Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dash options..

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Dash options..

Hey Guys,

I’m slowly working on bringing my 2012 XKR to a mint level. I was able to find a new center stack to replace the worn/ sticky buttons. I did the ultra suede perforated headliner in slate grey (was originally oyster and sagging).

My CPO warranty hooked it up on new blower snout, water pump and a few other things. Car is running awesome.

Unfortunately, we all know that most trim items aren’t covered under warranty. My dash is showing it’s age after 6 years and 30k miles. The Florida sun isn’t friendly.

I have pulling above the center vents and I can see the dash board underneath. I also see that the finish / gloss is uneven as it’s shrinking and showing the uncoated part of the leather.

I was able to get goodwill from Jaguar to replace the dash for $1800ish. That’s labor and install. I nice discount but I hate to pay that amount for something that shouldn’t have failed in the first place.

Whats your thoughts on a ultra suede dash? I would do it in the same color as the headliner (non perforated). Does the stiching have to be in the same area to allow airbag to open? I have ivory / oyster stiching on the dash and I’m sure I can have a high end shop replicate the pattern.
I would do the labor of taking dash in and out (not super easy). I have a air conditioned garage with lots of light.

New Astons.. Lamborghini’s and even the F -Type SVR has the Suede dash..
Thoughts?

Last edited by S-Typer; 08-11-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:26 PM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by S-Typer

I was able to get goodwill from Jaguar to replace the dash for $1800ish. That’s labor and install. I nice discount but I hate to pay that amount for something that shouldn’t have failed in the first place.

OMG dude, I know that is a chunk and you shouldn't have to...but man you really should take advantage of that. If you do that and use a Sunshield religiously you should be set for a long time!

I know you know how much they are new...but the scarier thing is they are being sold out and discontinued very quickly (I think Charcoal/cranberry is already Disco). Perfect used ones will be non-existent in a few years.

Think about what is always in your face 100% of each and every time you drive your XKR....for the rest of the time you own it.

Maybe try another angle...ask them to buy the dash at the deeply discounted price and stash it for later until you can budget for a proper install (which is not that hard).

One way or another, forget wheels and Black stuff for now and GET THAT DASH!! You will thank me years from now.

Just a thought, and Happy Saturday,

Dave

Old 08-11-2018, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by 10XKR
OMG dude, I know that is a chunk and you shouldn't have to...but man you really should take advantage of that. If you do that and use a Sunshield religiously you should be set for a long time!
I agree with Dave. If you can get a new dash for $1800; take it.

The suede isn't going to work unless you extend it to other parts (basically the whole) of interior. If this is an option, you wouldn't being think twice on spending $1800 for a new dash. I like the suede interiors, but when mixed with leather in a thought out design. A complete theme inside. $1800 on a new dash and then do tartan accents in on the door panel and seat centers! Would be awesome.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

$1800 for a new dash direct from Jaguar is a steal but still a lot of money. Before I repaired mine, I had gotten an estimate for $1300. to reupholster including new leather and matching stitching, so long as I removed the dash. As for doing the suede dash, the one issue I would be wary of would be fading. Any napped fabric (I've worked in the textile industry for 50 years) such as Ultrasuede, Passion Suede, or any of the other synthetic suedes will want to fade from direct sunlight hitting it. And the darker the color like charcoal or black, the faster and the more color it will lose. As a headliner, there isn't much direct light hitting it, so it isn't as much of an issue.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (08-13-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Hey! Some of your Lexol got absorbed through the stitching!

Old 08-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,144 Likes on 3,385 Posts
Cee Jay (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Get yours fixed. As said above, someone tried to treat it and instead damaged it. The dash leather is almost a painted process and pretty conditioner proof.

Sun shield was @ $40 off eBay.

Edit to add that you couldn't pay me to install suede on the dash. That stuff will be out of style in a couple years, like the denim interior on the '70's AMC's or plaid anything from the late '70's.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:46 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I’ll call the dealer and get the replacement OEM dash installed. I tried everything on this dash.. griots.. Lexol..cleaned it very carefully. It was too far gone when I got it..

I did read some old posts saying that even replaced dashboards still fail (even after careful sun exposure). I have a sun shade I use.. The PO must have had too much money to care 😂.

The rest of the car is 100%.. the dash is terrible lol.

I’ll keep you guys posted on the install!

Joe

mosesbotbol (08-12-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 07:01 PM

Hi Joe,

Brilliant!! I think if you keep up with it, that dash will last you the rest of your ownership, and beyond!

I bet you will smile every time you slide into that cockpit and look at that perfect dash!

Yes, please keep us posted and don't forget some pics so I can drool over them!!

Have a great evening,

Dave

Last edited by 10XKR; 08-11-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:08 PM

Joe,

Forgot to add, right before you go in to get the dash replaced, pop out your defrost grilles so you can sell them to me....Or at least consider it, LOL

Have a great one,

Dave

Old 08-11-2018, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,144 Likes on 3,385 Posts

As mentioned in other threads, make sure that the installer not only uses glue but also wraps the front edge of the leather around and under the backing and staples the underside to the backing so it can't pull away if it shrinks.

This additional step probably is not in the repair manual, so you'll have to instruct your dealer in writing to do it. I'd ask him to take photos so you are assured that it was done. Otherwise, the new dash cover will shrink and pull away just like the original.

Last edited by Stuart S; 08-11-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

When I had Jaguar install a new dash in mine in 2016, I was disappointed to see that the design of the 2007 manufacture dated removed from my 2008 and the 2015 dated replacement were identical in assembly including how the leather was glued and how much leather there was pulled around the edge (very little). However I opted to not modify anything as the only reason I replaced the dash was because of a bubble that had started to form by the centre speaker hump and the foam backing had failed (finger presses on the leather would remain permanent) otherwise it still looked new and was still firmly attached. Though a Florida car, it has spent little time in the sun and in the last 5-6 years it has spent most of it's time indoors. I even opted to replace all of the OEM Alston suede parts with new OEM parts as previous experience with aftermarket Alcantara never ever came close enough to OEM fit and finish. If I get another 8-10 years, I'll be thrilled.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:52 AM

That’s for all the suggestions. I’ll save the suede dash for a future V12 Vantage 😀.

I’ll ask about them stapling the dash. Dealers never like to modify OEM parts.. but since It’s a paid service, they may work with me.

I’ve also heard about this:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2716668&rt=rud

This should really help with the impact of sun on the dash. It should also keep the Black/Black car cooler.

Dave, I’ll make sure I get all the original parts back after they do the swap. I’ll let you know what I have.

Joe

Old 08-12-2018, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

I’ve also heard about this:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2716668&rt=rud

This should really help with the impact of sun on the dash. It should also keep the Black/Black car cooler.

There is at least one Forum member who has this product installed, and he says he LOVES it. He has it on the windshield also, if I recall correctly.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM

Dave, I’ll make sure I get all the original parts back after they do the swap. I’ll let you know what I have.

Joe
Thank you Joe, you are a good man!! I am excited for you getting the new dash, that will make it feel and look like a new Car inside, I am sooooooo jealous!

Please tell them to go easy on those vents, they are fragile as heck. :-)

Have a great evening,

Dave

Old 08-12-2018, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

What else should do now that the dash is out. This opportunity doesn't happen much.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

On the replacement dash, since the design is the same as what caused the problem and there is not enough leather to wrap around and staple on the back side, insist on them stapling on the front lip and then glue a little flat black braid or welt which you can have prepared in advance. Also, while the center speaker cover is removed, staple all the way around the center speaker through the leather. The speaker cover will hide the staples. This is the only way you can insure that it won't happen again.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Being that the dash is out why can't a good upholsterer replicate the cover with added material so it can be better secured. It doesn't look like a difficult thing to match and you could get whatever stitching you want. Is the concern the color match.Just askin

Queen and Country (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
On the replacement dash, since the design is the same as what caused the problem and there is not enough leather to wrap around and staple on the back side, insist on them stapling on the front lip and then glue a little flat black braid or welt which you can have prepared in advance. Also, while the center speaker cover is removed, staple all the way around the center speaker through the leather. The speaker cover will hide the staples. This is the only way you can insure that it won't happen again.
There is plenty of leather in the beginning but its circumcised according to leather making traditions.
If they left more it would not make any difference, as when the foam failed you would still have a loose bubbly dash.
My upholster puts a really smart looking metal trim where the dash and windshield meet. He says its superior to staples and solves the problem entirely.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
ralphwg (08-13-2018), tberg (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

There are always areas where the adhesive has failed and the leather is disattached, however, since the leather is now anchored once the staples are in at the windshield and around the center speaker, the air bubbles do not show because the leather is stretched tightly. I can feel areas (on each side of the center stack where it slopes down where I can tell the adhesive has given up (by touching it). But, there is no visible signs, it looks perfect because it has nowhere to bubble up, it's stretched very tightly from the "anchors." Whether you used stapes or the metal trim you've described, the point is that something other than weak glue is holding the leather in place.

Quick Reply: Dash options..