a cup and brush out of the cup. The 303 normally turns white when applied, and will dry clear.

Brushing the 303 on will penetrate the fabric better than spraying. Take your time, and make sure the top is washed with a detergent liquid soap like a Dawn brand, rinsed and dried thoroughly before applying the 303.

The results will be spectacular.

Last edited by richzak; 10-22-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak

This is a different part of the world for many. The ecosystem of the Chihuahuan Desert is simply amazing. Been here for 45 years and simply love it.

Hijacking this thread a bit, but I fully agree Richard. I made my first visit to the Chihuahuan Desert a couple of years ago when we went to Big Bend National Park and into New Mexico and it's beauty is almost indescribable.

Sadly, I was dissatisfied with nearly every picture I took because it didn't capture the true beauty of this Desert. Beautiful country.

richzak (10-22-2016)