Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Defrost Vent Solution

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts
Default Defrost Vent Solution

Ok, I recently repaired and wrapped my cracked defrost vents. Of course I like many others would have loved to just buy some new ones and pop them in place, but again as we all know these two plastic vents come as part of the 3k dash assembly, that’s some expensive vents... So as I was looking at my options, just in case my repair didn’t go well and it seemed like a simple layover would work since the vents are tucked down into the dash pad... So I decided to make a template of the vents while I had them out. I started with paper, then a thin piece of sheet metal and have a final pattern made out of 1/8” aluminum. Now I still have some trimming to do on final pattern but I feel once done it should be a really good fit... I am thinking about finding a machine shop with a cnc machine and getting a quote for what these overlays would cost. Of course they will need to cut some louvers in the overlays. My thoughts were if they could make them so that both sides are finished, you can use the overlay for either side since they are mirror image. I figure that these overlays could even be used in XK’s that don’t have cracks as a preventative, kind of as a UV blocking shield. Would love to get everyone’s input and ideas on this.

Needs to be a material that is somewhat UV resistant and certainly heat resistant
Needs to be material that has some flexibility because of the contour of dash, but strong enough that the louvers aren’t going to sag.
Needs to be a material that doesn't rust
Final product needs to be black in color or at least paintable or both.

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 08-20-2018 at 10:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ranchero50 (08-20-2018)

Top Answer

09-25-2018, 10:06 AM
TexasTraveler
Veteran Member

Well I finally have what I believe will be the final set of the defrost overlays. I had the shop make some adjustments to make it as close to perfect as possible. I went ahead and wrapped the set with some wrap I had. As you can see I did bend the pieces slightly to mimic the curve of the dash. I will put some very thin double sided tape on the back side and install tonight when I get home to assure it is a good fit. I have spoken with the shop and it looks like the price for these per set if anyone is interested will be $70 of course you would need to add shipping cost for me to get them to you... They would be just the raw material, not wrapped or painted, that would be up to you to decide how you want to finish them... Once installed tonight I will try and get a few pics to show you them installed in car...

Old 08-19-2018, 02:56 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm wondering if you could get those scanned in 3-D and produced via 3-D printer?

TexasTraveler (08-20-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JaguarJeffrey
I'm wondering if you could get those scanned in 3-D and produced via 3-D printer?
possibly, but I’m guessing I would need a finished piece with louvers first... But this is why I started this thread to get ideas and suggestions, so thank you...

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 08-20-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Looking forward to more pics and what your idea is.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Looking forward to more pics and what your idea is.
Here is the prototype so far... I haven't had the opportunity to see if it will be cost affect to have CNC shop make them.. Maybe a member or vendor would have the machinery to go forward with prototype? Open to suggestions...

Old 08-20-2018, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Have you given thought to having it laser cut instead of CNC? I can't speak to what the cost might be but I'd think set up would be easier and faster than CNC.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pwpacp
Have you given thought to having it laser cut instead of CNC? I can't speak to what the cost might be but I'd think set up would be easier and faster than CNC.
I have not had the opportunity to look into what the options are. But certainly would want to do whatever makes it cost effective for the masses... I just hate that there isn't a simple solution for something that should be so easy to replace...

Old 08-20-2018, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

I think you'll lose a lot of volume with the smaller slots. Maybe it'll be made up by the pressure difference increase across the ports but there may be some increases in noise as well.

I was thinking more along the lines of a thin overlay or cover that uses as much of the original porting as possible. Or do an overlay and then a front and back formed panel with a couple aiming slats to direct the air flow. Tricky part to make on a small scale, especially if you try to make it look original.

Lasers and plasma don't play well with thin parts (heat). CNC needs good fixturing to hold the part steady. My machine only has a 18" X x 12" Y work envelope so I don't think it would cut the whole part in one pass.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

I think you'll lose a lot of volume with the smaller slots. Maybe it'll be made up by the pressure difference increase across the ports but there may be some increases in noise as well.

I was thinking more along the lines of a thin overlay or cover that uses as much of the original porting as possible. Or do an overlay and then a front and back formed panel with a couple aiming slats to direct the air flow. Tricky part to make on a small scale, especially if you try to make it look original.

Lasers and plasma don't play well with thin parts (heat). CNC needs good fixturing to hold the part steady. My machine only has a 18" X x 12" Y work envelope so I don't think it would cut the whole part in one pass.
I haven't thought about possible air noise coming through the slots, good point.. Would have to test it to see if it makes excessive noise or not... I originally thought that just an open slot similar to oem, but just thought that the slotted louvers would A: make the piece stronger, B: hide any additional cracking or broken pieces of the oem vent. But I don't think it would be hard to just do a compete cut out and maybe just leave a couple connectors across the two sides to keep the shape of the overlay. Similar to the following

Old 08-20-2018, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

I first thought you were going to make a bunch of three-sided slices and then bend the loose parts down into the dash area. I don't know what the OEM ones do to deflect any air, or if there is any obstructions or not.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

So I dropped off my prototype to a shop yesterday that does water jet cutting. The guy emailed me today and said that to do a single set of these overlays would be $89.00 + tax so basically $100. He did said that if we were to do multiple sets that he would take off between 15%-25%. These would be the open cutout like Ranchero suggested. So I guess I will do a first set and see how they come out. I am going to meet with him on Friday to go over the cad drawing and make sure I get the cutouts were I want them to cover as much of the oem vent as possible but still having the widest opening for airflow. I will update with pics when I have them in my possession. Would like to know if there is any interest from other members to buy these, assuming they do the job of hiding/protecting the oem vents and look good of coarse.

The following 5 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
10XKR (08-22-2018), guy (09-26-2018), LoudHogRider (08-23-2018), Sean W (08-22-2018), winstonsalemncxk (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

I would make the prototypes by hand with a fine tooth blade jig saw setup and wood files. Even a metal nibbler from Harbor Freight will eat through 16 aluminum like butter. No shears or tin snips as they distort the finish too much. Once the design fits and works, source vendor help. You'll find your drawings will not fit the actual space once cut and if you farm that work out it's a complete waste of the vendors time. Lock in a design and then source outside help. I think your idea has merit but is very difficult to execute well.

I actually like that Jaguar hid the vents behind / under the visible plane to the windshield. At best there is a dark strip of fabric and the vents disappear into it.

TexasTraveler (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

I would make the prototypes by hand with a fine tooth blade jig saw setup and wood files. Even a metal nibbler from Harbor Freight will eat through 16 aluminum like butter. No shears or tin snips as they distort the finish too much. Once the design fits and works, source vendor help. You'll find your drawings will not fit the actual space once cut and if you farm that work out it's a complete waste of the vendors time. Lock in a design and then source outside help. I think your idea has merit but is very difficult to execute well.

I actually like that Jaguar hid the vents behind / under the visible plane to the windshield. At best there is a dark strip of fabric and the vents disappear into it.
I have made other prototypes already, so I have the measurements that I want, I just have to give them the numbers, so they can enter them in. The outside pattern is already dead on and fits perfectly into the vent opening. As for the vents being sunken into the dash, I agree I like that to. They are sunk in enough that the overlay should still be low enough that it won't be seen from driver for the most part. I think towards the doors where the dash is not as thick you might be able to start to see it. Here is a pic of one of the ones I made in car, so you can see the fit.

The following 4 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
pwpacp (08-22-2018), Ranchero50 (08-22-2018), Sean W (08-22-2018), Stuart S (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2018, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

Picked up the first set today. They look good, I will do final fitting check today when I get home. If all fits well I will be wrapping them and installing in the next few days...

The following 7 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
Cee Jay (08-29-2018), guy (09-26-2018), kj07xk (08-29-2018), Sean W (08-29-2018), shemp (08-29-2018), Stuart S (08-29-2019), winstonsalemncxk (09-25-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-29-2018, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Yeah, those look really good. Keep the pix coming.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

I'm interested in cost of course, but also how tight they will lay in place, ensuring no rattle as well as any increase in noise though I think the redesign solved for blower noise.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
I'm interested in cost of course, but also how tight they will lay in place, ensuring no rattle as well as any increase in noise though I think the redesign solved for blower noise.
My plan is to use a very thin 3m molding double-sided tape along the entire outer edge on the underside to hold in place, so rattle shouldn't be a problem. I think going with Ranchero's suggestion on the open slots should take care of any blower noise, but I will certainly test before and after install. TBH, I haven't used my defrost once, but I know some do depending on climate... Cost for one off set was quoted $75-$90... I have made friends somewhat over the past two weeks with the guys at this local shop and I did a lot of the ground work for the design, so they only charged me $60 cash today for the two pieces... Not sure if that price will hold up on future sets but I would think the more we had made at one time would help to keep cost down. Not sure about shipping cost, but pieces are made out of 16g aluminum, so weight is very light... I am not trying to make anything off of these, so whatever shop charges is what it would be. The shop is 5 minutes from my work, so its not an inconvenience, would just be doing it as a courtesy for other members...

The following 6 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
guy (09-26-2018), MarkyUK (08-31-2018), scm (10-22-2018), Sean W (08-29-2018), Stuart S (08-29-2019), winstonsalemncxk (09-25-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-29-2018, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Thank you! I will be at the top of the list. I think I'll look for some flat or matte black wrap if it can be had somewhere, to ensure the vents remain as inconspicuous as the OEM ones.

TexasTraveler (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Me too!

TexasTraveler (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 06:15 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Looks good

Quick Reply: Defrost Vent Solution