Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Custom cup holders

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Really? It's cupholders that underscores the dichotomy of existence for a Jaguar XK?
Yes, do they design a purists traditional British car, or be more accommodating to the culture of the target market.
(what would the American pickup truck look like if China was its largest consumer?)

Keep in mind, in traditional England the concept of eating and drinking while driving is as foreign as putting vinegar on fries is to you.
In fact, I noticed in McDonalds in Michigan they served malt vinegar. In UK McDonalds existed for decades without any drivethru whatsoever.
To the best of my knowledge there were no drive-throughs of any sort until 1990.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
24k of X150's sold in the USA since 2006
29k of X150's sold in the UK since 2006

Means that 17% more were sold in the UK, do you just pull figures out of your imagination Q&C or do you just like making informed statements with no basis in fact?
Do you know how many JLRs were sold in all of Europe last year- 138,00. In USA that number was 128,000.
Until China just came about in the last few years and became Jaguar's #1 market- it was USA.

I understand that you were speaking strictly of the XK, however, that's just it, the XK cant exist without shared parts from its siblings.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 11-21-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Do you know how many JLRs were sold in all of Europe last year- 138,00. In USA that number was 128,000.
Until China just came about in the last few years and became Jaguar's #1 market- it was USA.

I understand that you were speaking strictly of the XK, however, that's just it, the XK cant exist without shared parts from its siblings.
Please check, but you did not mention JLR in your post only 'Jaguar XK' so in that you were....erm....not right

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Please check, but you did not mention JLR in your post only 'Jaguar XK' so in that you were....erm....not right
I dont like being right- but there is a point that goes to the heart of the topic being discussed.
I bring it up only to emphasize Jaguar's challenge- they can effectively only afford to make one car for all markets and across the entire product line.
So,Its a knee-bone is connected to the thigh-bone kindergarten song thing.
Xk is made by Jaguar- Jaguar is made by JLR- JLR's main market is USA*.
(*even today-They do sell more in China, but they respond to trends are established in USA, at least for luxury)

Old 11-21-2018, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

If anyone has doubts where Jaguars largest market is- look no further than this Forum.
And compare it to the XK forum in UK.
Now if you were Jaguar which forum would you cater to??
Food for thought.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

It amazes me how a simple thing like cup holders can turn into such a discussion. What a great forum!

Obviously they have figured out a solution to serve the majority of consumers. Just look at the newer model XE (as I have a 2018 loaner right now because the ACC has been as worthless as the cup holders, ha) and you will see a proper cup holder design for a wide range of styles instead of trying to find a specialized cup to fit their design. Wish I could ****** it out of the XE and put in my XKR, but that would be too easy.

Thank you everyone for the input and if it sounds odd to eat/drink in your vehicle, then it sounds just as odd to not have a drive thru at McDonalds. I guess they were trying to have a "classy" dining experience at the worlds fast food giant...

Old 11-21-2018, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

I dont like being right- but there is a point that goes to the heart of the topic being discussed.
I bring it up only to emphasize Jaguar's challenge- they can effectively only afford to make one car for all markets and across the entire product line.
So,Its a knee-bone is connected to the thigh-bone kindergarten song thing.
Xk is made by Jaguar- Jaguar is made by JLR- JLR's main market is USA*.
(*even today-They do sell more in China, but they respond to trends are established in USA, at least for luxury)
You say USA, OK then
413.5k JLR vehicles sold in the UK 2013-2017
487.9k JLR vehicles sold in the North America 2013-2017

So that gives the continent of North America an advantage of 74.4k

Of that 69.3k were sold in Canada over that period, so in actual fact in the USA JLR only sold just over 5k more cars than in the UK, but I'll give you that it is a larger market, just not by the margin (less than 2%) that some may think

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...egional-sales/

And, by the same token Porsche, Bugatti, Bentley and Lambo forums will seldom mention their parent companies, but will keep to the actual model that the forum describes, hence the reason I quoted the XK figures earlier...which were larger in the UK than US.

But the question you raised was as to how they can possibly make money and pay for sky high repair costs, I guess it's that our cars (whether you choose Jaguar or holistically JLR) cars are loss leaders when the majority are cash cows? Or was that another thread...my mind goes off on a wander sometimes...sigh!

Last edited by MarkyUK; 11-21-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Cee Jay (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fataboy01
the ACC has been as worthless as the cup holders
How would you improve the Adaptive Cruise Control?
Many here swear by it.
To me, both cup holders and cruise control on a sports car are worth teats on a bull.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

I had ACC in my Super V8. Didn't care for it myself. Every time a car sped by me and cut into my lane, the ACC slowed me down, causing the guy behind me to go around and get in front of me where the ACC slowed me down, causing the guy behind me......

I'm ok with standard cruise control and use it in residential commercial areas where speed traps abound but no more on the highway.

Queen and Country (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts
Default The Cupholder That Changed the World

Speaking of cupholders ... We owe a debt of gratitude to Howard Hughes, the legendary and quirky American entrepreneur, movie maker, engineer and designer of the Spruce Goose, the world's largest airplane at the time, for using his knowledge of engineering to invent a unique cantilever and underwire design for a cupholder. And that changed the world for the betterment of mankind.
https://hiddenremote.com/2014/08/05/...ld-better-bra/

Last edited by Stuart S; 11-21-2018 at 09:57 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Stuart S:
fataboy01 (11-27-2018), guy (11-25-2018), LoudHogRider (11-28-2018), pwpacp (11-23-2018), Queen and Country (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Speaking of cupholders ... We owe a debt of gratitude to Howard Hughes,
Just Brilliant!!!
Good show Sir

Stuart S (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 11:29 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

As I have mentioned before, when I got my XK (admittedly an X100 XK8), the first advice I got (well, second after "check the tensioners") was:

Cup holder often fails. When operational it works better to distribute contents of cup(s) over back seat beforehand as that is where contents will end up when under heavy acceleration - this is normal. You can also dump it in your lap or the passengers lap if you plan to turn first. Either action saves a step and comes as less of a surprise.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

I'm ok with standard cruise control and use it in residential commercial areas where speed traps abound but no more on the highway.
Living in "speed trap" country, that is exactly what mine gets used for most!

Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I had ACC in my Super V8. Didn't care for it myself. Every time a car sped by me and cut into my lane, the ACC slowed me down, causing the guy behind me to go around and get in front of me where the ACC slowed me down, causing the guy behind me......

That is what my biggest hangup is with the ACC. People cut in all of the time and then I'm slowed down again and again and again... (almost as much as they do in MN Sean W, lol) Then the lovely system picks up a vehicle in the right lane and brakes hard and system errors out and cannot use again until car is shut off and started again. Then it appears to sense random objects and shuts down over and over. It was at the dealer for repairs last week (4 days) and they tried flashing the system 3 times with no luck. They have contacted JLR and are waiting for further instructions. I did give them the possible fix from a previous thread from a dealer in Canada related to the silver vehicles having an issue. They are going to attempt this fix this week as well.

The odd part, I picked the car up for a mountain drive and about 1.5 hours into the drive, the warning light shut off (was on due to the attempted flashing) and the ACC worked for the rest of the trip. Who knows at this point, will let the dealer figure it out this week.

It was a blast to drive on the twisted roads with the paddle shifts!

Old 11-26-2018, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

I use my Adaptive Cruise all the time and am very pleased with it. It's not perfect, but if you know its shortcomings you can turn it off when necessary. For example, on very curvy roads it will pick up oncoming traffic and brake when it's not necessary, so I leave ACC off.

It's just too easy to get a ticket for inadvertently going too fast. ACC has saved me from my lead foot.

Cee Jay (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 05:54 PM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

To me, both cup holders and cruise control on a sports car are worth teats on a bull.
But the XK/XKR is a grand tourer, not a sports car. BMW nearly forgot the cup holders on the E6x generation 6-series and ended up having put this awkward, flimsy contraption in to satisfy customer demand. On the other hand, my wife had a third generation (NC) MX-5 (Mazda Miata to those in the US), that had two seats and four cup holders. Go figure...

The following 2 users liked this post by 8bit:
Cee Jay (11-26-2018), Queen and Country (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by 8bit
But the XK/XKR is a grand tourer, not a sports car. BMW nearly forgot the cup holders on the E6x generation 6-series and ended up having put this awkward, flimsy contraption in to satisfy customer demand. On the other hand, my wife had a third generation (NC) MX-5 (Mazda Miata to those in the US), that had two seats and four cup holders. Go figure...
That's cuz miatas aren't really 'sports car's. Sorta like a VW beetle with a body kit, but built for women.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

If the cup holders were any more useful you would need to install an urinal.
Change the cups, find ones that fit just right and make those dedicated jaag cups.
If you drink out of the paper disposable cups -you should not, first time that lid comes off and you spill the coffee, your interior is ruined

Eating and drinking in cars is an American thing. Cut them some slack, they are decidedly a British car.
AND WE IN AMERICA ARE AWESOME
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...st-cupholders/

Old 11-26-2018, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

CUP. HOLDERS. An oldie that's still true:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Decision---Cup

Old 11-27-2018, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

Here is a great article on cup holders are an American thing.
How U.S. car design came to include cup holders.

Perhaps the novelty of inadequate cup holders in European cars can be used to an advantage of pointing to passengers that there is no place for their drinks.
The day that jaguar has good cup holders it wont be worth owing. Because if they capitulate to designing for their largest market the USA, they will be homogeneous with the rest, I think its getting there now.

Quick Reply: Custom cup holders