XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Convertible Top Out Of Position

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Top Out Of Position

I am the proud owner of a 2007 Jaguar XK Convertible. The dash is showing a warning that says "Convertible Top Is Out Of Position" and the 2 small back windows wont roll up. I have taken it to 2 very reputable shops that gave me 2 different conclusions. The first shop says that it needs a new Ram Rod because the signals are stopping there and the sensors are not working. The second is telling me that I need a new pump because the signals are stopping at the pump. I spoke with a friend at an out of state Jaguar dealership in the service department and he said he "hardly ever" sees a pump go bad. I was hoping someone else has had the same warning light or experience and can guide me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

Christian

Old 07-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by jchristianolin
I am the proud owner of a 2007 Jaguar XK Convertible. The dash is showing a warning that says "Convertible Top Is Out Of Position" and the 2 small back windows wont roll up. I have taken it to 2 very reputable shops that gave me 2 different conclusions. The first shop says that it needs a new Ram Rod because the signals are stopping there and the sensors are not working. The second is telling me that I need a new pump because the signals are stopping at the pump. I spoke with a friend at an out of state Jaguar dealership in the service department and he said he "hardly ever" sees a pump go bad. I was hoping someone else has had the same warning light or experience and can guide me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

Christian

Welcome to the forum!

Have you attempted the manual reset procedure in the owner's manual?

Old 07-02-2014, 04:52 PM

Unfortunately I have many times.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

I cannot see how you would need a pump since your top does cycle up and down.

It could be mechanical, it could be an electrical position sensor of which there are several (or the wiring to one), or it could be the controller module . Unless the top had been mechanically impacted, I would say a sensor problem is most likely.

The easiest way to diagnose it is to hook up the dealer diagnostic scan tool and software tool (SDD) and monitor the sensors electronically. A Jag independent mechanic would also have the tool.

If you are a DIYer you can also get it a cheap clone on ebay on install it on your PC.

Steer very clear of the guy who wants to sell you a pump.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:46 PM

Thank you for the advice, The top does not currently cycle up or down. I just went to go pick it up from the shop and now it reads "top not latched" instead of top out of position. Thanks again for all of your help.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The luggage bar with micro switch very hard to position correctly. Top will not work if bar not perfect aligned

Last edited by Grrkitty; 07-02-2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-21-2014, 12:27 PM

So here is a quick update. Turns out that the Jaguar dealership was incorrect and my independent Jag shop was right. It was the RAM Rod and sensors causing the problem. Hope this is helpful to someone in the future.

Christian

Old 07-22-2014, 01:42 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So here is a quick update. Turns out that the Jaguar dealership was incorrect and my independent Jag shop was right. It was the RAM Rod and sensors causing the problem. Hope this is helpful to someone in the future.

Christian
small world

same thing happened to me last year and we live in the same city. N Scottsdale jaguar are a bunch of fools

what indy shop did you go too? i took mine to the dealer and then told me i had $3k of repairs needed on the top, took it the indy shop and a few hours later it was fixed.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:52 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

I let my battery die - left GPS plugged in. First of all what a PITA to get to the battery. All kinds of electric gremlins presented themselves. As a side note; the suspension without electronics controling it is aweful and the E-diff makes a huge differece. After a restart the car reset everything except the top.

My wife and I got to our destination (very late from me messing with the battery) and top up :/ Putting the top down through the mountains was missed. At the destination I did the manual reset and finally got the top down. Now it won't go up... Had some luck and it acted differently each time I disconnected the battery for a bit. 4 hours home in the sun and I looked like a Jersey Shore kid with the "tan" - I'm typically very white. get home - pull the fuse and it finally 'mostly' works.

Brought it to the dealer with 2 DAYS left of the warranty. The shop guy at first said he got it to work fine and I challenged it. A couple hours later they called and said a Hydrailic pump had failed. I love my car but this was a strike for sure. The dealer was strike to. At Mercedes; you call ahead for an appointment and when you arrive they know why you're there and they show you to your loaner and gone. At Jag I was frustrated to explain the same thing to the same person I talked to on the phone and although I was on time for my appointment it took 90 minutes before I could leave. They needed to clean a loaner and all kinds of other reasons I don't understand when they have a whole group of people standing around. Very Inefficient.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Default British Automotive Repair

British Automotive Repair Fixed my Jag. I have taken my car there for a few repairs and it is the only place I will ever service my car. The owner Gregory is extremely fair and always strives to make the car perfect and customer happy. Robbin at the front office is awesome as well. They go above and beyond when it comes to service.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

British Automotive Repair Fixed my Jag. I have taken my car there for a few repairs and it is the only place I will ever service my car. The owner Gregory is extremely fair and always strives to make the car perfect and customer happy. Robbin at the front office is awesome as well. They go above and beyond when it comes to service.

good to hear, where they are located at?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:39 AM

They are located in North Scottsdale.
8225 E Butherus Dr #3, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
(480) 596-5247

Old 09-27-2015, 08:33 AM

What was the cost of your repair? I am having the same problem.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:46 AM
Default Convertible Top Out of Position Fault - 2007 Jaguar XKR Convertible

I was putting my top down after being out of town for 4 days and not driving my 2007 Jaguar XKR Convertible. The rear windows went down and then I got the "top out of position" fault. Now the top won't go up or down and the rear windows will not go back up.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Follow the directions in the owner's manual to manually put the top down. (If the top will not move once the hydraulic valve is turned to manual. wait about 10-15 minutes for the pressure to subside...this is not clear in the owner's manual instructions).

One the top is down, put the valve back in the automatic position and try to operate it. If you still have problems, you most likely have a bad sensor in the system that needs adjustment or replacement.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 09-27-2015 at 06:55 PM.