XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Daytime Running Lights DRL Question 09 XK

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking Daytime Running Lights DRL Question 09 XK

Rookie question. My understanding is that this model is equipped with Daytime Running Lights. However when the car is running and lights in automatic I do not see them lighted. I'm confused. Nothing new LOL

Old 01-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

XKGuy,

Welcome to the Forum! You'll find lots of helpful info here.

From the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website: (here's the link:IIHS-HLDI )

"Laws in Canada and many European countries require vehicles to operate with lights on during the daytime. Canada requires vehicles made after Dec. 1, 1989, to be equipped with DRLs. The European Union requires DRLs for new cars and small vans under a law that took effect in February 2011. New trucks and buses in the EU must have DRLs starting in August 2012.

No U.S. state mandates DRLs, but some require drivers to operate vehicles with lights on in bad weather."

From the 2009 Owner's Handbook:
Daylight running lamps
(Canada only)
In certain countries it is a legal requirement for the lamps to be on during the hours of daylight. With the rotary collar in the OFF position, low
beam headlamps, side lamps, tail, number plate lamps and, where fitted, side marker lamps will switch on automatically with the following conditions:
• The ignition is on.
• The vehicle gear selector out of park.
• The parking brake is not applied (is released).

Although equipped with DRLs, they apparently don't work automatically on USA 2009 models (with the rotary collar in the OFF position) as they do in Canada. I think you have to turn the rotary collar to the ON position for the DRLs to work. I haven't checked my 2009, but will do so soon.

Owner's Handbooks are available online: TOPIx - TOPIx

1. Click on your language (English)
2. Scroll down to United States, click Select
3. Select XK/X150 from dropdown box
4. Select Model Year (2009) from dropdown box, click Find
5. Click Owner in upper right corner
6. Click Owner's Handbook in upper left corner
7. Click topic(s) of interest on left side

Hope this helps!

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
XKGuy (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Stuart S
XKGuy,

Welcome to the Forum! You'll find lots of helpful info here.

From the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website: (here's the link:IIHS-HLDI )

"Laws in Canada and many European countries require vehicles to operate with lights on during the daytime. Canada requires vehicles made after Dec. 1, 1989, to be equipped with DRLs. The European Union requires DRLs for new cars and small vans under a law that took effect in February 2011. New trucks and buses in the EU must have DRLs starting in August 2012.

No U.S. state mandates DRLs, but some require drivers to operate vehicles with lights on in bad weather."

From the 2009 Owner's Handbook:
Daylight running lamps
(Canada only)
In certain countries it is a legal requirement for the lamps to be on during the hours of daylight. With the rotary collar in the OFF position, low
beam headlamps, side lamps, tail, number plate lamps and, where fitted, side marker lamps will switch on automatically with the following conditions:
• The ignition is on.
• The vehicle gear selector out of park.
• The parking brake is not applied (is released).

Although equipped with DRLs, they apparently don't work automatically on USA 2009 models (with the rotary collar in the OFF position) as they do in Canada. I think you have to turn the rotary collar to the ON position for the DRLs to work. I haven't checked my 2009, but will do so soon.

Owner's Handbooks are available online: TOPIx - TOPIx

1. Click on your language (English)
2. Scroll down to United States, click Select
3. Select XK/X150 from dropdown box
4. Select Model Year (2009) from dropdown box, click Find
5. Click Owner in upper right corner
6. Click Owner's Handbook in upper left corner
7. Click topic(s) of interest on left side

Hope this helps!

Stuart
Interesting Stuart. Thanks for the info. K think DRL are an excellent safety feature. I wonder if they can be programmed to stay on?

Old 01-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by XKGuy
Interesting Stuart. Thanks for the info. K think DRL are an excellent safety feature. I wonder if they can be programmed to stay on?
Yes they can. I had the service department at the local dealership do this free of charge.

XKGuy (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Just go to your Jaguar dealer and they will program your computer takes about 10 min ,dont know what they charge in us .but they rip us off at $250. in Canada. prob because we bought our cars in the us.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by tommyd
Yes they can. I had the service department at the local dealership do this free of charge.
Great info on my next trip to the dealer I will have them program the DRL What position do the lights have to be in for them to work after programming?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 AM

At dealer having DRL programmed.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

At dealer having DRL programmed.
I'd be interested in which arm and which leg they charged you. Thank you.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I put a small piece of black tape over the front of the sensor on the dashboard and leave the rotary knob in auto. The lights think it is night all the time and come on when the ignition is on. Don't even notice the tape, took 15 seconds and cost 0.003 cents for the piece of tape.

Best to all,

Deabs (12-22-2021)
Old 01-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Why not just leave the switch on "on"? Also, DRLs, don't you typically only want the front lights on?

Deabs (12-22-2021)
Old 01-18-2013, 08:09 PM

Yup, could leave the lights in the "on" position. However, when you shut the car off and open the door you get the chimes that something is amiss. Now you need to manually turn the lights off or I suppose leave them on and walk away. Perhaps they'll eventually turn off but now one is using battery power which I've found is not the wisest thing to do with one of these chariots. With my tape over the sensor, ignition on lights on and ignition off lights off, with no chimes. I believe this functions similarly to DRLs.

And yes, I do want my taillights on. In my opinion I have less reaction time and options to the stupid drivers behind me than I do to those in front of me.

There are any number of ways to skin the proverbial kitty. Mine works for me and it might not for anyone else.

Warmest regards,

Last edited by TFlan; 01-18-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Grammatical
Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

I'm just curious why the XK/R has no DRLs programmed in. On my X350, the DRLs were an option in the "vehicle options" menu on the touch screen.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:22 AM

IDS computer programming and WALA I have DRL's. they just lie dormant until they are programmed to awaken. Strange. IMHO I think DRL serve as one of the best safety features available.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TFlan
I put a small piece of black tape over the front of the sensor on the dashboard and leave the rotary knob in auto. The lights think it is night all the time and come on when the ignition is on. Don't even notice the tape, took 15 seconds and cost 0.003 cents for the piece of tape.

Best to all,
Tom
Great post! Would u mind posting a picture where the sensor is on the dash?
Thanks in advance!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 AM

Creative solution however the resultant would be your tail lights being on as well. The programming of my DRL just have the headlights activated.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by hawaii
Tom
Great post! Would u mind posting a picture where the sensor is on the dash?
Thanks in advance!
Sorry, am not tech savvy enough to post pictures.

The sensor is the little nub located on the top center on the dashboard close to the windshield. The rear half of the sensor houses the red flasher for the security/alarm system. The front portion of that nub is the light sensor for the auto headlight function.

I put a small piece of black tape over the front half yet the red alarm flasher is still visible. Since the area where the sensor is located is black, even on my caramel (tan) interior, the tape is virtually invisible.

If this minor league attempt of an explanation is not clear please PM me.

Best regards,

Last edited by TFlan; 01-20-2013 at 08:59 PM.
v8deuce (09-24-2017)
Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

Creative solution however the resultant would be your tail lights being on as well. The programming of my DRL just have the headlights activated.
Wouldn't it also affect the automatic-dimming of the instrument cluster and nav/touch screen? Possibly also climate control?

Old 01-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

IDS computer programming and WALA I have DRL's. they just lie dormant until they are programmed to awaken. Strange. IMHO I think DRL serve as one of the best safety features available.
Out of curiosity, what was the cost?

Old 01-24-2013, 02:44 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts
Default Had my DRL turned on by dealer

I had my DRL turned on by the dealer because it is the law in Canada. My 2011 XKR 175 was bought in the US. The dealer took about an hour to do the job. They had the hood up and the battery access area opened up. I thought it was just a matter of programming? Then they washed the car and made a mess of it. Anyone know why they needed access to the rear battery area and open the hood up? They charged me around $150.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by TFlan
Sorry, am not tech savvy enough to post pictures.

The sensor is the little nub located on the top center on the dashboard close to the windshield. The rear half of the sensor houses the red flasher for the security/alarm system. The front portion of that nub is the light sensor for the auto headlight function.

I put a small piece of black tape over the front half yet the red alarm flasher is still visible. Since the area where the sensor is located is black, even on my caramel (tan) interior, the tape is virtually invisible.

If this minor league attempt of an explanation is not clear please PM me.

Best regards,
Although this works for you, i have seen the output of this sensor used in other car functions (past car, not Jag). On my Lexus, the same sensor also provided data to the environmental controls. Guess it used ambiant sunlight levels to help calculate part of the automated temperature controls...
Not sure it pertains to our cars, but i did find it interesting to see it doing "double duty".

Vince

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights DRL Question 09 XK