XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CPO warranty is miss leading

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 11:45 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default CPO warranty is miss leading

CPO warranty is not a extension of the original warranty.it doesn't cover all the items in the original warranty.
My sticky soft buttons were covered under the original warranty,but the CPO doesn't cover cosmetic items.
So if you are still under the original warranty please report to your dealer ,if you have any cosmetic issues.
I got screwed ( my fault) because I didn't complain about the soft touch buttons when under the original warranty.
Hope I helped some owners.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,807 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Yes, the commonly used term "extended warranty" is very misleading.

Virtually (perhaps literally) all such 'warranties' are really insurance policies and stand alone and apart from the original manufacturer's warranty.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-13-2018, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

How much were the buttons? My volume one has been rubbed smooth by the last guy...

Old 04-13-2018, 01:45 PM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

I also found out the hard way. Interior trim items are not covered by select / cpo coverage.

The dealer wants thousands of dollars to fix the center stack sticky / worn buttons. My stereo controls are really worn and the climate buttons are sticky. I only have 29k on my 2012 XKR.. the Miami heat did them in.

I found a company online that has done the refurbishment of all the XK buttons. You send him the complete unit and he sends it back better than new. I think the cost was around $400.

Dash, headliner are also not covered covered under CPO. The XK has issues with all those items...

Joe

Old 04-13-2018, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,807 Likes on 7,120 Posts

I've 'repaired' sticky buttons on Ferraris with rubbing alcohol, FWIW

Cheers
DD

Old 04-13-2018, 02:24 PM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts

Even if the buttons are replaced under warranty, the problem is they will eventually get gummy again, so I think it's better to correct the problem.

I went through this same saga with the sticky buttons on my 2013. Good news is the soft touch coating can be scraped off without affecting the underlying lettering or illumination. My thread about this here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uttons-175208/

In that thread, I only did the center console buttons since they were the worst offenders at the time, but I recently finished the rest of the areas with the coating such as the steering wheel area surrounding the controls for the radio and cruise control. Also the buttons on the center dash for the AC. With practice it doesnt take that much effort to scrape off, but it is time consuming. Start with a fingernail or credit card to get it going. I've found it's actually easier to scrape most of it off while dry rather than trying to dissolve it first with Goo Gone or something similar. When it's mostly gone, Goo Gone or even just wipes with alcohol do a good job clearing out the rest. Going over the bare buttons after with an armor all type wipe evens out the color of the underlying plastic and will make it look like new. Do keep in mind the black plastic surrounds in the steering wheel are a little different from the actual buttons and seem a little soffter, so be more careful when scraping the soft touch coating in the surrounds. But any appearance of light scratching disappears when you go over it with an armor all type wipe.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

I would be concerned using alcohol on anything that had painted logo's, alcohol would probably clean the sticky off but might remove logo as well. I have a friend that used simply green with good success. I bet goo gone would work as well... With anything I would try it in a small area that is least noticeable first.

Edited: Looks like Simon Tan beat me to it on the goo gone recommendation... I have to get faster with my post, I have been beat out twice this week, lol

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 04-13-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:37 PM

The stickiness can be cleaned off. It痴 the lettering that痴 going to need to be repaired professionally.

its a bummer.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:19 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Sticky RX Refinishing Solutions ? Refinishing Services for Exotic Car Interiors

https://stickynomore.com

StickyNoMore did my 575.

Popular on the Ferrari boards. Good guys. No affiliation.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

There are a few places that can fix sticky buttons. All the cars under the FIAT umbrella suffer this. Why they continue to paint them the same way is beyond me.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,187 Likes on 3,107 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
How much were the buttons? My volume one has been rubbed smooth by the last guy...
Yep, the one on the steering wheel, right? Me too. I considered taking a hot knife and recutting some grooves...

Old 04-13-2018, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by S-Typer
The dealer wants thousands of dollars to fix the center stack sticky / worn buttons. My stereo controls are really worn and the climate buttons are sticky. I only have 29k on my 2012 XKR.. the Miami heat did them in.

I found a company online that has done the refurbishment of all the XK buttons. You send him the complete unit and he sends it back better than new. I think the cost was around $400.

The stickiness can be cleaned off. It’s the lettering that’s going to need to be repaired professionally.

its a bummer.
If you read the thread I linked (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...8/#post1605264), you'll see the letters and illumination do not get affected whatsoever when you remove the gummy coating. If its black paint, it's tough as hell, as it did not scratch or scrape off at all when I was rubbing off the soft coat layer. I can post pics of everywhere I removed the soft coat layer. It all came off without a trace and without any damage. Knowing this, I think it would be absurd to go through the trouble and expense removing parts or buttons to send out for repair. I will qualify my experience as only being with a 2013 model, but as I understand it, only the 2012+ models had the soft touch coating, and earlier models had a metallic finish with green illumination and didn't suffer from the gummy soft coat.

Last edited by Simon Tan; 04-13-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 414 Posts

Common issue on all Italian cars too. Rub it off and keep driving!

Old 04-13-2018, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
How would it work to cut a section of black knurled aluminum bar to width, then hollow out the back to fit in place.

You could do all the buttons that way.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
If you read the thread I linked (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...8/#post1605264), you'll see the letters and illumination do not get affected whatsoever when you remove the gummy coating. If its black paint, it's tough as hell, as it did not scratch or scrape off at all when I was rubbing off the soft coat layer. I can post pics of everywhere I removed the soft coat layer. It all came off without a trace and without any damage. Knowing this, I think it would be absurd to go through the trouble and expense removing parts or buttons to send out for repair. I will qualify my experience as only being with a 2013 model, but as I understand it, only the 2012+ models had the soft touch coating, and earlier models had a metallic finish with green illumination and didn't suffer from the gummy soft coat.
I値l take pics of my buttons. The white lettering is already gone and they are sticky. The source button is the worst. Looks like a 1994 civic 😑.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by dsd
Sticky RX Refinishing Solutions ? Refinishing Services for Exotic Car Interiors

https://stickynomore.com

StickyNoMore did my 575.

Popular on the Ferrari boards. Good guys. No affiliation.
Thats the company I致e heard about. Glad they do good work.

Joe

Old 04-14-2018, 11:49 AM

I’ll take pics of my buttons. The white lettering is already gone and they are sticky. The source button is the worst. Looks like a 1994 civic ��.
Aw, that sucks. I'm curious to see what it looks like, as that's what I was worried about happening when I first started with removing gummy layer from the console buttons. Did the whole button start smearing and turning white so that everything illuminates besides the original lettering? This is a pic of mine illuminated with all the soft touch layer gone.

Attached Thumbnails CPO warranty is miss leading-img_0163.jpg  
Old 04-15-2018, 02:23 PM

The buttons look terrible. The rest of the car is mint. I知 going to get more info on the refurbishment service..

The center buttons for dynamic mode and stuff look ok. I値l try to remove the sticky layer on those.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:22 PM

The buttons look terrible. The rest of the car is mint. I’m going to get more info on the refurbishment service..

The center buttons for dynamic mode and stuff look ok. I’ll try to remove the sticky layer on those.
S-Typer, after seeing this pic of your buttons, I'm going to ask you to take a leap of faith and just start scraping away with one of your fingernails on any one of those buttons (the A/C ones look worst to me). Once you get it going, start using the fleshy pad of your thumb to rub off the gummy soft coat. Then finish by wiping on some Goo Gone. It will be like tough rubber cement residue when you start out. I can almost guarantee the illuminated lettering underneath will stay intact despite all the rubbing and scraping as long as you don't use anything harder than your fingernail. You have nothing to lose since you're apparently already prepared to remove buttons or panels to send off for expensive repair anyway. Your buttons don't look any worse than mine used to. When you said your "Source" button had faded, I thought you meant the lettering had smeared off which would be very different from my experience. But from what I can see in your pic, that's just the gummy layer distorting things because it's dirty and breaking down and no longer as translucent as intended. Just take your time doing one button and see how it comes out.

Last edited by Simon Tan; 04-15-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:51 PM

I値l give it a shot! The car is going in for a new suede headliner tomorrow (actually changing the color to a slate granite color). I値l take my time on those buttons when I get it back Tuesday. I値l post pics of the results!

Thanks,
Joe

Quick Reply: CPO warranty is miss leading