XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,227 Likes on 3,416 Posts

Originally Posted by whostorm05
I just hooked mine up the same way that Rich did, but then I noticed the manual for the ctek said not to do that.

I noticed the diagram from Jaguar a few posts above this and I'm going to try to find that alternate place. Do you have to remove the trim to the left of the battery to get to it? Does anyone have a pic of their installation not attaching the negative on the battery terminal?

From my previous post #21: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-73471/page2/

Cover for battery remote access +terminal in left fender:

Note the black quick connect wire running from under the luggage panel floor to the remote access panel.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quick connect + lead alligator clip attached to the remote access +terminal:

The quick connect - lead alligator clip is attached to the -remote terminal in the spare wheel well:

Quick connect leads connected together in the trunk:

Trunk lid closes over the wire with no problems:

I've had this connection to the remote battery terminals for over 2 years with no problems whatsoever and always keep it plugged in when it's in my garage. My charger is a BatteryMINDER brand, but the CTEK alligator clips (which are larger and stronger) will work just as well. I use a CTEK on my XJ, which I described on the XJ Forum.

If this was helpful, please click Thanks on the bottom right of this post.

Stuart

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
digband (12-03-2017), ralphwg (11-16-2014), whostorm05 (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I think it's worth mentioning that you probably should NOT keep any trickle chargers permanently connected to the electrical system. Most any device, including the chargers, draw power from the battery so, unless plugged in, it can actually speed up the discharge. Minor discharge but, enough for me to disconnect it when not plugged in.

When I leave for extended periods (weeks) I rather disconnect these chargers than risk any component failure and potential damage from overcharging or something else. A fully charged battery in good condition should hold enough charges for at least 3-4 weeks without a charger while not losing more than about 25 percent of its capacity (figuring a 100 A/hour battery with a normal discharge rates of 40 milliamps).

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 511 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
I think it's worth mentioning that you probably should NOT keep any trickle chargers permanently connected to the electrical system. Most any device, including the chargers, draw power from the battery so, unless plugged in, it can actually speed up the discharge. Minor discharge but, enough for me to disconnect it when not plugged in.

When I leave for extended periods (weeks) I rather disconnect these chargers than risk any component failure and potential damage from overcharging or something else. A fully charged battery in good condition should hold enough charges for at least 3-4 weeks without a charger while not losing more than about 25 percent of its capacity (figuring a 100 A/hour battery with a normal discharge rates of 40 milliamps).

Actually, the point of these chargers is to have them hooked up to your car when the car is not being used for extended periods of time. Most of the new cars at the Jaguar dealership have these chargers hooked up to them. Our cars do draw from the battery when not in use and will eventually shorten the life of the battery as well as causing havoc to the vulnerable electrical system. The CTEK was one of the best investments I've made after purchasing my car last year. It is always connected and my battery is always fully charged.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Also would it be the same for MY2008 as 12? I removed the spare tire trim and then the fastener for the left trim piece. Pulled the trim piece up and saw a large ground connection. I didn't try removing it yet as it appears the bolt is likely larger than the eyelet of the ctek connector. I might go ahead and unscrew it and see if it looks like I could use the same connector.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Actually, the point of these chargers is to have them hooked up to your car when the car is not being used for extended periods of time. Most of the new cars at the Jaguar dealership have these chargers hooked up to them. Our cars do draw from the battery when not in use and will eventually shorten the life of the battery as well as causing havoc to the vulnerable electrical system. The CTEK was one of the best investments I've made after purchasing my car last year. It is always connected and my battery is always fully charged.
Leaving them hooked up would be fine under ideal circumstances. However, I have read a number of reports where the chargers failed to limit the charge into fully charged batteries, causing extensive damage to the battery and its surrounds. Dealers can leave them hooked up because someone is always there, hopefully picking up on signs of failure (smell, puddle of acids, etc). However, when I am gone for weeks with no one to attend to the car; that is the issue and risk.

Dealers MUST continually charge Jaguars at their showrooms because people are opening doors and activating lights and computers. That will very quickly discharge the battery. For them, what ever risks exist with charging it is negligible compared to the negative customer perception of "Low Battery Warnings" on all showroom cars. When the car is in your garage, locked, key at least 30" away you should be able to go 3-4 weeks without any auxiliary charging arrangements. I actually measured the discharge rates on my Jaguars and they fall into the normal 40 mA range. Just don't wake the car needlessly, because then it draws HUGE amounts of power.

Trickle chargers are useful when cars are driven short distances where the charging system do not have the time to replenish the battery charges drawn during starting (400+ Amps) or in cases of "garage queens" that spend months sitting in the garage without being driven sufficient distances to charge the battery.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:23 PM

Thanks Stuart just saw your reply. I'm going to take a look and see if I can find those connections.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:49 PM

I must be blind today as I looked behind those black quick access panels on both the driver and passenger side and did not see any positive battery connections. I did see a large ground on the driver side.

My car is an 08 XKR.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by whostorm05
I must be blind today as I looked behind those black quick access panels on both the driver and passenger side and did not see any positive battery connections. I did see a large ground on the driver side.

My car is an 08 XKR.
I assume you saw the large black rubber boot which if you remove it and put a meter on it you will see it is the + side of the battery and not a ground.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I assume you saw the large black rubber boot which if you remove it and put a meter on it you will see it is the + side of the battery and not a ground.

Let me get out my meter and take a look.

I attached a pic of what I see. Not sure why it uploaded it sideways. I am assuming everyone is talking about the one to the right in the pic with the black rubber sticking up on it.

Attached Thumbnails CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation-20141116_145443.jpg  
Old 11-16-2014, 02:20 PM

Thanks everyone. That appears to be have done it. I found a post with no screw on it in the spare tire area which I used for ground. Pics below. Let me know if anyone notices anything which might be an issue but the CTEK is reporting it's charging.

Attached Thumbnails CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation-20141116_151054.jpg   CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation-20141116_151101.jpg   CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation-20141116_151120.jpg  

Last edited by whostorm05; 11-16-2014 at 02:51 PM.
dcmackintosh (11-21-2017)
Old 11-16-2014, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

You got it.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Do you guys leave the charger plugged in when it's not connected to the car?

Rich

Old 11-16-2014, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,193 Likes on 903 Posts

Yes, but I put it on standby.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 511 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Rw99

Rich

No. When I take my car out for a drive, the first thing I do is unplug the charger from the wall, and then disconnect from the charger. I don't leave my charger plugged in when not in use.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I leave the charger plugged in. It doesn't seem to have any negative effects.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rw99

Rich
No.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Just so we are on the same page there is a difference from a trickle charger vs. a smart charger. Look up the deference and you can see you can leave the smart chargers on forever but you should not leave a trickle charger on for a long time.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

When the car is in your garage, locked, key at least 30" away you should be able to go 3-4 weeks without any auxiliary charging arrangements.
I understand that locking the car shuts most "electrical drains" off. But can anyone explain the need to keep the key a set distance away. Does it have to do with the car/key transponder activating?

Bob

Old 11-17-2014, 01:11 PM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Trickle Charger Vs Smart Chargers

I'm just an old retired Trust Officer who doesn't know jacksh*t about anything electrical, but here's what I've been told. Back in the 60s, 70s (and maybe even into the 80s) car battery chargers, including so-called 'trickle chargers' were either ON or OFF. Therefore, if they were left ON indefinitely, they'd boil the acid solution out of the battery and ruin it. But, thanks to the invention of micro-processors, most modern-day car battery chargers contain these micro-processors which allow them to continually monitor the charging process. Unlike old-fashion chargers, they have the capability to determine when the battery is 100% charged and, at that time, they know to turn OFF and go into sleep mode ... but still continually monitor the charging process. They stay 'asleep' until they determine when the battery has dropped to say 90% charged, at which point, they know to turn back ON and charge the battery back up to 100%. Like I said, I'm no expert, but it's my understanding.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GrtShrk
I understand that locking the car shuts most "electrical drains" off. But can anyone explain the need to keep the key a set distance away. Does it have to do with the car/key transponder activating?

Bob
Bob,

That's correct, from what I understand. It's a proximity key and transmits a signal whether or not you press it. That signal can "wake up" the car and possibly drain a weak battery, even if you lock the doors.

To prevent the key's signal from reaching the car, you can keep the key in a metal box, which is what I do. My garage is adjacent to my kitchen, and I'm too lazy to walk 30 feet to get the car key.

Stuart

P.S. I recommend keeping a spare battery for your key in your glove box, just in case your fob dies.

Last edited by Stuart S; 11-17-2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
GrtShrk (11-17-2014)

Quick Reply: CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation